E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

12-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #243
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
One more question... When you insert the pipe/crimp into the flange how much sticks out? Lemme know if that makes sense to you or not.
Will try to measure that when I return home.

Edit: Got it measured: 0.806.

So the block thickness is .587 and the part of the beveled compression head protruding extends it to 0.806 on the exhaust manifold side.

Last edited by TDIwyse; 12-26-2013 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #244
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Forgot ... the copper block I'm planning on using makes the block/compression thickness 0.801 thick, which is just a tick under the .806 thickness of the oem setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #245
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Got the EGR cooler off. It's a bit awkward getting to the bottom bolt when the cooler is still in place. Kind of a delicate operation to get everything out and the exhaust manifold block into place. Lost quite a bit of coolant in the process. Using the eBay'd EGR cooler with most everything cut off except for the coolant passage and the bolt/attachment points at the moment to route the coolant (there's special connectors that attach to the cooler... will be getting something to work around that if everything keeps looking good).

Did a quick test drive tonight and attached a plot of the Coolant/EGT data. It's 14F here, so it takes a bit to warm up, and on coasting situations the coolant temp dips a bit. This was just some back and forth runs on the county road by my home. Didn't see any unusual coolant behavior with the EGR cooler bypass in place. That's good. Will continue to monitor in the coming weeks.

The copper slug is sealing very well with no noticeable exhaust leaks. I'm going to wait for the engine to cool down and re-torque the bolts a bit.

Note: Be careful when pulling the vacuum hose off the EGR cooler flapper valve connection. I got a little too aggressive and ripped the nipple off the bulb (no jokes please) ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #246
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Did a longer drive today. ~83 mile round trip mostly interstate. Below is speed/coolant data on the "to" portion of the trip. Coolant behavior is as it should be. Not sure if reports of the Euro version having coolant temp issues when the EGR Cooler is bypassed is due to the different design of that portion of the system?

Note: The OBD reported speed is much more accurate than the speedometer reported speed (which is high) based on GPS data. My winter tires are a little larger than OEM diameter so an OBD speed of ~69 is actually just a touch over 70. And this run had the kidney grills blocked to help warm up times and maintaining coolant temps (however, I wouldn't recommend doing this without a way to monitor coolant temps).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #247
Kjelly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse
Did a longer drive today. ~83 mile round trip mostly interstate. Below is speed/coolant data on the "to" portion of the trip. Coolant behavior is as it should be. Not sure if reports of the Euro version having coolant temp issues when the EGR Cooler is bypassed is due to the different design of that portion of the system?

Note: The OBD reported speed is much more accurate than the speedometer reported speed (which is high) based on GPS data. My winter tires are a little larger than OEM diameter so an OBD speed of ~69 is actually just a touch over 70. And this run had the kidney grills blocked to help warm up times and maintaining coolant temps (however, I wouldn't recommend doing this without a way to monitor coolant temps).
Thank you for the info! I'll be monitoring your progress, since I decided to forgo getting the extended warranty and instead rolling the dice.

I have a Scangauge hooked up to my car, so I can monitor EGR and coolant temps; although I can't log the info.

I'm interested on how the EGR delete will affect in the summer months. It looks fine for winter temps...
      12-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #248
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjelly View Post
Thank you for the info! I'll be monitoring your progress, since I decided to forgo getting the extended warranty and instead rolling the dice.

I have a Scangauge hooked up to my car, so I can monitor EGR and coolant temps; although I can't log the info.

I'm interested on how the EGR delete will affect in the summer months. It looks fine for winter temps...
You're welcome.

If you have a smart phone there's app's that work extremely well for gauges and logging data. I'm particularly fond of Torque for the Android systems. I use it whenever I'm driving to monitor coolant temps, egt's, boost, etc...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #249
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Tdi, does the torque app display the special bmw pid addresses for EGT, boost, and oil temp? I am using engine link app on iPhone but some of these standard pid addresses don't all work. I'd like to get the bmw pid addresses so I can setup custom gauges but can't seem to find a list online.

