E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > xHP transmission flash stage 2 issues

09-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 79’ 528i | 03’ 325i| 07’ 335i

xHP transmission flash stage 2 issues

Hey guys I've had xHP on my car and it has all seemed good until now. I drove the car 3-400 miles in the last day to Miami to visit family, car drove beautifully. I noticed concluding my trip that when i would come to a stop the car would bounce back and forth from 4-5,5-4 vise versa. I then got a transmission malfunction and pulled over.. scanned and it read 5>4 communication error. Cause unknown. Code not present but saved. A simple reset will get rid of the problem and i can continue to drive in D mode if the car stays in 6th gear highway speeds.. once i start doing city traffic it gives me the transmission malfunction. NOTE: THIS ONLY HAPPENED IN D MODE IF I DRIVE THE CAR IN M MODE IT DOESN'T EVER HAPPEN. Was going to reflash. And try again. The 50 miles of city/suburban driving is tedious
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucey335i View Post
Hey guys I've had xHP on my car and it has all seemed good until now. I drove the car 3-400 miles in the last day to Miami to visit family, car drove beautifully. I noticed concluding my trip that when i would come to a stop the car would bounce back and forth from 4-5,5-4 vise versa. I then got a transmission malfunction and pulled over.. scanned and it read 5>4 communication error. Cause unknown. Code not present but saved. A simple reset will get rid of the problem and i can continue to drive in D mode if the car stays in 6th gear highway speeds.. once i start doing city traffic it gives me the transmission malfunction. NOTE: THIS ONLY HAPPENED IN D MODE IF I DRIVE THE CAR IN M MODE IT DOESN'T EVER HAPPEN. Was going to reflash. And try again. The 50 miles of city/suburban driving is tedious
How old are the solenoids in the tranny?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
OE 90k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
Silkyg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Quote:
If it was the solenoids wouldn't it be an issue for both driving modes?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkyg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
If it was the solenoids wouldn't it be an issue for both driving modes?
I am assuming the ATF has 90k in it?

Maybe flush the ATF through your torque converter via the return line of the trans cooler. You could be low a quart? Old fluid and down a quart could be your culprit.

Did you get any codes? Scan with Insta D or INPA

The solenoids should be fine at 90k. The trans & engine internals are very stout.

I'd say if you had 175,000 miles then look at the solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Silkyg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I would flash it back to stock and see if it doesn't cause the issue. If it's still there you could have something going on like solenoids and sleeves. If that's the case you should address it. Letting it go in to limp mode could do more damage causing to need a new transmission. I had the light come on, cleared It and drove fine. Then driving in the middle of no where when the light came on and it wouldn't catch 1-3. Turns out I had hole in my oil cooler line. Although it sucked patching that line and pumping transmission fluid. I'm lucky I didn't burn up the clutches. We'll see how long it holds up.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:21 PM   #7
Brucey335i
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would flash it back to stock and see if it doesn't cause the issue. If it's still there you could have something going on like solenoids and sleeves. If that's the case you should address it. Letting it go in to limp mode could do more damage causing to need a new transmission. I had the light come on, cleared It and drove fine. Then driving in the middle of no where when the light came on and it wouldn't catch 1-3. Turns out I had hole in my oil cooler line. Although it sucked patching that line and pumping transmission fluid. I'm lucky I didn't burn up the clutches. We'll see how long it holds up.
That's the thing it's only in drive mode not manual or S and it's intermittent. Secondly i don't have to clear it with xhp... all i have to do is turn the car off and on and it resets the fault... it doesn't keep the transmission locked or anything it's just a weird shadow fault
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Silkyg
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's the thing it's only in drive mode not manual or S and it's intermittent. Secondly i don't have to clear it with xhp... all i have to do is turn the car off and on and it resets the fault... it doesn't keep the transmission locked or anything it's just a weird shadow fault
Maybe but I wouldn't rely that being the issue and keep driving it when it's doing that. My car threw the gear symbol, restarted it and back to business as usual. When in reality it was telling me I was low on fluid and drove 2 hours away leaving me on the side of the road. I haven't done the xhp flash yet and have been meaning to. From my understanding it uses more transmission fluid line pressure. Your sleeves and seals could have been on there way out with that added pressure it could be causing that gear to have a hard time engaging.

Flash it back to stock to see if it still does it.
If it's good reflash your xhp map. If your still having issues check the fluid level as mentioned before.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #9
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
I΄d look up at the adaptation values, it shows each solenoid value + ggle scheme which ones are engaged when this happens. It might be like this - modded sw in D says to apply decent pressure, in S mode way more pressure... lesser pressure in D is not good enough and the trans registers a slippage in that particular gear - hence the protection mode on. In S it holds fine (for now, as it doesn΄t get any better by itself).
      09-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
rgfinn76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport Coupe

I had a very weird issue with it downshifting and then upshifting very hard only in D mode. S and M worked fine.

I ended up changing out the solenoids, all the sleeves etc and reset adaptations and after the relearn procedure car is back to shifting normal. I had 130k miles at the time.
Appreciate 0