E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Detailing 101: Common Question and Answers, What and Where to buy stuff + Technique

10-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #375
sorryiwasnapping
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin420 View Post
oooh. okay2. will use sealant. thanks. any recommendation?
Generally, people recommend Black Fire Wet Diamond as it's decently priced and has pretty good durability.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #376
robin420
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryiwasnapping View Post
Generally, people recommend Black Fire Wet Diamond as it's decently priced and has pretty good durability.
how bout klasse? as far as i know it's the same product named "carlack" here in indonesia. or CQuartz ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #377
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin420 View Post
how bout klasse? as far as i know it's the same product named "carlack" here in indonesia. or CQuartz ceramic coating?
Klasse is good stuff. I personally prefer Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #378
doink
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328 M Sport

Great writeup. Many thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #379
zanth119
Buy the ticket, take the ride!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 330cic, 2012 328ix Wagon

Garage List
I have to give great praise to DavidN for sharing his expertise. A buddy gave me the link to this post earlier this year, and I've used DavidN's best practices to really make my E46 look amazing. This is a great primer for the auto detailing beginner, I highly recommend for anone wanting to feed the detailing junkie within...
      12-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #380
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Awesome Thread

Black paint on E92.. 07 vintage.. existing swirl marks... to my knowledge, car has never been detailed properly.

I just want to run through my idea of what to do, and clarify a few things, as the start of this thread is old and some of the links don't work.. I ordered everything listed-

Z-PC Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover
Z-18 Z-18 ClayBar
ZFX ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive
Z-7 Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-2 Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes
Z-6 Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray
Z-8 Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal
314 Zaino Custom Polish Applicator

MEN-PO91EQ - 32 oz. Menzerna Intensive Polish PO 91E
BFPK-500-CCS - Dual Action 6.5 inch XL Foam Pad Kit
MF-SS7525-3 - 3 QTY Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towel
COBRA-2600P - Cobra Deluxe 600 Microfiber Combo
COBRA-CK - **The Guzzler Combo Kit
SM-3622 - 2 in 1 Sheepskin Wash Mitt with Nylon Bug Sp
DA-600 - 6 Inch Dual Action HD Backing Plate

I will be getting the PC 7424XP for Christmas.. gotta love santa lol

Re: XL foam pad kit- http://www.autogeek.net/pc-foam-pad-kit.html

I'm not sure what color pads to use during the stages of application of Zaino, so that is a primary question.. I think I have all the pads I'll need in that kit, do I?

I plan on following your Zaino routine exactly, and the next question I have concerns the use of the PC.. during the final polish stage, I do not use the PC, I use a small dab on the zaino custom polish applicator. Is that correct? and will 1oz of Z2 really coat the car 3 times without pressing the applicator down very hard?

Thank you for your posts and your time.

Last edited by gokushamax; 12-17-2011 at 09:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #381
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

drop the whole zaino line....you dont need it if you are buying the rest of the products mentioned.

get the following:
CG citrus wash and clear
fine grade or medium grade DI clay bar depending on how bad the car is
Mezerna IP or SIP
Menxerna 106 or 85rd
PCXP
5" backing plate
5.5" pad in orange, white, black, blue
CG excream glaze
BFWD
MF and WW towels

and the rest of the stuff

I've run through the whole saino line, go with menzerna, its much better in terms of gloss and wetness, not to mention what it will remove in terms of defects from the paint
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #382
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep

thx

i was hoping to be able to use what i already have on order. maybe i'll cycle into those other products in time.

any suggestions on using what i've already got coming?

or is the consensus that in addition to what i've bought, i also need to buy:

CG citrus wash and clear
fine grade or medium grade DI clay bar depending on how bad the car is
Mezerna IP or SIP
Menxerna 106 or 85rd
PCXP
5" backing plate
5.5" pad in orange, white, black, blue
CG excream glaze
BFWD
MF and WW towels

Last edited by gokushamax; 12-18-2011 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #383
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokushamax View Post
I'm not sure what color pads to use during the stages of application of Zaino, so that is a primary question.. I think I have all the pads I'll need in that kit, do I?

