E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How do I Open a locked rear door with a ceased door actuator? $10 to the right answer

11-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
TwinSnails
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i, X5 G05

I upped my Fuses to 20A and tried the lock unlock 10 times in a row. Also tried to turn the gears manually but was unsucessful as well.

I might bring it by BMW to have a tech pick the lock for me.
      11-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #24
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Unplug the electrical connector and move out of the way.

Grab a large drift pin or chisel and a nice size hammer. Smash the living daylights out of it till the plastic pieces holding it closed are removed.
Try not to booger up the torx screws so you can remove them after you take out all the pieces.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
TwinSnails
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. I got some help from a BMW tech, friends friend, he helped me pick the lock. Now gotta buy him and his team lunch!
      11-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #26
TwinSnails
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnails View Post
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. I got some help from a BMW tech, friends friend, he helped me pick the lock. Now gotta buy him and his team lunch!
Lunch isn't bad considering!
So wait this was driver door? I would be F'd since I did the keyhole delete
Considering the dealer originally wanted $600 to replace this, I ended up spending $70 for the part shipped and $70 or so for lunch.

It was the passenger rear door. The tech mentioned the front doors are a bit easier to pick, because you can get to it through the jam between the front and rear door.
      11-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #27
Alex123E90
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Here's what you do.

Reach inside the door, and feel for where the cable from the exterior handle runs in to the actuator. Pull on the exterior handle to get a feel for how it moves. You'll feel a lever (similar to that of the interior door handle lever which you see in your photos) which is pulled by a cable that runs from the exterior handle assembly.

The actuator is currently in a nonresponsive state and to get it unstuck, you must help the mechanism by continuing the motion of the cable described above. Pull on the exterior handle, you should feel the lever (on the actuator, inside the door) move. Even after the exterior handle is pulled all the way out, you need to manually force this lever to completion by applying force in the same direction as the initial movement. You should hear a 'click', then release pressure and the door should open and actuator should be working again.

To avoid the issue in the future, simply adjust the end link of the cable (running from the exterior handle) so it is a bit shorter and pulls on it's lever to completion. You'll need to remove the actuator to do this.

PM me if you have any questions, I had to complete this process for one of my doors.
Hey, sorry for bringing this post back up but I might have the same problem with my front passenger door and its extremely frustrating, I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with it. Alright, so basically like the OP my door is stuck shut>wont open from inside or out. The locking mechanism still locks and unlocks all doors including the stuck one, so I'm not sure if its a fuse.. But how would you adjust the end link cable like you said and make it shorter? Does it twist or something? I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and try my luck...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #28
JDMullikin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sport Pkg Sedan

How was the lock picked - I have same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnails View Post
I have same issue, not fusses, not cable. Depressing the leaver fully manually still does not release the actuator. How was the locked picked and would a regular locksmith know how? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

bump on this issue. i have the exact same issue...
Appreciate 0