E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Planning a family trip to Disney California... anyone been?

10-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Question Planning a family trip to Disney California... anyone been?

Ladies and Gentlemen

I'm planning a family trip to Disney world California early next year, flying out with Canadian airways.. my lad would love Cars land.....

Long story short the travel agents suggested beyond Disney land itself there was not much to do for kids in CA and there were lots of areas to avoid - I know of no one that's been.... any of you guys been at all?

Undecided whether to book CA or travel agent advised as alternative Disney Paris for Xmas.

?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 01:13 PM   #2
macck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 msport

Why not Disney Orlando lots to do.Also an hours drive and you can get get a go in a nascar around Daytona😀
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

It's Disneyland in California and Disney World in Florida.

Disney World can't be far short of 50 square miles these days. It's massive.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

I've been to Disney in Florida, California, Paris and Tokyo. For people with kids I would pick Florida as the top choice. I would avoid Paris as I don't think Disney and France mix well and it is barely cheaper than Florida after the first week.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #5
04gto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen

I'm planning a family trip to Disney world California early next year, flying out with Canadian airways.. my lad would love Cars land.....

Long story short the travel agents suggested beyond Disney land itself there was not much to do for kids in CA and there were lots of areas to avoid - I know of no one that's been.... any of you guys been at all?

Undecided whether to book CA or travel agent advised as alternative Disney Paris for Xmas.

?
I live in Los Angeles 40 miles from Disneyland. Sounds to me like your travel agent was trying to either sell you something else that would maybe make them a better % (they are very similar to car salesman after all) or they have never been to Southern California. There are just as many things here to to for kids as anywhere I have ever been. For starters if you really want to be super dad and score a lot of points with the family you can take them right up the freeway to Knotts Berry Farm while you are there, they might even like it better than Disneyland (my family does). You can also take them to any of a number of beautiful beaches, waterparks (also at Knotts), Angel stadium to see Monster trucks, supercross or who knows what when you are here. You can also find places to go horseback riding, sailing, hiking or ride bikes on the beach. And these are just the stuff off the top of my head. Depending on how many days you are here, you can come up to Los Angeles and see all the Museums (many of the best are free) or if your family really likes roller coasters you can take them to 6 flags Magic Mountain.
      10-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Dizzle
Major
Rep

04gto thanks man, pm'd

main attraction for DisneyLand was Cars land as my son is 4 and would love it, though with a 9 mnth daughter the 11 hour flight had me second guessing, also the feed back from the travel agent, good to hear positive things about CA though! Seems cheaper to stay out in CA and visit DisneyLand than to do FL... which we've done as a couple pre kiddies and would love to take them again when our youngest is day 4/5

Appreciate the feedback... gotta love e90post!

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

I managed to coincide a trip to Disneyland with the X Games so that was pretty cool.

You could also do the whole Hollywood thing.

I've always had a car so ventured to San Diego and Vegas. I'm sure your children would like San Diego Zoo if you can get some decent flights.

Yeah, areas to avoid just as there are areas to avoid in any big city. I doubt you'd stumble upon them though.

I would not go to Disneyland Paris. Just because I hate Paris. Smelly place lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I did a family holiday to California back in 2007, 4 days in LA and 10 days in San Diego. Highly recommended and the kids loved it. Disneyland was great, we also did a limo tour around Hollywood, walk of fame etc - all very memorable. San Diego was great too. One plus for me was to escape 1000s and 1000s of Brits who flock to Orlando and wider FL.

It's a yes from me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 02:26 AM   #9
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A big gold navara

I much preferred CA over FL...

But I gotta say that's a hell of a time difference with kids. It's not the flight that would bother me. It's the falling asleep at 3 in the afternoon, and waking up a 2am..
      10-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Don't forget Universal Studios.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:45 AM   #11
steb9780
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '65 F30 325d M-Sport

13 of us going to Florida next year. Hired out a big house about 9 miles from Disney. Can't wait to go. We will be doing the usual stuff like Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Wet n Wild etc. I am looking to go to Cape Canaveral and get round the space museum, also going to look into going out in a NASCAR. So much to do and only 2 weeks to fit it all in.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #12
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep

13 people? Good luck. Done that a few times with similar numbers and it's like herding cats every time you want to go anywhere ha ha.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Having gone to both Disney Land and World, I'd much rather be in LA than Orlando. Yes, Disney World has more stuff inside the parks like Epcot and Animal Kingdom and it's a much bigger complex, there's no comparing Orlando to LA. There's not much to do at all, Orlando pretty much exists because Disney is there. LA would still be interesting without Disney.

If you visit Disney Land, there's a lot more other things to do nearby as other posters have mentioned. Tons of stuff in LA and San Diego is only another hour away and that has tons of stuff for kids like the zoo, bunch of museums, and an aircraft carrier. Orlando has Canaveral nearby with the space shuttle, but they have a space shuttle at the California Science Center now and it's free. There's a Universal Studios in California as well.

My son was 4 when we went to Disney Land and saw the Cars area, he was overwhelmed and thought it was the coolest thing ever. We live in Atlanta so Orlando is closer and he's been to World 4 times and Land just once, but even now a few years later, he thinks Land is better.

As for crime, I think it's more perception than reality. LA is a big city so there are iffy parts, but I think what your travel agent told you is a stereotype. I visit LA frequently and have been through all parts of it. As a visitor, I've never felt unsafe and haven't ever wondered whether or not I should be in a certain neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
04gto thanks man, pm'd

main attraction for DisneyLand was Cars land as my son is 4 and would love it, though with a 9 mnth daughter the 11 hour flight had me second guessing, also the feed back from the travel agent, good to hear positive things about CA though! Seems cheaper to stay out in CA and visit DisneyLand than to do FL... which we've done as a couple pre kiddies and would love to take them again when our youngest is day 4/5

Appreciate the feedback... gotta love e90post!

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:20 AM   #14
steb9780
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '65 F30 325d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
13 people? Good luck. Done that a few times with similar numbers and it's like herding cats every time you want to go anywhere ha ha.
Yeah, i thought the same myself. Its actually 8 adults and 5 kids (not sure whether that makes it better or worse..lol). We have hired two 7 seater people carriers, but a few of the lads are thinking of hiring something a bit "better" for a few days...corvette, charger etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #15
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep

You know. It might be easier with children as they tend to follow instructions pretty well. Like 'get in the car' e.t.c. unless they're little shits ha ha. Whereas adults are pissing about for ages faffing around.

Checkout relayrides.com Pretty good selection of interesting stuff to hire you wouldn't normally have available to you from normal hire places at decent prices too. You could get some X5s and Challengers.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #16
Dizzle
Major
Rep

Think thats pretty much made my mind up, universal looks good too.

We did FL Disney and Universal about 6 years ago..... without kids it was great.

Just the flight to CA to endure !

thanks all
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
devidhenry
Banned
Rep
Drives: My BMW is good

hiking

Actually, I have gone through the thread by there I collect some information which is good for all. But if you interested to travel anywhere when you want to know some hiking experience by there you will be very helpful. Just visit best mens hiking boots and from there you will get more and more.
Appreciate 0