I plan on following your Zaino routine exactly, and the next question I have concerns the use of the PC.. during the final polish stage, I do not use the PC, I use a small dab on the zaino custom polish applicator. Is that correct? and will 1oz of Z2 really coat the car 3 times without pressing the applicator down very hard?
Use a white pad for the Z-PC and a blue pad for all the polish products you mentioned. You can use the blue pad for the Z-2 or by hand... either way is fine. Put Z-2 on really thin and it goes a long way.

Z-PC is not very abrasive, so if you have much at all in the way of swirls now it will be a slow go. You may need to move to a more abrasive product like Eric mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #384
gokushamax
Enlisted Member
Rep

thank you

i plan on starting with the Menzerna Intensive Polish, then switching to the zaino products after getting the swirl knocked down.. hopefully that's abrasive enough to get started..

thanks for the pad color info.. there's so many different pads in the kit i ordered it's a little overwhelming..

so i can use the PC buffer to do the entire job, with exception of the two types of finishing sprays i bought? my impression was that the 3 coat polish action was to be done by hand with the small zaino applicator pad...

thanks for your info guys and gals, i appreciate all the help i can get..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #385
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokushamax View Post
so i can use the PC buffer to do the entire job, with exception of the two types of finishing sprays i bought?
Yep. Post up some pics when you are done.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #386
alcolite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Wow, not the best time to learn how to clean a car in the right way, but still great to know I now have a guide! Thanks so much.

Btw, guys! Since this is my first car... this is also my first time buying all my car-cleaning products! It seems like a hassle to piece together a kit for my car, so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a good/great/the best pre-assembled car-cleaning kit! I'm looking for a kit not only for the exterior but also for interior care. Thanks guys, any and all help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #387
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Ill put one together for you..email me
enviousdetailing@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #388
e93black
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Garage List
E93 BMW 335i  [6.34]
Black Sapphire Metallic
here is my list
^note: i m a beginner, not expert.

Porter Cable 7424XP
Lake Country Customizable 5.5" CCS DA Pad Starter Kit w/Backing Plate
16” Spoke Wheel Brush (medium-stiff)
Grit Guard Bucket Insert x2
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine (128oz)
Riccardo Clay Original Yellow (8oz)
6 Pack 16oz Spray Bottles
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax (No. 845)
Meguiar's #105 Ultra-Cut Compound (32oz)
Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (32oz)
Poorboy's Wheel Sealant
The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel V2.0
The Thief Glass Towel
Tornado Buffing Towel
SONAX Wheel Cleaner Full Effect (16.9oz)
The El Cheapo Microfiber Buffing Towel x3

did i buy anything extra? or missing any must have items?
can you provide me the steps with all these products? which pads to choose? and which product do i use it for?
E93 335i BSM - BMW Performance Exhaust / H&R Sport / 19" OEM 230 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Side Skirt / Mtech Rear / Painted Reflector / M3 Spoiler / Lux H8 V3 / 6000K D1S / Rdash LED Licence / Painted Reflectors / L7 / Comfort Access / Navi iDrive / USB iPod / BT / PDC / M-Sport Suspension / CF Wrap Trim / Sport / Premium / Cold / M3 Tri-Stitched Steering w/DCT / Coded
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #389
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

My car is black metallic, should I use Menzenra PF2500 or Meguiar M205 to remove swirls, minor scratches and small etches from the bird droppings?

I have only a PC polisher, which speed setting and pads should I use for the above products? I would use insulator wax for the final step.

Please advise and thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #390
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZINGER View Post
My car is black metallic, should I use Menzenra PF2500 or Meguiar M205 to remove swirls, minor scratches and small etches from the bird droppings?

I have only a PC polisher, which speed setting and pads should I use for the above products? I would use insulator wax for the final step.

I'm not familiar with either of those polishes, but the rule of thumb is to start with the least agressive polish and work your way up as necessary.

Sorry I could not be of more assistance.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #391
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm using M205 with a white Lake Country pad on my Imperial Blue metallic F30 (very dark and close to black) and it does the trick for me with minor imperfections. I'm using the PC on speed setting 5. I have not used the Menzerna product so can't say which might be better.

