E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ESS is considering making a SC kit for the N52!

08-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #133
ciscokid01
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sedan

soo interested, just dont have the monies to put down, but when i do i wants
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #134
Momomkz
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E82 128i/E92 335is/F07 535i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Add me to the list...
Add me to the list too~~
      08-02-2011, 10:55 PM   #135
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

1. Blackbimmer1991
2. C ///M
3.martinezjames
4.Francis M.
5.Momomkz
      08-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #136
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 M3 & '07 X3 M-Sport

Garage List
Hey guys, I don't think it will matter, but just to keep an honest count, I'd like to remind everyone that putting your name down means that you'd be ready to throw down between $5-$7k dollars right now were there to be a kit produced.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #137
Francis M.
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2010 3 series sedan

Garage List
2010 e90  [0.00]
2010 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C ///M View Post
Hey guys, I don't think it will matter, but just to keep an honest count, I'd like to remind everyone that putting your name down means that you'd be ready to throw down between $5-$7k dollars right now were there to be a kit produced.

Yes"..........
MODS-ST c/o- full Mtech conversion-ltbmw carbon lip/ OEM trunk lip/ performance diffuser/gloss vinyl roof/ lux8 angels/ euro air box/performance exhaust/ CCW classics/performance shifter and hand brake
performance bbk/
active xenon lights
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #138
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Yes"..........
Cool, it'd be nice to get at least 10 guys together and form an initial run group buy.

Since I've spoken to them a couple times, I might go back and present a initial run-group buy and see if that would push them towards production certainty.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #139
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Quote:
Added, got another follow-up from ESS, gives me some hope...:

"We are currently strongly considering doing it. I would give it a 75% chance at this point."

That's more info than I ever thought I'd see. I'm actually excited.
This is great news!!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #140
brett_duenas
7.62 x E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf-R

Garage List
2012 Golf R  [0.00]
I'm in! Not for the honest part... I dont have 5-7k that I can spend right now (my wife would ) but count me as VERY interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #141
sachal007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 530i

1. Blackbimmer1991
2. C ///M
3.martinezjames
4.Francis M.
5.Momomkz
6. Sachal007

but come on make this happen!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #142
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

1. Blackbimmer1991
2. C ///M
3.martinezjames
4.Francis M.
5.Momomkz
6. Sachal007
7. BigDog (need 2 kits)
      08-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #143
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Although I would most certainly (100%) get a kit if ESS came out with one, I can't put my name down on a list that is relatively meaningless at this point. What's the down-payment get us (ability to purchase the kit in a limited production, first dibs, etc)? What's the estimated price of the kit (there is a big difference between $4k, $5k, $7k, etc)? What's the projected hp/tq improvements (if we're still under 300 hp/tq, is it really worth that price)? When would something like this be ready (e.g., giving a company money for something that won't be available until a year from now isn't really appealing to me)?

Not to be a downer or anything, because I would completely support such an endeavor, but we aren't talking about a couple hundred bucks here.

If this list is to gauge interest in such a kit, then by all means put me down.
      08-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #144
brett_duenas
7.62 x E90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 Golf R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Although I would most certainly (100%) get a kit if ESS came out with one, I can't put my name down on a list that is relatively meaningless at this point. What's the down-payment get us (ability to purchase the kit in a limited production, first dibs, etc)? What's the estimated price of the kit (there is a big difference between $4k, $5k, $7k, etc)? What's the projected hp/tq improvements (if we're still under 300 hp/tq, is it really worth that price)? When would something like this be ready (e.g., giving a company money for something that won't be available until a year from now isn't really appealing to me)?

Not to be a downer or anything, because I would completely support such an endeavor, but we aren't talking about a couple hundred bucks here.

+1
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #145
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport

Quote:

I think ESS would come up with the 'terms' of the list. Believe a poster a few points up just said that you have to be ready to part with 5k, I think that statement was under the assumption that the conditions were favorable / fair
      08-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #146
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1mmy View Post
I think ESS would come up with the 'terms' of the list. Believe a poster a few points up just said that you have to be ready to part with 5k, I think that statement was under the assumption that the conditions were favorable / fair
I understand that, but I don't think that poster is affiliated with ESS in any way. So, just because someone says it doesn't mean it's true. Also, $5k for the whole kit? Or is that a 50% downpayment, where we will owe another $5k before the kit ships? If the whole kit is $5k, then the downpayment thing is moot... essentially you'll be paying for the whole kit upfront.

I'm just saying that it's really pointless to assume anything at this point, unless ESS tells us the details. If the list is to show them interest, that's understandable. But, we can't just say "oh I'll put down $5k to make this happen"... we don't even know what it is, whether it's feasible for them, etc.
      08-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #147
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

At this point ESS knows there are a lot of people interested. I don't see a need to get a list together of people who would give them a full $5k or whatever so they develop it.

I agree with Chewy, but on a little different point. What IF the company goes out of business. We don't know their financial situation. If they would go out of business and have these full down payment deposits, you'll be SOL getting your money back.

