E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Front Windshield Tint?

02-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #23
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Why would feel like a criminal haha? If you have nothing to hide then there is no reason to feel like that. I have tinted windows and I carry, then again I feel safe and content. Guess it depends on those who have something to hide or are scared of a $135 ticket(my area).
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #24
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantCatchMe View Post
Why would feel like a criminal haha? If you have nothing to hide then there is no reason to feel like that. I have tinted windows and I carry, then again I feel safe and content. Guess it depends on those who have something to hide or are scared of a $135 ticket(my area).
Long ago, I used to have really dark tints on my side windows. I had nothing to hide, I just didn't want to get pulled over for my tints! I know the feeling "please don't pull me over please don't pull me over". Every time you see a cop you get nervous. It gets old after a while. Just my opinion though. Some people I'm sure don't care.

Now? I actually gravitate towards cops instead of trying to avoid them because of some illegal tint.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #25
CantCatchMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i xdrive msport(E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Long ago, I used to have really dark tints on my side windows. I had nothing to hide, I just didn't want to get pulled over for my tints! I know the feeling "please don't pull me over please don't pull me over". Every time you see a cop you get nervous. It gets old after a while. Just my opinion though. Some people I'm sure don't care.

Now? I actually gravitate towards cops instead of trying to avoid them because of some illegal tint.
I totally get your point. I know it's not for everyone so opinions will differ. I was just curious why you stated that.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:36 PM   #26
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR View Post
Lately i've been seeing cars having front windshield tints. I was thinking about putting a light tint on but at the same time i dont want to run into problems with the cops . Whats your guys opinion on front windshield tints?
My wife is a fairly new driver of about 6 years or so, she learned to drive on the 335xi and once she get her full license i started modding it with 20% tints llumar ctx all around except the windshield (35% for sunroof).

After about 4 years of driving daily in that FBO 335xi, i got her a new loaded Sienna awd, did F1 tint of 15% all around but this time i did 50% on sunroof and air blue 80% for windshield. My wife has no problems with driving either vehicle in day or night time. if i had it to do over again... i would try to get the windshield a little darker like 70% and both sunroofs at 35% or 20%

OP, i'm sure you are a more accomplished driver than my wife.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post

dude, just drive like normal and don't speed/drive like a dick and cops will leave you alone. Most states have tints as a secondary offense meaning you need to be breaking the law with a primary offense before they can pull you over.

Just don't drive too "high profile" a ride OR don't speed more than 7 mph over the limit and cops will ignore you....

tints are just a fix a ticket... remove the tint from the window for $25/window and re-install the tint for about $50/window.

2 sunroofs
rear window
6 side windows
2 tiny side windows
1 windshield
all brand name film and professionally installed for under $500

Last edited by fazman; 02-16-2016 at 10:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #28
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

Ricey, edgy and stupid.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #29
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger View Post
I've had the winshield tinted on my last 2 rides. I went ceramic tint, not very dark. I just want to keep the UV off my dashboard. The ceramic can sometimes look sort of reflective from outside, but no problems seeing out.

Thats also something i would also like to put on for. I hate the suns beams.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #30
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken593 View Post
I have 65% tinted windshield. Looks awesome, go for it!
Looks sleak! Great car btw!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #31
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3924 View Post
This is kind of a compromise I've had it for a few months now. It wont obstruct your vision and does a really good job blocking the sun on the horizon in the day. Although its very noticeable and if you get pulled over you're going to get ticketed for it, unless you're a smooth talker like me.

Looks great! Another reason why i want it done, not only for the looks but for protection from the sun.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 06:43 AM   #32
STRMTRPR
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco89 View Post
For the people that say "I've always had it on mine in my last 40 cars blah blah blah..." Don't listen to that, I am sure pilots tell other pilots "I've gone flying drunk and never had a problem" The risk is there regardless if someone else has never had a problem with it... Your visibility at night will not be optimal and you are not only risking your life, but others. Think safety first rather than how cool you are for having a tinted windshield...just my opinion.
I totally understand what you are saying. I would never want to risk peoples lives. Honestly if im going to do it im gonna go light. If i run into trouble like cops, or vision problems , i am going to take them off asap.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 07:24 AM   #33
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR View Post
I totally understand what you are saying. I would never want to risk peoples lives. Honestly if im going to do it im gonna go light. If i run into trouble like cops, or vision problems , i am going to take them off asap.
Honestly, if you end up running over a kid... it's not because of the tints. Kids do get run over all the time and it's usually after an unattentive caregiver decided something other than the child was more important to give attention to. I believe the traditional case we see is a bouncing ball across a busy road and then a second later followed by a chasing child

You could be driving any vehicle on the planet and still cause an accident if you as a driver are unattentive. It's like saying bullets kill people, no, people using guns loaded with bullets kill people
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #34
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

|instagram@underground6t9|
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Honestly, if you end up running over a kid... it's not because of the tints. Kids do get run over all the time and it's usually after an unattentive caregiver decided something other than the child was more important to give attention to. I believe the traditional case we see is a bouncing ball across a busy road and then a second later followed by a chasing child