Here is some info that may help you out.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #392
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

hey, i have a 2008 e92 in jet black. i bought it CPO but it had already had a lot of swirl marks and such. the paint isn't looking too impressive and there are a lot of tiny scratches that show in direct sunlight. i have zero experience with all this detailing stuff; when i wash my car i use turtle wax ICE car wash and a few supplies from an auto shop. i'd like to make it look new and maintain a glossy clean look. what should i buy? should i follow the OP's recommendations or are there better products since 2005? if someone could get me started, it would be great as i really want to get into maintaining a clean look. sorry if this has been asked before, i didn't have time to look through 18 pages of this thread. thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #393
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
hey, i have a 2008 e92 in jet black. i bought it CPO but it had already had a lot of swirl marks and such. the paint isn't looking too impressive and there are a lot of tiny scratches that show in direct sunlight. i have zero experience with all this detailing stuff; when i wash my car i use turtle wax ICE car wash and a few supplies from an auto shop. i'd like to make it look new and maintain a glossy clean look. what should i buy? should i follow the OP's recommendations or are there better products since 2005? if someone could get me started, it would be great as i really want to get into maintaining a clean look. sorry if this has been asked before, i didn't have time to look through 18 pages of this thread. thanks in advance
I would first suggest taking some time to read through this detailing guide and our Ask a Pro Blog. Both have tons of good information along with step by step instructions to help you maximize your efforts.

As for your paint there have been vast improvements in detailing technology and tools available in a very short period of time. I'll outline a full detail to help you restore the exterior paint so it has that incredible shine again.

Wash and Dry
Most swirls come from this process so be sure to use good technique and quality products. If you need to upgrade your products check out these kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar
Helps deep clean the paint.
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube

Polish
This is the step where you actually remove the swirls for good and restore that like new shine again! A buffer is a huge help here as it can more thoroughly work in the polish and really get maximum results. If interested in picking up one the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer is a completely safe and easy to use tool that will greatly improve your results. I'd recommend a two step polishing combination to really make the paint pop!
Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 - Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad 2x
Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 - Lake Country White Polishing Pad 2x

If you are not interested in a buffer or if it's not within your budget then just pick up the M205 listed above and apply that by hand with a foam applicator and medium pressure.

Sealant
Protect the shine and enhance it!
Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad 1x

Wax
A sealant provides more than enough protection and an outstanding shine so you can certainly stop there. If you want the maximum gloss apply a wax on top of the sealant.
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax - Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad

Hand remove all of these products with CLEAN microfiber towels. I highly recommend picking up about 5x - 10x DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to help! Lastly we offer 10% off with the code e90post but it doesn't apply to tools, specials and packages.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #394
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I'm using M205 with a white Lake Country pad on my Imperial Blue metallic F30 (very dark and close to black) and it does the trick for me with minor imperfections. I'm using the PC on speed setting 5. I have not used the Menzerna product so can't say which might be better.

Here is some info that may help you out.
I assume you are using the PC for polishing. How much pressure do you apply between the PC and the metal surface? Someone told me that he was using about 35 to 40 lbs with speed setting 5 - 6

Is it true? I am afraid that much pressure will create "dents" on the metal surface.

I have not purchased the M205 but I have poorboys SSR 2.5 and 1.0. I am thinking SSR2.5 will able to remove the swirl marks and light scratches on the paint surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #395
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I assume you are using the PC for polishing. How much pressure do you apply between the PC and the metal surface? Someone told me that he was using about 35 to 40 lbs with speed setting 5 - 6

Is it true? I am afraid that much pressure will create "dents" on the metal surface.
Whoa... that is like having a small child sitting on the PC. I don't find the need to apply any where near that much pressure. I apply maybe 4-5 pounds pressure on the PC with M205 and it gets the job done. I lighten up after a few passes to get a more fine polish.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #396
MAZINGER
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Whoa... that is like having a small child sitting on the PC. I don't find the need to apply any where near that much pressure. I apply maybe 4-5 pounds pressure on the PC with M205 and it gets the job done. I lighten up after a few passes to get a more fine polish.
Yes, this is what is think. I think the guy who told me is just BS.

Usually, I apply only 10 lbs. max. for polishing and about 5 lbs. for applying and removing wax.
Appreciate 0