Is ESS taking a risk developing it? Yes
Did ESS take a risk developing all of their supercharger kits? Yes

This thread alone has shown them that we will help mitigate that risk. I don't know how much market research they were able to do with their other kits, but this is pretty good market research to gauge interest.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #148
sterz85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi

Does ESS even post on this board? Nothing towards the OP but I'm taking this thread as wasted bandwidth unless we hear something officially from ESS.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #149
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterz85 View Post
Does ESS even post on this board? Nothing towards the OP but I'm taking this thread as wasted bandwidth unless we hear something officially from ESS.
Well, first of all, the OP is the guy who posted right above you that seemingly agrees that this thread is pointless now, I don't know...

Secondly, I didn't start the list, but I think there is definitely a value to it, but I'm thinking along different lines than everyone else is here I think.. Now I said the list was for COMMITTED buyers because I'm looking to form a group buy. I did not mention deposits or anything like that, but I want serious buys, not anybody who "wants" one. Which ties into my next point:

I've spoken to ESS a number of times and posted a couple quotes from the conversation, so whoever said this thread means nothing unless they post here is ridiculous, you obviously haven't read my posts. Does Turner Motorsport post on every forum? How about Steve Dinan or his crew? Especially if they're developing something this involved. This is typically where builders are the most silent. Anyway, ESS started out by selling 30 supercharger kits IN A YEAR so all you guys that think we need 30 kits just for them to design one don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. They said they're strongly considering it and are about 75% certain at this point. I don't know about you, but that sounds promising. Is it a sure thing, not even close.

But since they've shared some info with me, I've been thinking about putting a group buy together with 10-15 guys. That's why I wanted SERIOUS buyers. Are we close, again, not yet. But if I can get a foundation of plans from ESS, we could put in a small deposit dependent on a provided plan and certain guarantees. At this point we don't even know if they're planning a twin-screw or centrifugal unit. For those that think we can't get a twin-screw for less money, they should take a look at the twin-screw kits from ESS for the e46 that are $5k flat.

Anyway, the remainder of my posts will be like those that preceded this one, and will only contain info directly from ESS.

Lets keep our fingers crossed, I'll take all the help I can get.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #150
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

This is a great opportunity for ESS. They have no SC kits for current products. There are plenty of vehicles with the N52 engine that are now 4+ years old and coming out of warranty. This is probably where they were when they decided to build their other (earlier generation) kits. I predict 6-12 months that 75% will be 100% committment by them. If they don't what will they do survive on their programmers? They need this kit also.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #151
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterz85 View Post
Well, first of all, the OP is the guy who posted right above you that seemingly agrees that this thread is pointless now, I don't know...

Secondly, I didn't start the list, but I think there is definitely a value to it, but I'm thinking along different lines than everyone else is here I think.. Now I said the list was for COMMITTED buyers because I'm looking to form a group buy. I did not mention deposits or anything like that, but I want serious buys, not anybody who "wants" one. Which ties into my next point:

I've spoken to ESS a number of times and posted a couple quotes from the conversation, so whoever said this thread means nothing unless they post here is ridiculous, you obviously haven't read my posts. Does Turner Motorsport post on every forum? How about Steve Dinan or his crew? Especially if they're developing something this involved. This is typically where builders are the most silent. Anyway, ESS started out by selling 30 supercharger kits IN A YEAR so all you guys that think we need 30 kits just for them to design one don't have a clue as to what you're talking about. They said they're strongly considering it and are about 75% certain at this point. I don't know about you, but that sounds promising. Is it a sure thing, not even close.

But since they've shared some info with me, I've been thinking about putting a group buy together with 10-15 guys. That's why I wanted SERIOUS buyers. Are we close, again, not yet. But if I can get a foundation of plans from ESS, we could put in a small deposit dependent on a provided plan and certain guarantees. At this point we don't even know if they're planning a twin-screw or centrifugal unit. For those that think we can't get a twin-screw for less money, they should take a look at the twin-screw kits from ESS for the e46 that are $5k flat.

Anyway, the remainder of my posts will be like those that preceded this one, and will only contain info directly from ESS.

Lets keep our fingers crossed, I'll take all the help I can get.
I don't think this thread is pointless at all. I totally agree with you and you've done a great job helping our cause by contacting ESS directly - thank you.
A group buy is a good idea. Put me down.

The guy above also needs to read the entire thread because ESS has posted directly on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #152
brett_duenas
7.62 x E90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 Golf R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Soon as we finish the 545 / 550 we will look into the 3 series.
case in point.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #153
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

that's cool. I'm looking forward to this project... hopefully they take it up.

It just seems a little odd they would rather work on the 5er than the 3er first, considering that BMW sells more 3-series than all the other models combined. One would think the potential customer base would be much larger on the 3-series.
      08-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #154
C ///M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
that's cool. I'm looking forward to this project... hopefully they take it up.

It just seems a little odd they would rather work on the 5er than the 3er first, considering that BMW sells more 3-series than all the other models combined. One would think the potential customer base would be much larger on the 3-series.
I would typically agree, but the 545i/550i crowd has a good deal more disposable income than the 3 series owner and as I mentioned in my post above, they don't need to sell a ton of kits right off the bat to want to develop this thing. I think they'd probably sell more 5 series kits in its first 6 months-1 year of availability than N52 3 series kits. So that's kind of my guess.

I know I said my subsequent posts would always contain new information, but I just wanted to reply to that, so back to work for me...
Appreciate 0