E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Revisiting suspension choices

10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

Revisiting suspension choices

Well, I thought I had it figured out: Eibach PK springs and Koni yellows.

Then last night, after talking with some folks at our local BMWCCA monthly social event, decided maybe I need to look into coilovers.

So..KW V1, V2, V3? Street Comfort? Club Sport? Bilsteins? Something else? I want decent performance for occasional HPDE and the ability to maintain a comfortable ride, since it's my daily driver. I'm thinking V3s might be more than I need...but not sure what else is out there to look at for options besides the

Thoughts? Please keep in mind it has to fit and support the E93 version of the 335i. Not sure if fitment is different, but I know spring rates typically are because of the extra weight of the cabrio.

thanks
A.

2007 E93 N54
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Be honest about how you're driving and why you want to change the suspension; I doubt you're going to track an E93 much so keep ride comfort in mind for 99.9% of the time. For spirited street driving and the rare hdpe, I'd choose KW street comforts. If I ever change my suspension that's what I'll get. HPA, GC and TCKline have nice c/o's.
Those Eibach pk springs have a soft rate similar to OE sport springs but a progressive rate and lower stance. They're ideal for someone who wants to retain oe ride comfort but lower the car a bit for looks.
      10-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
andrew_b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
Be honest about how you're driving and why you want to change the suspension; I doubt you're going to track an E93 much so keep ride comfort in mind for 99.9% of the time. For spirited street driving and the rare hdpe, I'd choose KW street comforts. If I ever change my suspension that's what I'll get. HPA, GC and TCKline have nice c/o's.
Those Eibach pk springs have a soft rate similar to OE sport springs but a progressive rate and lower stance. They're ideal for someone who wants to retain oe ride comfort but lower the car a bit for looks.
Good points. I am going to start doing PCA DEs, but can't (obviously) do BMW ones since they require a roll cage for any cabrios, retractible hard top or not. So maybe 5-6 a year. Also looking into joining a track so I can run there pretty much any time I want (weekdays is unlimited, weekends you get a set number depending on membership level).

Whan you say the Eibachs have a soft rate similar to OE sport springs, but a progressive rate, does that mean they'll respond more firmly throguh the progression than the OE sport springs (I think it does, just want to make sure I understand)? This is a good thing, since the sport suspension in my year/model got poor reviews.

You earlier had mentioned the Eibach wouldn't be your choice - what would you suggest instead, and why? I put HR sport springs in a previous ride and loved them, but it needed quite a bit on the firming up side. The place in town I really trust for suspension suggested teh Eibachs over the HR. What would you suggest for springs if not the Eibach?

BTW, thanks for your help and insight - learning a lot from your replies to my and other posts here....

Last edited by andrew_b; 10-10-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_b View Post
Good points. I am going to start doing PCA DEs, but can't (obviously) do BMW ones since they require a roll cage for any cabrios, retractible hard top or not. So maybe 5-6 a year. Also looking into joining a track so I can run there pretty much any time I want (weekdays is unlimited, weekends you get a set number depending on membership level).

Whan you say the Eibachs have a soft rate similar to OE sport springs, but a progressive rate, does that mean they'll respond more firmly throguh the progression than the OE sport springs (I think it does, just want to make sure I understand)? This is a good thing, since the sport suspension in my year/model got poor reviews.

You earlier had mentioned the Eibach wouldn't be your choice - what would you suggest instead, and why? I put HR sport springs in a previous ride and loved them, but it needed quite a bit on the firming up side. The place in town I really trust for suspension suggested teh Eibachs over the HR. What would you suggest for springs if not the Eibach?

BTW, thanks for your help and insight - learning a lot from your replies to my and other posts here....
Progressive rate springs are soft intiallly and spike in rate as they compress. I wouldn't use them. I prefer a linear rate spring like my BMWPS springs or Dinan's. KW V1,2,3 use progressive rate springs; street comfort uses linear rate springs (higher rate than oe but similar front to back rates to keep pitch in check). You can adjust rebound on the KW SC's also. I haven't driven at a track in 10 yrs, so I may be wrong guy to give you advice, but I've done a ton of research on the 335i over the last 5 yrs. I can tell when I drive at illegal speeds in the mtns. that my suspension would be soft at the track, but I still haven't taken it to the track yet, so it's plenty good for me. Decide on tires and why you want to mod the suspension and go from there. And
      10-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Depends also on what you're prepared to pay. I went for these:

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/products/bms-mi00/

which really do achieve the holy grail of excellent handling with a silk smooth ride. But they're not cheap...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #6
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
I was in the same spot not to long ago, but have an e92. The KW V3 will be too much for your needs as you stated. Since you want to comfort for daily driving and rare events, I'll rule out the V1 since you can't adjust the dampers yourself. Pick between the KW v2 or Bilstein Pss9 (also BMWPS and Koni Yellow if you don't care about adjusting your height). You can't go wrong with either, so I'm not going to sit here and be bias telling you to pick the PSS9 because I have them (even though I love them).