Meanwhile my car is now awaiting a new DDE from the dealer.
      12-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #250
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Tdi, does the torque app display the special bmw pid addresses for EGT, boost, and oil temp? I am using engine link app on iPhone but some of these standard pid addresses don't all work. I'd like to get the bmw pid addresses so I can setup custom gauges but can't seem to find a list online.

Meanwhile my car is now awaiting a new DDE from the dealer.
Ugh. I'm guessing that the DDE was likely the root of most of the problems. Hopefully you'll be good to go now for a nice long time.

There's some more info on the Torque app here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...45&postcount=5

I'm not using any custom PID's. The EGT's are just "there" in the list of measurable quantities for my 2011. It corresponds to the pre-DOC EGT from the Bavarian Technic tool.

The boost is a calculated value based on MAF and other data elements. With the EGR off it's very accurate compared to Bavarian Technic direct measurements. When the EGR was still being used the "Torque" boost would read "0" at low load conditions (most of the time) because EGR utilization was basically providing all of the intake air, so the air filter/MAF routing was effectively bypassed. Now with no EGR the low load (as well as mid and full load) agree with the Bavarian Technic direct measurements.

I haven't tried to look at the oil temp.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #251
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Now with no EGR the low load (as well as mid and full load) agree with the Bavarian Technic direct measurements.
Question regarding the EGR being coded out now with various other components; are all the OBDII parameters set to Readiness OK after the drive cycles? Or are some incomplete?

I noticed Torque now has a DPF temp monitor; surprised the 335d does not have this as a monitor.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #252
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135i_vs_ View Post
Question regarding the EGR being coded out now with various other components; are all the OBDII parameters set to Readiness OK after the drive cycles? Or are some incomplete?

I noticed Torque now has a DPF temp monitor; surprised the 335d does not have this as a monitor.
The EGT data Torque sees does show the DPF regen temps. It compares directly to the data seen by the Bavarian Technic tool for one of the EGT probes (there's 3 EGT probes in the DPF canister: Pre DOC, post DOC/pre DPF, post DPF). The link below shows an example screen shot from Torque during a DPF regen where the EGT's were at the typical 1150-1180F.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=16

Regarding the "Readiness OK" ... could you describe this more? Not sure how to check for "readiness". I can look at the fault codes with the Torque app using standard OBD-II protocol and see none set or pending. I can use the Bavarian Technic tool and do not see any faults set or pending (although there is a shadow code, same as with the Evolve remap). I don't recall seeing anything related to "readiness"? If you know how to check that with either tool please let me know and I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #253
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regarding the "Readiness OK" ... could you describe this more? Not sure how to check for "readiness". I can look at the fault codes with the Torque app using standard OBD-II protocol and see none set or pending. I can use the Bavarian Technic tool and do not see any faults set or pending (although there is a shadow code, same as with the Evolve remap). I don't recall seeing anything related to "readiness"? If you know how to check that with either tool please let me know and I'll look into it.
To pass annual Emissions Inspection all OBDII status' need to be in Ready mode (Completed). If any of these parameters are incomplete, car will not pass Inspection.

You can add 2 displays in Torque to know the readiness status. They are on the list when you click add display.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #254
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
To pass annual Emissions Inspection all OBDII status' need to be in Ready mode (Completed). If any of these parameters are incomplete, car will not pass Inspection.

You can add 2 displays in Torque to know the readiness status. They are on the list when you click add display.
For a readiness status, the car has to have completed a full "drive cycle". Here in GA, all cars with gasoline engine are tested. However, all diesel cars are exempted, no test at all
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #255
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thanks.

As I'm sitting here sipping my morning coffee and surfing the web, I checked my phone/torque app ... sure enough one of the default screens already had that setup. I've just not looked at it before. Got another family Christmas celebration today and will be doing lots of driving and will check and report back.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #256
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I had my smog test done yesterday.
The car was only checked by the computer through the OBD port. No rolling test, no probe up the tailpipe.

