E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

07-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #1563
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

wow and didn't get heat soaked impressive!!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #1564
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d
Its called a Dynapack my tuner said it wasn't the best, Greek be patient I will keep everyone posted 0n the weekend of the 14-16 of August. TDi your number could be higher if you get an larger IC I clicked 318 whp and 425 wtq(you beat me on the torque,impressive) with REnntech and NO DOWNPIPE!!
Air scoops would have given him 355/505 too.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #1565
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d
wow and didn't get heat soaked impressive!!
I was smart about how I did everything to avoid heat soak.. 2 fans.. One on airplane mode.. Air scoops would have pushed the car right out of the shop with the dyno packs still attached to the hubs.. Powerful fans!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #1566
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Greek dont start this up LOL I know the scoops work but some here dont want to believe it. 2 more weeks and ADIOS DPF/EGR/SCR
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #1567
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
I was smart about how I did everything to avoid heat soak.. 2 fans.. One on airplane mode.. Air scoops would have pushed the car right out of the shop with the dyno packs still attached to the hubs.. Powerful fans!
Yea I was thinking the intake scoops and pulling the rear seats out for weight reduction would have boosted the numbers a little too....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #1568
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Don't forget powering the flux capacitor at 1.88 Gigawatts, Marty
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #1569
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

And if that car had intercooler that whole building would have imploded. Then exploded in a huge fireball followed by explosions and fireworks.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #1570
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
And if that car had intercooler that whole building would have imploded. Then exploded in a huge fireball followed by explosions and fireworks.
Yeah, that's what I've heard. 5 rwhp will do that. Haha
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #1571
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Rican 335d View Post
Its called a Dynapack my tuner said it wasn't the best, Greek be patient I will keep everyone posted 0n the weekend of the 14-16 of August. TDi your number could be higher if you get an larger IC I clicked 318 whp and 425 wtq(you beat me on the torque,impressive) with REnntech and NO DOWNPIPE!!
It actually put down 370 whp and 538 wtq without any fans in its full blown state... But those are just numbers that would vary from dyno to dyno even if the car was at the exact same capability (dyno's vary...). The better numbers are what the car does on the pavement.

I don't see any measurements/data to suggest the intercooler would do squat for making more power with my setup. It would just add weight on the front of the car.
      07-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #1572
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

Quote:
Hey PR, just pulled this 495.6 wtq no intercooler, just JBD and 50/50 meth. Time would have been better but had Lots of wheel spin
Attached Images

Last edited by gtp900; 07-30-2014 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Add pic
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:12 AM   #1573
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

A bit of an update from me in regards to the downpipe install.

ECU is remapped and reinstalled;
DPF is out, and engine mount is reinstalled;
Downpipe is not installed yet.

What I have learned is both O2 sensors and temperature sensors electrical connectors can be unplugged and removed with the pipe.
-upper O2 sensor - follow the wire, you would need to pull the wire from a few clips;
-the actual connector is clipped by two plastic clips to the panel that is mounted on the side of the head;
-top plug needs to come out and then the connector unclipped from the panel;
-upper two temp sensors are quite easy to disconnect, need a small screwdriver;
-lower O2 sensor has a red insulation on the lead;
-follow it and disconnect/unscrew right by the fuel filter;
-lower temp sensors i did not disconnect, just unscrewed from the pipe with pipe still in place.

Temperature sensors came out without a fuss. Helps to have the system warmed, but not for too long, a few minutes. Upper O2 sensor was no issues, the lower was a pain. Lots of liquid wrench, heating, proper socket, breaker bar - no luck. Eventually, dropped by my local BMW dealer and case of beer solved it, they said they hammered it and it's ok as long as you do not hammer the actual sensor.

DPF removal was straight forward as already has been described.

Remember to remove a bolt at the side of the actual pneumatic mount. There are two long screws from the bottom and one from the side, access behind a plastic panel in the wheelwell.

I have also found that it was helpful to remove both brackets that DPF was additionally supported with. One at the very top, and one at the bottom. Top was a challenge space wise, but if you access from the top, you need to put a socket behind the bracket, if looking from the front of the car.

Reinstalling the bracket of the engine mount that mounts to the block was a royal pita. The trick is to jack the engine high enough. Those four bolt holes really want to line up prefect. Remember to install the lower back bolt first. the bracket is hollow and if you drop a bolt in there, pretty much need to remove the bracket to fish it out. I have actually used a duct tape to hold the bolt to the socket so I do not lose it. Tape came out with the socket though.

