E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > EGR , smoke and loss of power!!

06-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
blucoop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Le Mans Blue Touring 330d

EGR , smoke and loss of power!!

just wondering if anyone can shed any light on some issues I've been having.

Firstly my 2007 330d, started to kick out grey smoke all through the Rev range.

With the help of a friend I have cleaned the egr thoroughly and it has made no difference. However... If I remove and plug the egr vacuum pipe then the smoke goes completely.! Put it back on and the smoke comes back.

The newer problem is a big loss of low down power. The car struggles up the slightest hill, and the auto box is really delayed in changing gear. If I plant my foot it doesn't seem so bad over 3000 odd revs but definitely not 100%.

I have inpa and dis software but only faults I get is glow plug on cylinder 3 , and a fuel filter code (despite changing it twice).

I have tried disconnecting the maf, which made no difference .

Car is going in to garage on Friday but I have little faith in so called mechanics these days due to reasons which I won't go into. So I was just hoping to get as much info on board before then.

Any help much appreciated .

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

colour is the smoke ? does it struggle to start and is it using water?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

black smoke on a diesel results from too rich a fuel mixture.

Given it only happens with the EGR connected, that would suggest the EGR valve is staying open for some reason, allowing boost pressure to leak out into the exhaust, and as a result it injects far too much fuel for the amount of air thats left.

Assuming the valve is working, perhaps theres an issue with the EGR solenoid valve that opens and closes the vacuum feed? Does the power seem normal when the EGR is disconnected and the smoke is gone?

Does the car still have a DPF? Sounds a bit odd for it to be pouring out smoke if the DPF is still there.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #4
blucoop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi and thanks for the replies. The smoke is a grey colour, not as dark as when you boot it but certainly not white.

Car is not using water as far as I can tell.

Dpf has been removed and car remapped.

With the egr vacuum disconnected there seems to be more power but certainly not 100% or even close. Gears are still very delayed to change.

Is there a way to check the solenoid ?

Could it be to do with the map sensor ?

Cheers

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
blucoop
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just wondered if anyone else could shed any more light on this one?? Ive wasted the best part of £200 at two different garages and both say they cant find an issue.??

I have since tried unplugging the MAP sensor which made no change.

Can anyone give any more info on the egr system?? what is it that controlls the egr opening and closing?

The valve itself has been checked and seems ok but if it is opening at the wrong times (if possible) what could cause it to do this?

Really could do with some help as at the minute im wasting money looking in the wrong places.

Cheers

Steve
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Theres a solenoid controlled by the ECU that switches the vacuum feed to the EGR unit, enabling the ECU to open it when it wants it. Its right next to the EGR valve, follow the hose and it goes straight to it.

Perhaps the solenoid is jammed open?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 04:33 AM   #7
ade146
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d sport auto

Slide a blank into the exhaust side of the egr to test. It will give you an EML but the car drives fine.
Appreciate 0