E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 Tuning, Maintenance, Parts and DIY MEGATHREAD

08-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #111
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
IF YOUR COOLANT TEMPERATURES ARE UNDER 88C YOU NEED TO REPLACE YOUR THERMOSTAT. SEE THE LINK TO DIY GUIDES FOR MORE INFO.
I'm on week 3 of ownership of my used 2011 335d.

First fun was dropping $400 on a dead battery on day 5. Luckily it didn't die on the drive back from purchase in Florida.

Second fun was a Service Engine Soon light that I will diagnose as soon as my Foxwell tool is dropped off by Amazon tomorrow.

Third fun was heeding the bolded quote above, learning how to monitor coolant temp in the hidden menu, and discovering that my car is only holding 84C on a half hour cruise at 75mph on and August early evening. Yay. Mo money. I was wondering why my car was struggling to get 30 mpg.

But thanks for the excellent tips. I'm working my way through the quirks on this platform, and this thread is a great start.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #112
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHen335d View Post
Third fun was heeding the bolded quote above, learning how to monitor coolant temp in the hidden menu, and discovering that my car is only holding 84C on a half hour cruise at 75mph on and August early evening. Yay. Mo money. I was wondering why my car was struggling to get 30 mpg.
Your (barely) failing thermostat isn't the reason you aren't getting above 30 mpg. You got bigger problems if you can't easily achieve 30 mpg during extended highway driving. It will be revealing to see what codes your car is throwing.

Replacement of that $65 thermostat is likely to be the least expensive fix in your immediate future. Hope you at least got a great deal on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:32 AM   #113
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
Your (barely) failing thermostat isn't the reason you aren't getting above 30 mpg. You got bigger problems if you can't easily achieve 30 mpg during extended highway driving. It will be revealing to see what codes your car is throwing.

Replacement of that $65 thermostat is likely to be the least expensive fix in your immediate future. Hope you at least got a great deal on the car.
The EPA-mandated gobbledygook will be deleted eventually. I'm just trying to get the expected maintenance items all addressed before tuning: t-stat, vacuum lines, h-balancer, cbu, etc. I also don't see any stickers under hood or on b-pillar jam showing that any voluntary recalls/SIBs have been addressed. If the code(s) are related to the SIBs, I'll have the local dealer work those issues.

I think I got a fair deal: $14.0k for a 2011 sport/paddles/premium/nav w/ 66k miles. Excellent cosmetically. Great dealer service history, for whatever that was worth. I didn't get into it not knowing that there would be an initial outlay for the known niggles that a blissfully unaware original owner wouldn't have dug into without a light on the dash. Also, I didn't get the SES until I absolutely hammered the car on a straight stretch of back road after about 1,500 miles of ownership.

Update on this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectAce View Post
It will be revealing to see what codes your car is throwing.
Scanned and got code P02CC - Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector, Offset Learning at Min Limit

Last edited by BlueHen335d; 08-09-2018 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: Scanned and added the code.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #114
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Scanned and got code P02CC - Cylinder 1 Fuel Injector, Offset Learning at Min Limit
Classic CBU or failing injector code. Most likely is CBU.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #115
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Quote:
I'm on week 3 of ownership of my used 2011 335d.

First fun was dropping $400 on a dead battery on day 5. Luckily it didn't die on the drive back from purchase in Florida.

Second fun was a Service Engine Soon light that I will diagnose as soon as my Foxwell tool is dropped off by Amazon tomorrow.

But thanks for the excellent tips. I'm working my way through the quirks on this platform, and this thread is a great start.
?? A top of the line AGM battery with 7 year warranty costs $165. Installation is easy, and all you need is Carly for BMW to register it. How did a battery cost you 242% more than this? Hell you can get a halfway decent $125 Costco battery and get 5 years out of it.

BTW regarding fuel economy: it's FL-level humid here during our monsoon season right now (no, it's not always a dry heat!) Experimenting with turning AC off, I saw an instant increase of 10% fuel economy. It's literally costing 3 mpg just to keep AC on 75F in automatic mode. Living in FL, that has to be killing your MPG some.

Also check your tire pressures. Try 37F/42R (ish). Check for wheel bearing or brake drag: put a hand on each wheel at the end of a drive and if it feels hotter than the others, it may be a problem.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #116
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklockard View Post
?? A top of the line AGM battery with 7 year warranty costs $165. Installation is easy, and all you need is Carly for BMW to register it. How did a battery cost you 242% more than this? Hell you can get a halfway decent $125 Costco battery and get 5 years out of it.