I have installed, but not screwed on the pneumatic mount and them played with the block mounted bracket. I know some have mounted the bock bracket, then jacked engine very high to slip the pneumatic mount in.

Last edited by Yozh; 07-31-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:39 AM   #1574
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Onto the downpipe. Thought this deserves a separate post.

I got the pipe, but have officially declared it not to be fitting properly. Thank you BB_cuda for the massive support in this process.

Now, before this is decared a user error I must admit that my limited experience does include a few engine swaps and all the other minor stuff. I am not a professional by any means, have only hand tools, ramps, jack stands and a desire to make this work.

The main challenge is in the upper O2 sensor bung. The bung is placed in such a manner that the upper O2 sensor is at the 12o'clock position when pipe is mounted and is hitting the manifold.

As this has been already reported, when DPF and the downpipe are placed side by side the positioning of all the sensors is quite different, and on the downpipe they are in a more disadvantageous position.

So, may be I was tired the other night. Today, I went and had the upper O2 sensor shaved by about 2/3. The thinking behind it was, this shall bring the O2 sensor further away from the manifold.

I have managed to barely attach the upper and lower pipe connections, but the upper O2 sensor is right against the manifold and the wire is pinched. Tried moving it around into a better position, but still. This has raised a lot of concern primarily due to high temperatures and vibration that I thought was positively going to damage the sensor wiring. I was not willing to tighten everything up as this would push the sensor even further up into the manifold. SCR mid pipe was also disconnected.

Tomorrow, I plan on getting a new O2 sensor bung, drilling a new hole and welding it in a much better place. The old one I'm going to plug. Hope this works as I'm tired of my rental car and am frustrated at trying to wrestle this pipe in.

PS: I am not trying to bash anyone, but just giving my honest feedback that is hopefully useful to others doing this mod.

Last edited by Yozh; 07-31-2014 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #1575
135i_vs_
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, 135i, 335d, F10 550xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
they said they hammered it and it's ok as long as you do not hammer the actual sensor.
Just a tip of advise..not sure if it will happen to the 335d, as still relatively young, but I went thru hell changing to post cat 02 sensors on my 00' ML55 AMG.

When I hammered the sensors out, it took the threads out with it.
I had to lay underneath the car and some how with the power of God was able to re-thread each side with a thread catcher for 02 bungs.

A shop tried 2 days before to re-thread, they gave up after 2 hours.

Took about 5 hours each side, as the space is really cramped for that particular sensor location on that car.

So, maybe install all the senors in first before installing the DPF delete pipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #1576
xboxgod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Maybe joe_planet has a different opinion, but we didn't run into any of these issues on my car. We too the DPF out with everything still attached, removed everything from the DPF, installed onto the new pipe, and then put the pipe back in. DDE should be back today so I will install it tomorrow. When I do, I will look at the clearance issue and make sure I am good.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:52 AM   #1577
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

xbox i believe that would be the proper way to take everything off

GTP wow impressive and with meth even more then you really dont need the IC I plan to use meth for more cleaning purposes but what the hell why not race with it LOL

TDi I posted the whp gains with the WAGNER IC maybe you missed that but I ran back to back and did not heat soaked, the weight will be transfered to the DPF so there might be some difference there, at 370/538 is impressive numbers I will everyone posted on everything and NO Im not installing the DPF my mechanic will and i will post Video and Pics ok
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #1578
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
Maybe joe_planet has a different opinion, but we didn't run into any of these issues on my car. We too the DPF out with everything still attached, removed everything from the DPF, installed onto the new pipe, and then put the pipe back in. DDE should be back today so I will install it tomorrow. When I do, I will look at the clearance issue and make sure I am good.
I think everything went fine as far as clearance is concerned. Obviously the fixture ecotune built didnt include things like bungs, as there's a wide variance in its placement. Neither did they have a vehicle because those bungs could have easily been relocated for more clearance since their placement is no longer crucial.

So when's dyno day?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #1579
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
TDi I posted the whp gains with the WAGNER IC maybe you missed that but I ran back to back and did not heat soaked, the weight will be transfered to the DPF so there might be some difference there, at 370/538 is impressive numbers I will everyone posted on everything and NO Im not installing the DPF my mechanic will and i will post Video and Pics ok
I've read your posts on that and commented about this same thing multiple times...

