E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Turbo/Wastegate Problems (N54 Engine)

05-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
BMW 335 N54
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i (E54)

Angry 335i Turbo/Wastegate Problems (N54 Engine)

I am having issues with one (or both) of my turbos. There is a rattling noise and the wastegate isn't dumping pressure any more. I have seen that BMW NorthAmerica (which does not include Canada) has extended the warranty on the turbos and wastegates to 8 years/82,000 miles (132,000 kms). BMW Canada acknowledges there is a problem but will not extend their warranty or recall any of the vehicles having this issue. The problem is specifically with vehicles with the N54 engine (135, 335, and 535 models).

This youtube video explains the problem and provides a very simple test to diagnose if it is your turbo's causing the noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ArJdYAHfI

If you are experiencing this problem please visit my post on BMW Canada's facebook page and like and comment.
http://www.facebook.com/BMW.Canada/p...52439369808828

If you are experiencing this problem or to discuss further please email me at: bruce.inns@gmail.com

This need to get some attention before BMW will do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
tm6030
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i 2009

I dont get why they didnt include Canada
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 03:06 PM   #3
BMW 335 N54
Registered
Rep

BMW Canada has no affiliation with BMW NorthAmerica.

BMW Canada is trying to claim that they use different parts than the American models... this is bullshit, and is clearly them trying to tip toe around the issue.

Customer service representative at BMW Canada (Sabrina) will not let me talk with anyone else and refuses to give me her extension number.

Please let anyone you know with this engine about the problem and direct them to my post on BMW Canada's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BMW.Canada/...52439369808828)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddymultani View Post
I dont get why they didnt include Canada
Two different countries.
Two different distribution networks, etc.....

US emissions laws, specifically Calif. is 8 years.
In Calif. anything emissions related is covered for an extended period no matter what the manufacturer says. Since the units are pre-cat and the exhaust passes through them in Calif. they are covered.

They just made it universal in the US.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
BMW 335 N54
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Two different countries.

In Calif. anything emissions related is covered for an extended period no matter what the manufacturer says. Since the units are pre-cat and the exhaust passes through them in Calif. they are covered.

This explain's why California got the recall... but does not explain why it was applied to the rest of the country, or why Canadian customers shouldn't be afforded the same service. All you said was 'they just did'.

If the recall was made available to all US customers, this means that it's not just because of Calfiornia's stricter emission laws.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
Two different countries.

Recalls are immediate safety concerns, nothing to do with emissions.

If this is a recall we are talking about. Service bulletins are something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL_GILLZ View Post
Are we able to get enough people together to get BMW Canada to do something regarding the turbo warranty on the N54. Can we arrange a class action lawsuit thats what was done in the US for the turbo and the HPFP.

Any information and anyone else with the same problem in Ontario or anywhere in Canada can we rally to get our parts changed.
You want free turbos on a 11 year old car ?

Its a bit too late i think. Regardless of what happened in US. This should have been raised long time ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL_GILLZ View Post
I was out of the country my vehicle is actually a US spec vehicle and the warranty applies but the Canadian dealers never mentioned anything to be about even when i get the HPFP done back in 2012... Then i was out of the country until now.

I was in the market for a new M4 and they decided to inform me regarding airbag and motor wiring recalls but never the Turbo warranty.

Go figure.

I know i should have done my research but it is a little too late :/ I know they have gone ahead and performed the warranty on some vehicles based on good will. Case by case basis.

I know a lot of people suffered because of the N54 turbo problem

Just super late on it -__-
So much wrong info on this thread. Air bag and blower motor recalls are BMW. Turbo/wastegate repair/replacements are US law that regulates emissions and is applicable to all make and models not only BMW. This has nothing to do with BMW Canada since isn't mandated by the government of Canada like it is in US. My wife drives VW. Dealer replaced the charcoal canister, Evap purge valve and catalytic converter for free when was 5-6 years old and way past the 36.000 factory warranty. Why? Well US government made them do it.
Appreciate 0