E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i petrol 57 plate waste gate rattle

06-04-2015, 03:43 AM   #1
RichyB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i SE coupe 57

335i petrol 57 plate waste gate rattle

Hello I know this is a old topic, but has anyone sorted this issue out without new turbos or the software update or the manual adjustment Mr 5 posted? Mine is only noticeable on cold start and revs over 3k no over/under post yet!!!!! seriously losing the love for BMW at mo.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:47 AM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

My JB4 has largely eliminated mine. The only option is to try tightening them up if you're not going to replace them or use some kind of software.
Probably a good chance to do it if you get downpipes fitted. Reduction in back pressure will also help prolong the life of the turbos.
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Midland Turbo will recondition the turbo's at £260 each, including replacing the actuator arm.

I am sending mine in next month for the work..

Adjusting the arm and pressure increase is only temporary.
      06-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Fez335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Blue E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post
Midland Turbo will recondition the turbo's at £260 each, including replacing the actuator arm.

I am sending mine in next month for the work..

Adjusting the arm and pressure increase is only temporary.
I think mine are on their way out, can hear it quite loudly on a cold engine.. Let me know how the rebuild goes that's a pretty good price!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Might need to do this as well, i have third party warranty but have to foot the bill and claim it back (nightmare).

How did the recon go?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Mine have started to rattle, its more noticable on these hot days I think, they were repalced in Oct 2013 and I think its more destinctive.. So I have a plan and will report back
      06-24-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Vish8895
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Mine have started to rattle, its more noticable on these hot days I think, they were repalced in Oct 2013 and I think its more destinctive.. So I have a plan and will report back
You have a plan eh? Care to share ?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vish8895 View Post
You have a plan eh? Care to share ?
Theres no plan as such it's how you go about it. My cars had the dreaded rattle for a while I knew what it was and have noticed thst it's started IMO to also lose a little low down performance as well, which although no codes showed I was 60% convinced was partially linked to the wastgate area, the mere fact that they clank was just an annoying issue which I was going to address.

Now my cars gone in as it (Catless pipes still on)its been assessed and full credit to my local dealership too the work to replace has been authorised.

So to all those wondering presented with my car with Catless pipes on the key question is what causes the wastgate issue? Well,there's enough info out there on this subject to write a novel and re the Catless pipes would they contribute to the issue?

The answer to this is no. The fault if fault is the correct word lies with the design/manufacture of the units(also remember they are re manufactured items) and not the installation and post work. It was seen in the same manor by my dealership presented and authorised by BMW.

I wasn't expecting such an easy passage if I'm honest but again full credit to my local dealership for the way they handled everything
      07-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Theres no plan as such it's how you go about it. My cars had the dreaded rattle for a while I knew what it was and have noticed thst it's started IMO to also lose a little low down performance as well, which although no codes showed I was 60% convinced was partially linked to the wastgate area, the mere fact that they clank was just an annoying issue which I was going to address.

Now my cars gone in as it (Catless pipes still on)its been assessed and full credit to my local dealership too the work to replace has been authorised.

So to all those wondering presented with my car with Catless pipes on the key question is what causes the wastgate issue? Well,there's enough info out there on this subject to write a novel and re the Catless pipes would they contribute to the issue?

The answer to this is no. The fault if fault is the correct word lies with the design/manufacture of the units(also remember they are re manufactured items) and not the installation and post work. It was seen in the same manor by my dealership presented and authorised by BMW.

I wasn't expecting such an easy passage if I'm honest but again full credit to my local dealership for the way they handled everything
What is your dealership Steve? Always good to know which dealers are more accommodating.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 03:41 AM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
What is your dealership Steve? Always good to know which dealers are more accommodating.
Its got zero to do with the dealership I'd say its how the issue is approached and the individual who's dealing with the claim, if the units are showing these sort of signs you do your home work first and discover as we all know that their not BMW finest acquisition from an outside supplier, you then look at how many times the parts been superseded(answer many) then you look at whether they are new or re manufactured and they are re manufactured.

That then for me forms a base line re any issue, if the issue is there what's caused it is having any aftermarket part contributory issue if not onwards from there and if explained and the person dealing with the case is on the right wavelength then all being well common sense prevails and that's exactly what happened no magic nothing. And no drama's therefore everything that was seen was valid the issue was noted and as required the right decision was made.
      07-10-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well cars back quiet as a mouse and not a thing to sign/pay.
And it's quicker too
      07-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #12
RichyB
Private
Rep

Hey Steve how old is your car is it still under warranty or did you manage to get the recall they are doing in the states??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyB View Post
Hey Steve how old is your car is it still under warranty or did you manage to get the recall they are doing in the states??
In October 13 both my turbo's went AWOL, replaced with genuine BMW items which carry a 2 year warranty, roll on 20 months the rattle was getting bad booked it in to BMW they replaced both units without quarrel under their warranty procedure re parts.
      07-31-2015, 06:11 AM   #14
RichyB
Private
Rep

How much was it to replace both through BMW including VAT? And do they do both anyway because I am sure only 1 of mine is rattling thanks Steve
Appreciate 0