E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Horn is missing after removing airbag

12-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #1
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

Horn is missing after removing airbag

hey there. horn seems to be missing. I replaced the wires, as old ones definitely looked snapped, but that did not help. The main problem is that I can not find where horn wire should be plugged on. it's on 335xi lci.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Hopefully this should help. Photo below of where it goes, plus link with full photo DIY on removing and reinstalling an E9X wheel. Should do if for you, I would imagine.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

12-17-2018, 11:59 PM   #3
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Hopefully this should help. Photo below of where it goes, plus link with full photo DIY on removing and reinstalling an E9X wheel. Should do if for you, I would imagine.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11825

[img]https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...8;d=1138478979[/img]
i saw those pictures already, but I still can't find anything to connect it to. it seems that it is just left to lay in there, and if leave it like that, it doesn't work for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #4
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupsaiden View Post
i saw those pictures already, but I still can't find anything to connect it to. it seems that it is just left to lay in there, and if leave it like that, it doesn't work for me.

Are you referring to the grounding wire that I have circled in PHOTO 2? If yes, then it attaches to a screw noted in PHOTO 1. Your wheel seems slightly different and I don't see that grounding screw in your photo. I would believe, that even if you don't have that, you can attach it to anything that is grounded. This might be your problem, as if the horn isn't grounded then it isn't going to work.
Attached Images

12-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to the grounding wire that I have circled in PHOTO 2? If yes, then it attaches to a screw noted in PHOTO 1. Your wheel seems slightly different and I don't see that grounding screw in your photo. I would believe, that even if you don't have that, you can attach it to anything that is grounded. This might be your problem, as if the horn isn't grounded then it isn't going to work.
Ground wire is indeed attached in my case as well. I am talking about a longer half brown/red wire which in your example photo is connected to something on the very right of that picture. In my case, there is nothing to connect it to there.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ground wire is indeed attached in my case as well. I am talking about a longer half brown/red wire which in your example photo is connected to something on the very right of that picture. In my case, there is nothing to connect it to there.
Are you referring to what I have circled in this photo?

If yes - that is also a grounding wire, I believe. In my photo, it just slides over a small metal tab protruding from the metal center plate of the steering wheel. In your photo, it appears to be missing. If that is the case, I would imagine that you can attach it to any piece of protruding metal on that plate you can find. Your metal plate looks odd - it might be due to your location as compared to mine, but who knows. If unable to find anything to secure it too, you could always solder it to the plate as a last resort. I would think that might work, although I would try to find a better solution first.
Attached Images

12-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you referring to what I have circled in this photo?

If yes - that is also a grounding wire, I believe. In my photo, it just slides over a small metal tab protruding from the metal center plate of the steering wheel. In your photo, it appears to be missing. If that is the case, I would imagine that you can attach it to any piece of protruding metal on that plate you can find. Your metal plate looks odd - it might be due to your location as compared to mine, but who knows. If unable to find anything to secure it too, you could always solder it to the plate as a last resort. I would think that might work, although I would try to find a better solution first.
I have one extra metal plate which looks like yours, and I will see if I can manage to attach it down there. Thank you very much! Didn't know it's a ground wire as well, and was blindly looking for some socket to insert it into...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:01 AM   #8
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have one extra metal plate which looks like yours, and I will see if I can manage to attach it down there. Thank you very much! Didn't know it's a ground wire as well, and was blindly looking for some socket to insert it into...
Cool, man. Hope this helps also - see below. Pic one is it attached and pic two shows what the tab looks like with it removed.
Attached Images

12-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Cool, man. Hope this helps also - see below. Pic one is it attached and pic two shows what the tab looks like with it removed.
Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      12-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #10
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
it works! thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
it works! thank you!!!
Fantastic! Always great to hear of a positive outcome!

03-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Well, my horn doesn't work, so this is what I'm going to check!
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00