You could be driving any vehicle on the planet and still cause an accident if you as a driver are unattentive. It's like saying bullets kill people, no, people using guns loaded with bullets kill people
You are correct, and I would like to think that at least 9/10 people that have hit a child were not aiming for the child. Now, if a child runs out into the street and you hit him/her, you probably won't get into trouble. If you do this with tint that's illegal, and if someone notices or friends/enemies say anything about your car during the investigation, you can bet lawyers will be saying your decreased vision caused this and you will be spending time with Bubba. Doesn't matter if you could have stopped the accident or not. Then comes the civil case for millions. Because America.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #36
Ruddigger
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91

In california, any tint on your windshield is very illegal. Check your local laws and then ignore them.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #37
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlow5oh View Post
You are correct, and I would like to think that at least 9/10 people that have hit a child were not aiming for the child. Now, if a child runs out into the street and you hit him/her, you probably won't get into trouble. If you do this with tint that's illegal, and if someone notices or friends/enemies say anything about your car during the investigation, you can bet lawyers will be saying your decreased vision caused this and you will be spending time with Bubba. Doesn't matter if you could have stopped the accident or not. Then comes the civil case for millions. Because America.
Trust me... if you go to court... they will say you had no front plate on and that was the difference between the life and death of the child. "If you had the front plate the child would have known you were are a car coming and would have stopped..." seriously... that kind of fear mongering is a little much. Plus with the amount of vehicles with tints all around... why has nobody gone to see bubba to date because of that? You can't play the "What if" game unless you have something to bring to the table that it has happened.

In this country I can sue you for anything I want to, I have to prove my case and determine the damage caused by said issue in a financial manor as well. That's the system. What about having the incorrect tire pressure, bad wheel alignment, or any of a million other things. The reality is two fold:

1) Caregiver - Where in the world were you to let this happen (This is by far the most important and the most reckless because you should know your own kid).
2) Driver - Why the hell are you driving in an inattentive manor? (Hell, you could be handsfree taking on a phone call or texting/choosing a song on a play list as more dangerous than tinted windshield).

Tinted windshield is no different than wearing sunglasses and driving. Optics are only impacted if the tint on sunglasses or windows is less than 20% VTL (I'm talking about an 80% VTL windshield tint).

Last edited by fazman; 02-17-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #38
yipronny
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian3924 View Post
This is kind of a compromise I've had it for a few months now. It wont obstruct your vision and does a really good job blocking the sun on the horizon in the day. Although its very noticeable and if you get pulled over you're going to get ticketed for it, unless you're a smooth talker like me.

That's the same thing I have recommend by my tint installer. It's about a 6 inch piece with 5%. Super effective in blocking out the sun or any beams. Totally recommend
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #39
Ruddigger
Major
Rep

I cant stand those windshield strips. Looks like a do-rag on the car.

Last edited by Ruddigger; 02-17-2016 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2016, 09:38 AM   #40
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger
I've had the winshield tinted on my last 2 rides. I went ceramic tint, not very dark. I just want to keep the UV off my dashboard. The ceramic can sometimes look sort of reflective from outside, but no problems seeing out.

All car windows are already uv resistant to some extent. Don't believe me? Ask anyone including me if my transitions help in the car lol.
      02-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #41
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruddigger
I cant stand those windshield strips. Looks like a do-rag on the car.
[img]http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10862312.jpg[/img]
But if you ever had to drive a car with one you'd be in love so I suggest you don't so that you can keep hating.
      02-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #42
Ruddigger
Major
Rep

Nah, I'll stick with my full windshield tint.
      02-20-2016, 02:43 PM   #43
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Tinted windshield is no different than wearing sunglasses and driving. Optics are only impacted if the tint on sunglasses or windows is less than 20% VTL (I'm talking about an 80% VTL windshield tint).
The sun is bright when we don sunglasses to cut the brightness a bit to make it more tolerable.

The light is dim when at night and it is even dimmer when we don sunglasses. Most folks have the sense to remove their sunglasses when it gets dark out and they are out for a walk, because they don't want to trip on things that they can't see.

Most kids are in their homes at night and not playing out in the street, so it is logical that most folks with tints have never had a problem avoiding hitting unseen kids.

Folks with windshield tints never get to remove 'the built in sunglasses' on the car windshield, and that is the difference, it is like having their sunglasses on at night.

Last edited by Wilt; 02-20-2016 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2016, 09:33 PM   #44
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
The sun is bright when we don sunglasses to cut the brightness a bit to make it more tolerable.

The light is dim when at night and it is even dimmer when we don sunglasses. Most folks have the sense to remove their sunglasses when it gets dark out and they are out for a walk, because they don't want to trip on things that they can't see.

Most kids are in their homes at night and not playing out in the street, so it is logical that most folks with tints have never had a problem avoiding hitting unseen kids.

Folks with windshield tints never get to remove 'the built in sunglasses' on the car windshield, and that is the difference, it is like having their sunglasses on at night.
have you seen 80% VTL? What is the VTL on sunglasses? Once you get those answers... i think you will have the answer on why what you are saying makes no sense.
Appreciate 0