E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Torquing to factory specs on a 100000 mile car

09-18-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Andrew3424
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i

Who hear torques down everything they touch? Have a couple of bmw master techs friends that say they rarely torque down anything. They do it all by touch which is kinda scary but works for them. A big thing with them is they don't go with factory torque specs on say a 100,000 mile car that engine and other metal parts have stretched from years of high heat and noticed more oil leakage from factory torque specs rather then their gifted hands lol
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:52 AM   #2
Fallenangel123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is DCT

I always torque to spec. Replace the bolts if you think they are stretched imo.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Critical components and gaskets get torqued to spec. Also aluminum stretch bolts as well.

Here are some things I've torqued to spec recently: oil pan bolts for the oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket bolts, oil filter and cooler gasket bolts, rod bolts for rod bearings, transmission bellhousing bolts, clutch pressure plate to flywheel bolts, flywheel to crank bolts, driveshaft bolts, lug nuts, transmission mount nuts.

Things I didn't torque to spec: exhaust to downpipe bolts, downpipe vband clamp bolt, exhaust hanger brackets, oil drain plug, intake manifold to engine bolts/nuts.

Some things I can guesstimate the torque by feel but they usually aren't critical, but you also need to be cognizant of what you're fastening. I replaced my boost solenoids the other day and they have a nut holding it on, if I'm an idiot I could break the plastic or I could have the nut fall off cause its too loose. But there's also good n tight which for all intents and purposes is perfectly fine.

But I've also learned my lesson of the years. I've straight up twisted bolt heads off because I was using a 3/8" drive wrench when I should have used a 1/4" drive. You aren't going to torque an 8mm nut the same as you would a 16mm nut. Might be rambling but using your brain is the best tip I can give
Appreciate 1