BTW regarding fuel economy: it's FL-level humid here during our monsoon season right now (no, it's not always a dry heat!) Experimenting with turning AC off, I saw an instant increase of 10% fuel economy. It's literally costing 3 mpg just to keep AC on 75F in automatic mode. Living in FL, that has to be killing your MPG some.

Also check your tire pressures. Try 37F/42R (ish). Check for wheel bearing or brake drag: put a hand on each wheel at the end of a drive and if it feels hotter than the others, it may be a problem.
Hey, Mr. Smarty Pants! I've seen you on TDIClub for years. I'm Blue_Hen_TDI there.

I paid $368, to be exact, to have an indy put in a BMW OEM lead acid. I didn't have any tools to register yet and didn't want to wait. The BMW dealer had quoted me $480 if you want some additional humor.

I got the SES cleared and it hasn't come back in 500 miles. I tried some of the Hot Shots Diesel Extreme to hopefully loosen up the injector that was popping the code, for whatever that might have been worth. So far, so good.

Also, I'm in Delaware. I bought it in Florida. I'm still blasting the AC up here. If I lay off the throttle, I can attain mid 30s, so it's not like the car is way off. I do think my t-stat is well on its way to s**t'sville though. Also, tires are inflated to door jam specs.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #117
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Hey guys,
I contacted http://www.tunemyeuro.com/ and asked them about the custom tune they offer for the M57 which you basically need with the deletes etc. This was their response:

"You will not have a check engine light on, but there will be more than 2 readiness tests marked failed/incomplete."

I can't pass in MA with 2 or more than 2 not ready, only 1 not ready(thank you MA!). Any suggestions or any work arounds? I want to full delete and run JR 2.8 on my X5 35D.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #118
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Hey guys,
I contacted http://www.tunemyeuro.com/ and asked them about the custom tune they offer for the M57 which you basically need with the deletes etc. This was their response:

"You will not have a check engine light on, but there will be more than 2 readiness tests marked failed/incomplete."

I can't pass in MA with 2 or more than 2 not ready, only 1 not ready(thank you MA!). Any suggestions or any work arounds? I want to full delete and run JR 2.8 on my X5 35D.

Thanks in advance.
Not sure if there is a way around this. If the tuner sets readiness in the software to those values, then theres not much you can do aside from using another piece of software to change those. Maybe ISTA, INPA, etc can permanently change these.

This makes me wonder why the tuner sets the values to failed/incomplete. My assumption is that its to stay in line with the tunes being sold as "for off-road use only".
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #119
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I'm surprised there are not the equivalent of 02 sensor simulators etc. that people use to fake out the electronics. Even if it is just used temporarily. I would think it would really open up the market for their tunes if they had a way to trick the the DME into readiness mode for those sensors...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:42 PM   #120
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I'm surprised there are not the equivalent of 02 sensor simulators etc. that people use to fake out the electronics. Even if it is just used temporarily. I would think it would really open up the market for their tunes if they had a way to trick the the DME into readiness mode for those sensors...
I think liability is the main reason they dont offer things like that. At the moment they sell tunes for off road and track use. The moment they allow owners to trick readiness would suggest they are automatically trying to circumvent state and federal law.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #121
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
I think liability is the main reason they dont offer things like that. At the moment they sell tunes for off road and track use. The moment they allow owners to trick readiness would suggest they are automatically trying to circumvent state and federal law.
I disagree only because I have an example I am readily aware of for this platform that has been around for years:

VRSF sells downpipes for off road use only and DP fix which fools the computer into thinking there are 02 sensors in place on the same website. All manufactured or private labeled by them.

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-catless...-bmw-335i.html

Another example, 02 simulators have been used since the 90s, maybe before. There are tons of them on sites that sell off road use only products.

The reason I am looking into the deletes for the x5 is rumor has it that VRSF might be releasing some products for the M57. VRSF's price and quality cannot be touched imo. I've installed their products and been very happy on multiple n54s. This is a non starter for me if I can't pass state inspection which allows only 1 readiness check unready.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #122
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I disagree only because I have an example I am readily aware of for this platform that has been around for years:

VRSF sells downpipes for off road use only and DP fix which fools the computer into thinking there are 02 sensors in place on the same website. All manufactured or private labeled by them.

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-catless...-bmw-335i.html

Another example, 02 simulators have been used since the 90s, maybe before. There are tons of them on sites that sell off road use only products.

The reason I am looking into the deletes for the x5 is rumor has it that VRSF might be releasing some products for the M57. VRSF's price and quality cannot be touched imo. I've installed their products and been very happy on multiple n54s. This is a non starter for me if I can't pass state inspection which allows only 1 readiness check unready.
I see your point, and you're probably right. I may be arguing semantics here but the item you linked me to just eliminates the check engine light and doesn't necessarily set readiness. I think there is a big enough difference between the two. I'll have read up more on these.

