E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Small turbo failed 2014 335d

09-04-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
Sparky28
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Small turbo failed 2014 335d

Just had a call from the dealers saying my small turbo has failed.
There’s a story behind this though,Had the car serviced beginning of this year then the car went to dealers in March for an EGR cooler under a recall.
When I got the car back I noticed it started to smoke at low revs,the car drove well,was good on fuel BUT started to use a litre of oil each week.The car never used any oil or smoked before the EGR cooler was swapped.
Had the car in the dealers twice after this & they changed a breather pipe & claimed it was fixed.
It wasn’t so it got booked in again but I told thevgarage if it wasn’t fixed this time then I would contact BMW UK.
Anyway got a call yesterday saying the turbo had gone & it was totally unrelated.I was about to go nuclear but then they claimed to have contacted BMW UK telling them the car had been in 3 times,etc.
Now they claim it’s unrelated but they’ve offered to pay 100% parts cost for the turbo & 60% towards labour which leaves me with a bill of £640.
It sticks in my throat abit but I think I’ve dodged a bullet really.As well as the turbo it needs a new oil filter & oil which I have to pay for but is included in the price of £640.
Anybody else had a small turbo failure?
Thanks
Steve
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

I've actually seen this on a car that one of my colleagues replaced an EGR cooler on as part of the technical campaign. The EGR cooler being blocked due to internal failure (hence replacement under recall) had caused excessive back pressure in the exhaust system and consequently caused the small turbo to fail. Unfortunately for this technician, then also missed the fact the nut on the end of the turbo had come off and subsequently after replacement of the small turbo it killed the big turbo, but it could potentially be related in your case if the EGR cooler was excessively blocked.
As much as paying the £600-odd is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow, it's much cheaper than being left with the whole bill to pick up.

Hopefully the tech working on your car has the sense to remove & clean out the intercooler!
      09-04-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

to much of a coincidence for me that,,id dig my heals in and take it higher etc,,,,,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Surely if the EGR is/was causing excess pressure to damage the small turbo then why should you pay? I would personally contact BMW and not pay! Seems like the EGR was interlinked and has caused the turbo to fail!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #5
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

By all means, if you feel having to contribute to the cost of the repairs unacceptable in the slightest you're within your rights to contact BMW UK customer service directly - explain you don't feel the case is being taken seriously, you feel like you're being fobbed off and that the dealership are trying to treat you like you're oblivious to how these issues could be linked. If they don't budge the next step would be to threaten to go to the news because at the end of it bad publicity given the ongoing EGR issue is the last thing BMW are going to want considering the current climate with the motor industry.

As much as I do agree with the above comments with regards to having to contribute towards the bill seems unfair considering the likelihood of it being linked, one thing I will say is I have seen cases previously where BMW have offered goodwill in the sense of paying 100% parts and 70% labour, customer kicked off about having to pay the 30% labour and BMW then retracted their goodwill offer. But that is just the one case out of quite a few I've seen!

Either way I wish you the best of luck and hopefully it all goes smoothly.
      09-21-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

Sounds to me like they caused the damage, there fuck up, they can cough up for the lot.
Appreciate 0