E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Anyone in this group have their turbos replaced?

10-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 335

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Anyone in this group have their turbos replaced?

Curious if anyone in the greater Boston/Southern New Hampshire area, has upgraded their turbos? I think my front one is on it's way out. I'm wondering what I should replace them with? I think Turner just started selling Vargas, I also read that RB makes nice ones. Not looking to go single turbo or anything like that. I have a 2007 335 Cobb tuned with all the bolt ons. I'd like a recommendation on an installer as well. I don't think I am up to doing it myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

A reply from Torgus about going single turbo coming in 3...2...1...
      10-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Hah

Get RBs. F Vargas. As for shops Farley at eurotek or max at NorthEast Autobahn. Install is a pita. If you want introductions to any vendors or local shops let me know. I get nothing out of it as I'm single turbo etc. Also motiv to tune it. You will need inlets at a minimum.

I have RB inlets for sale under 500 miles on them btw.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #4
Beakmoney
Private
Rep
Drives: Company car+07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike View Post
Curious if anyone in the greater Boston/Southern New Hampshire area, has upgraded their turbos? I think my front one is on it's way out. I'm wondering what I should replace them with? I think Turner just started selling Vargas, I also read that RB makes nice ones. Not looking to go single turbo or anything like that. I have a 2007 335 Cobb tuned with all the bolt ons. I'd like a recommendation on an installer as well. I don't think I am up to doing it myself.
I have RB Evo 17T fully optioned with RB inlets/outlets...had a BMW tech do the install 'on the side' and for various reasons I won't get in to, will not be recommending that route. Rob on the other hand was great to deal with even when there was a pretty significant delay in shipping(I should have ordered earlier given what I needed to accomplish in a time frame, and he told me as much). Turbos are great, oil consumption went from 1.5qt/1000mi to 0qt/3000mi so far, sound is great, power is a massive improvement over stock even though they haven't been pushed beyond 16psi. That being said I have developed a massive exhaust leak up stream of midpipes that will be checked out tomorrow at Wile Motorsport in Walpole - came highly recommended and seem to do good work.
If I could do it all over again, I'd have bought the Speedtech single turbo with a garrett 3582 but they made it available 5 months too late.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:05 AM   #5
Hbiliouris335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Bmw 335i Xdrive 6MT

I would say Wile Motorsport of Max at Northeast Autobahn. Both very honest!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies, guys! I wasn't getting notified in my email.

Torgus, I could definitely use some advice on a vendor for the RB turbo. Or do I just buy direct? If you still have the inlets by the time I pull the trigger, I'll take them.

Beakmoney, what do you use for software with the RB Evo 17T setup? Oh and Speedtech single turbo with a garrett 3582 is 800bhp?! Holy crap. I assume you would need to change a bunch of other things if you had that much horsepower, no? Clutch, etc...

I was hoping to find a shop a little closer to me (I live in Methuen) but I am willing to travel a bit for solid work at a fair price.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #7
Beakmoney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys! I wasn't getting notified in my email.

Torgus, I could definitely use some advice on a vendor for the RB turbo. Or do I just buy direct? If you still have the inlets by the time I pull the trigger, I'll take them.

Beakmoney, what do you use for software with the RB Evo 17T setup? Oh and Speedtech single turbo with a garrett 3582 is 800bhp?! Holy crap. I assume you would need to change a bunch of other things if you had that much horsepower, no? Clutch, etc...

I was hoping to find a shop a little closer to me (I live in Methuen) but I am willing to travel a bit for solid work at a fair price.
The 3582 will not support 800hp I don't think, but given my goals for this car that it maybe even smaller would be my turbo choice.
Car is running on oem boost solenoids(new), 3.5bar map sensor and jb4/mhd. Runs pretty well but could always be faster. Will be tuned by someone who knows what they're doing as soon as I sort this exhaust leak and low throttle hesitation-will likely use twisted tuning.
For whatever it's worth, Wile will likely get all of my business going forward. Knows his stuff, fair and friendly. Dropping my car off next week to have both turbo outlet vband clamps replaced(one is broken causing my leak) and have some other brake work done.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
BostonMike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
Beakmoney, I have been reading up on RB today and some of their offerings. Rob seems like a very knowledgeable guy. I like all the offerings he has too. I like the RB Next Gen 15T for my car. A bit more money that I was planning for though. My wastgates are rattling like a bastid now, so I'm going to need to do something soon. Did you need a new clutch with your setup? Do you, or anyone else reading this, have an estimation on install cost?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #9
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
If anyone wants a personal introduction to Rob at RB, Jake at Motiv, Anthony at ACF, Tiago at VRSF etc. just let me know. I will make it via email. I've spoken and bought from most of the vendors. I get nothing out of it, I just like to help people out. No one gets a deal by buying off an online marketplace. Let me put it that way.