Your data was from different days with different fuel with no information on the condition of the DPF (freshly regenerated, or approaching a regen), intake air temps, EGT's, etc... The "gains" you think you saw are within the margin of error/repeatability of a dyno, let alone the potential impacts of the DPF/fuel variations, weather, etc.

The IC would not have helped my dyno runs anyway since there was no fan/air being blown over the car to shed heat... This test without air was done as a worst case stress test on the system and would be a worst case heat soaking condition.

See an example of the impact of no air being blown over a bmw in terms of dyno results here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lying-feature

To prove his point, Dinan bolts to his Dynopack one of his 2003 Dinan M5s, heavily tweaked to make a claimed 470 horsepower at the crank (he expects about 415 at the wheels). With the hood closed and no external fan blowing air into the radiator, the car wheezes out just 334 horsepower at the wheels. An LCD data logger on the dashboard reveals the air-fuel ratio from the engine computer. Approaching redline, the BMW's computer richens the mixture all
the way to 9.5:1 as the underhood temperatures soar...

Now Dinan opens the hood and turns on a small Home Depot shop fan blowing about 10 mph worth of air. The M5 is allowed to shed some excess heat and then run again. This time the computer finds another 37 horsepower, or 371. Things are looking up, but the M5's output is still nowhere near Dinan's expected number of 415.

"I can't claim something I can't measure," says Dinan, so the crew then wheels out the big gun: a $7000 electric fan that looks like it should be hanging on the wing of a Boeing 737. It blasts 38,000 cubic feet per minute of air at 75 mph down a narrow duct, right into the M5's radiator. The fan roars, the M5 howls, the computer twinkles, and the graph paper ticka-ticks out of the printer. It says 411.4 horsepower, the best run of the day.
      07-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #1580
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Joe remember ECOTUNE did Tdi's DPF as their test bed what happened here is that they made the pipe according to Euro( British 335d, right hand side with steering column)set up cause thay had NO U.S. car to actually configure it properly thats why i believe the pipe is giving problems to put in
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:23 AM   #1581
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxgod View Post
I was able to find a position where those things didn't have any clearance issues either. Would be interesting to have all the pipes side by side to see what type of variations there are. But I'm not volunteering to remove mine for that test...
      07-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #1582
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

TDi I used the same fuel from Phillips 76 as far as ambient temps they were within the same range of each other. Im not discrediting you but I do not do EGt's or what Techie methods you used and i respect that but the dyno runs speak for themselves and they were done on the SAME dyno machine, so give or take a few i believe its as consisted as possibly it can be. Again I can vouch the IC did its work cause i used to have OEM IC and I heat soaked previously, now if you want to come down here to PR I will invite to do so and stay over at my place and then you can do the techie part cause Im interested in your ideas simple as that amigo. take the challenge and we'll have a few brewskies on me, and of course you dont have to shave your legs I have a girlfriend (LOL)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #1583
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Tdi the only person to that is 2deer he has both pipes and he can summons it Ill call him ok great idea

Just texted Jess to do side by side pics of both pipes ok he hasnt have one of his avail. yet
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #1584
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
TDi I used the same fuel from Phillips 76 as far as ambient temps they were within the same range of each other. Im not discrediting you but I do not do EGt's or what Techie methods you used and i respect that but the dyno runs speak for themselves and they were done on the SAME dyno machine, so give or take a few i believe its as consisted as possibly it can be. Again I can vouch the IC did its work cause i used to have OEM IC and I heat soaked previously, now if you want to come down here to PR I will invite to do so and stay over at my place and then you can do the techie part cause Im interested in your ideas simple as that amigo. take the challenge and we'll have a few brewskies on me, and of course you dont have to shave your legs I have a girlfriend (LOL)
The same station doesn't mean its the same fuel. Fuel chemical composition varies from fuel truck load to fuel truck. The carbon chain variations cause changes in the stochiometry condtion which changes optimum air fuel ratio's which impacts power capability depending on the lambda ratio the DDE is setting for its peak fueling condition. The condition of the DPF affects EGT's and sustain peak fueling, and too high an EGT causes the DDE to defuel. Those are the types of things you can get a handle on if you are measuring EGT's, boost, IAT's, AFR, etc... Without that info you can't say your fuel was the same or your car has more power capability with the IC.

Besides ambient temps, humidity has a big impact on peak power capability as well. Was that the same?

Your dyno improvements were minimal and within the repeatability and margin of error and the host of other things that could have varied. But if you want to believe that and those hood scoops are helping you, that's your business.