Either way, just as you, I'm curious if there is a way to change those settings. I'll be moving overseas in the not too distant future and plan on taking the 335D with me. Would be good to know if a fix like this exists.

Btw, you wouldn't happen to know if all the tunes for the 335D set two readiness parameters to failed/incomplete, would you?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #123
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I see your point, and you're probably right. I may be arguing semantics here but the item you linked me to just eliminates the check engine light and doesn't necessarily set readiness. I think there is a big enough difference between the two. I'll have read up more on these.

Either way, just as you, I'm curious if there is a way to change those settings. I'll be moving overseas in the not too distant future and plan on taking the 335D with me. Would be good to know if a fix like this exists.

Btw, you wouldn't happen to know if all the tunes for the 335D set two readiness parameters to failed/incomplete, would you?
The DP fix I posted above actually does fix the readiness OBD2 check. This allows people on the N54 to pass inspection when they have a 800whp turbo

Customer Service @ tunemyeuro.com aka the JR tune gave me this information.

I assume all the tunes function in basically the same way. If any of the 'tuners' could find a software work around to enable the readiness check it would be a huge selling point for one over the other. As all the M57 tunes seem to be about the same power output wise I would assume they all have the same readiness 'issues'...

Last edited by Torgus; 09-20-2018 at 12:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #124
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
The DP fix I posted above actually does fix the readiness OBD2 check. This allows people on the N54 to pass inspection when they have a 800whp turbo

Customer Service @ tunemyeuro.com aka the JR tune gave me this information.

I assume all the tunes function in basically the same way. If any of the 'tuners' could find a software work around to enable the readiness check it would be a huge selling point for one over the other. As all the M57 tunes seem to be about the same power output wise I would assume they all have the same readiness 'issues'...
Thanks for the insight and valuable information. I had no idea these things existed. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in with a suggestion on how to set the two readiness blocks/checks to passed.

Out of sheer curiosity, I'd like to hear one of the tuners give a technical explanation on why its so hard to set those values as passed.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #125
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of sheer curiosity, I'd like to hear one of the tuners give a technical explanation on why its so hard to set those values as passed.
Do you realize just how illegal doing something like that is?

Selling an "off-road only" tune with those monitors not being marked as passed is one thing. Purposely setting them as passed to skirt federal emissions laws is grounds to have your company shut down. I bet if you call any of the tuning companies they'll tell you the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #126
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you realize just how illegal doing something like that is?

Selling an "off-road only" tune with those monitors not being marked as passed is one thing. Purposely setting them as passed to skirt federal emissions laws is grounds to have your company shut down. I bet if you call any of the tuning companies they'll tell you the same thing.
Thats the point I was making in one of my earlier posts. Torgus posted a link to a device that's able to set these values on some cars to passed so it seems someone is allowed to sell them (or is taking the risk selling them).
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #127
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats the point I was making in one of my earlier posts. Torgus posted a link to a device that's able to set these values on some cars to passed so it seems someone is allowed to sell them (or is taking the risk selling them).
Big risk. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that if you call the tuner directly you'll get all of the answers you need.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #128
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Big risk. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that if you call the tuner directly you'll get all of the answers you need.
Haha touché!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #129
grafton
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335d

how do you check your coolant temps? carlyBMW? my 335d doesnt have a coolant gauge its so annoying, only bloody mpg gauge which seems of little use in a diesel, should be on the 335i petrol version instead surely
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:43 AM   #130
BlueHen335d
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafton View Post
how do you check your coolant temps? carlyBMW? my 335d doesnt have a coolant gauge its so annoying, only bloody mpg gauge which seems of little use in a diesel, should be on the 335i petrol version instead surely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exeRgWtkt4
There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, you get it. It turns off every time you turn the car off, which sucks.

I can also check it with my Foxwell tool. Not sure about Carly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #131
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7exeRgWtkt4
There's a bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, you get it. It turns off every time you turn the car off, which sucks.

I can also check it with my Foxwell tool. Not sure about Carly.
I've seen that a few times in the past. A bit inconvenient to do on a daily basis.

I wish someone would find an easier way to either access this information or display it permanently or on the multimedia screen....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #132
Wilder
Registered
Rep

I'm new to the diesel world, (new 335d owner), and appreciate the simplicity of this thread. Since the model has been around for awhile there's an abundance of info on the web and it's easy to find yourself in a rabbit hole so the basic definitions of this post helped clear up a handful of questions I've amassed over the past week. Thanks for your efforts Torqu3!
Appreciate 1
Torqu3319.00