Visual inspection...Pass............he didn't look at anything
Functional test...Pass..............I have no clue what that is, engine running maybe
Emissions test... N/A

PCV...Pass
Fuel Injection...Pass
Wiring to sensors...Pass
Liquid fuel leak... Pass

Catalytic Converter... Pass
Pump air injection...Pass
Vacuum lines sensors/switches...Pass
OBD system check... Pass

EGR (Visual)... Pass..................How did he perform a visual inspection????
Oxygen sensor... Pass
Other emissions related components... Pass

How could someone visually inspect the EGR valve if it is not taken apart?
Cat converter inspection without even lifting the car up?

I guess in my case I would be OK with EGR and DPF delete, as far as the visual inspection goes.
I am not sure what shows up on the OBD read out.

I didn't want to mod my car prior to my first smog test just so I can find out what is being performed.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #257
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
How could someone visually inspect the EGR valve if it is not taken apart?
Cat converter inspection without even lifting the car up?

I guess in my case I would be OK with EGR and DPF delete, as far as the visual inspection goes.
I am not sure what shows up on the OBD read out.

I didn't want to mod my car prior to my first smog test just so I can find out what is being performed.
No you would not be OK. You would have a check engine light for a bad cat or missing cat. Same goes for EGR. Check engine light is immediate failure of emissions inspection.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #258
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing this would be a problem then for you guys who live in states with inspections ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #259
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing this would be a problem then for you guys who live in states with inspections.
Oh yes, this would definitely be a problem for any state that requires emissions inspection. I believe most states do.

I was worried this might be the case.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #260
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
I'm guessing this would be a problem then for you guys who live in states with inspections ...
How long has it been since the codes were reset or the ecu reset/removed? I don't know how long it takes for our monitors to reset but some cars take a LOOONNGGG time. My jeep is estimated at something like 30 on/off cycles. Others can be just 50-100 miles. If you could try checking back on it in a few weeks that would be pretty good confirmation.

Really surprising to me this is the case but I guess its just a factor of the newer computers. Older cars the EGR or cat could be dialed out and not affect the monitors.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #261
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
No you would not be OK. You would have a check engine light for a bad cat or missing cat. Same goes for EGR. Check engine light is immediate failure of emissions inspection.
W/ coding, there would be no CEL.

I passed emissions with a gutted cat on a rotory using a COBB. Would've failed sniff test though if required in another state. Would've failed visual if they've revved it because it ran rich,

Problem will be with "readiness"
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #262
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Quote:

If the EGR and/or DPF are coded out, would there still be a problem passing emissions test? Would it still show up as "Incomplete"?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #263
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
How long has it been since the codes were reset or the ecu reset/removed? I don't know how long it takes for our monitors to reset but some cars take a LOOONNGGG time. My jeep is estimated at something like 30 on/off cycles. Others can be just 50-100 miles. If you could try checking back on it in a few weeks that would be pretty good confirmation.

Really surprising to me this is the case but I guess its just a factor of the newer computers. Older cars the EGR or cat could be dialed out and not affect the monitors.
Interesting. Wasn't aware of that. I did find it odd that the O2 sensor stuff was showing "Incomplete" as it is still functional and sending data on the BT tool... With no inspections here guess I haven't had a reason to even look into this part of the DDE/OBD behavior.

It's been a bit over 2 weeks since the DDE came back from the 2nd remapping. Done about 800 miles, but most of that is a few really long drives. Guessing it's getting close to the 30'ish key cycles in these ~2 weeks. But that's an estimate. Might be a bit less.

Will keep an eye on that screen and update if anything changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #264
dixy2k
Major
Rep

interesting work done on a RAM diesel. EGR and DPF delete, complete with software support. I wish it was that easy for us too.

Appreciate 0