Install cost varies from shop to shop. You also are likely to do more than just the turbos. Like if you are doing turbos do the inlets at the same time at least and consider outlets. You have to remove and then reinstall the outlets anyways during a twin install so you might as well upgrade as it is no more cost in labor and the part is small money. If your water pump is original you probably want to swap that out while you/the shop is in there etc. Also a good time to upgrade your IC to handle the larger twins, maybe walnut blast while you are in there. You get the idea. Twins alone should be around a grand I would say. 8 hours @ $125 an hour. Shops can get it done faster if they know what they are doing.

Wile is a good shop.

edit: BostonMike, PM your email and full name and I will make the intro to Rob Beck via email. No reason to buy from a reseller. Also go direct for the best prices. At this time of the year inquire about black friday deals. The speedtech kit for $2900 starts witha smaller journal bearing turbo, I doubt it will hit 800whp. Just it's a great starting price and not everyone needs dual ball bearing turbos etc.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-07-2018 at 04:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #10
Beakmoney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Beakmoney, I have been reading up on RB today and some of their offerings. Rob seems like a very knowledgeable guy. I like all the offerings he has too. I like the RB Next Gen 15T for my car. A bit more money that I was planning for though. My wastgates are rattling like a bastid now, so I'm going to need to do something soon. Did you need a new clutch with your setup? Do you, or anyone else reading this, have an estimation on install cost?
Reach out to Rob, and reading this thread I would do so through Torgus. I considered next gen 15T and went down a rabbit hole. My original idea was RB next gen 15T w/premium wastegates, mmp inlets, vargas aluminum outlets and phoenix race intercooler(from BMS). In speaking to Rob, I decided(with ZERO salesmanship on his part) to go with the evo 17T. I will say that Rob lobbied pretty hard against the hot-side inlets, even after knowing I'd be buying from him, because of potential fitment issues and in the end I'm sure it makes no difference aside from the additional money left in my wallet. Also after a ton of reading, went with Rob's outlets and stock location inlets. My car was owned by a good friend for almost 4 years and in that time it received among many other small mods/maintenance items, a 550 clutch w/new flywheel so I'm good in that respect for a while..FWIW on my previous E90 I started experiencing clutch slip when FBO/E30 fuel.
At the time of my install I also had obviously inlets/outlets/intercooler, new oem HPFP, new oem valve cover and gasket, fuel it stage 2 full bucket, coolant bottle relocation, oil change..and I think that is all.
Said and done my install was $1800 but that included significantly more than just the turbos AND included storage for nearly 3 months. If I started from stock I would probably have hesitated a bit longer and ended up with this speedtech kit or worked something out with Doc Race or ACF to get a water cooled Garrett single turbo setup...install likely would've been the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #11
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakmoney View Post
Reach out to Rob, and reading this thread I would do so through Torgus. I considered next gen 15T and went down a rabbit hole. My original idea was RB next gen 15T w/premium wastegates, mmp inlets, vargas aluminum outlets and phoenix race intercooler(from BMS). In speaking to Rob, I decided(with ZERO salesmanship on his part) to go with the evo 17T. I will say that Rob lobbied pretty hard against the hot-side inlets, even after knowing I'd be buying from him, because of potential fitment issues and in the end I'm sure it makes no difference aside from the additional money left in my wallet. Also after a ton of reading, went with Rob's outlets and stock location inlets. My car was owned by a good friend for almost 4 years and in that time it received among many other small mods/maintenance items, a 550 clutch w/new flywheel so I'm good in that respect for a while..FWIW on my previous E90 I started experiencing clutch slip when FBO/E30 fuel.
At the time of my install I also had obviously inlets/outlets/intercooler, new oem HPFP, new oem valve cover and gasket, fuel it stage 2 full bucket, coolant bottle relocation, oil change..and I think that is all.
Said and done my install was $1800 but that included significantly more than just the turbos AND included storage for nearly 3 months. If I started from stock I would probably have hesitated a bit longer and ended up with this speedtech kit or worked something out with Doc Race or ACF to get a water cooled Garrett single turbo setup...install likely would've been the same.
How much did the turbos cost you and what kind of power are you putting down now, and on what fuel?
      11-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
Beakmoney
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakmoney View Post
How much did the turbos cost you and what kind of power are you putting down now, and on what fuel?
Turbos cost what they cost on the website, Rob doesn't do wholesale. In terms of power, I have no idea. I've been chasing little gremlins since I got the car back but I think that it's almost time to turn it up, worst case I'm probably 2 a/f sensors from it being fully sorted. The goal is 500/500 said and done with some headroom for e85 should the mood strike me, I think it'll get there.
Appreciate 0