E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aircon not working after Eonon stereo install

06-22-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Hart23
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Aircon not working after Eonon stereo install

Recently treated my 07' 328xi to a HU upgrade. now all i get is hot air from my aircon. Ive seen similar issues discussed on here but no definitive fixes. I have air coming from my vents but only hot. multiple error codes in.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart23 View Post
Recently treated my 07' 328xi to a HU upgrade. now all i get is hot air from my aircon. Ive seen similar issues discussed on here but no definitive fixes. I have air coming from my vents but only hot. multiple error codes in.
The proper procedure to remove the radio Head Unit is to FIRST remove the IHKA Control Panel below it. That involves unlocking and removing connectors on the rear of the IHKA (A/C) Control panel. For example, the "Neutral-colored" connector (X01198 in the circuit diagram below) provides connections to the 8 Flap Motors and 3 different temp sensors. If that is disconnected, fault codes will be saved in IHKA Module Memory related to each of those.

QUESTIONS:

1) Did YOU do the HU replacement or a shop?
2) Was the IHKA Control Panel removed?
3) What codes are saved in IHKA Memory?
4) What Scan Tool or Software do you have available to read IHKA codes or conduct tests? (INPA would be ideal ;-)
5) What is the build Month/Year of your vehicle?

With answers to those questions, we can probably figure out it the problem is caused by a loose connector, and WHERE that is located.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for "Heating & A/C Functions" for 2007 models built AFTER 3/1/2007:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/xBm37Oo

George
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Hart23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
The proper procedure to remove the radio Head Unit is to FIRST remove the IHKA Control Panel below it. That involves unlocking and removing connectors on the rear of the IHKA (A/C) Control panel. For example, the "Neutral-colored" connector (X01198 in the circuit diagram below) provides connections to the 8 Flap Motors and 3 different temp sensors. If that is disconnected, fault codes will be saved in IHKA Module Memory related to each of those.

QUESTIONS:

1) Did YOU do the HU replacement or a shop?
2) Was the IHKA Control Panel removed?
3) What codes are saved in IHKA Memory?
4) What Scan Tool or Software do you have available to read IHKA codes or conduct tests? (INPA would be ideal ;-)
5) What is the build Month/Year of your vehicle?

With answers to those questions, we can probably figure out it the problem is caused by a loose connector, and WHERE that is located.

Here is the TIS circuit diagram for "Heating & A/C Functions" for 2007 models built AFTER 3/1/2007:

George
Thanks for your reply.
1. I installed the HU
2.Yes I had to remove the IHKA unit and reconnect it
3/4. I used a carly scan tool, see photo for error codes
5. 04.06.07
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
1. I installed the HU
2.Yes I had to remove the IHKA unit and reconnect it
3/4. I used a carly scan tool, see photo for error codes
5. 04.06.07
Almost guaranteed Connector X01198 as shown in diagram provided earlier is disconnected. That previously-provided diagram is correct for your 328xi built April 2007, and is linked again below. Apparently Carly missed the 3 sensors that should also be setting faults, or else the Green LIN BUS wire is disconnected:

9C56: Footwell Temp Sensor
9C5F: Ventilation Temp Sensor
9C62: Evaporator Temp Sensor

The eight (8) Fault Codes Carly reads are all 8 of the flap motors:

9C48: Mixed Air Flap motor, Left
9C49: Mixed Air Flap motor, Right
9C4A: Fresh/Recirculation Air Flap Motor
9C4B: Defrost Flap Motor
9C4C: Footwell Flap Motor
9C4E: Front Stratification Flap Motor
9C50: Rear Stratification Flap Motor
9C52: Ventilation Flap Motor

So either (1) Connector X01198 is disconnected (perhaps NOT latched when reinserted or broken latch), or (2) the LIN BUS wire is damaged or pulled loose: Green wire shown going from Pin #1 of X01198 to the Defrost Flap Motor and then to each of the other flap motors to the right in the schematic. If that Green wire is disconnected at any point, any Flap Motor "downstream" or to the right in the schematic will NOT function, as they are wired in series.

Here is the "Connector View" from TIS showing what X01198 looks like (there may be one or two similar connectors):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...00703/CTaZemQx

I'll attach a Bentley procedure & photos of IHKA Module removal, and location of connector in question to the next post so as NOT to mess up margins here.

I can't resist commenting on Carly readouts.

It impresses me as a program thrown together with little attention to detail in an effort to sell something to try to impress the purchaser with "Faux Tech." If it produced any kind of "Report" on that "Data" or provided any other "Diagnostics" that add Facts or Helpful Information of ANY KIND, please post.

If you don't understand why I made the statements above, compare Carly code Definitions with those provided by BMW Fault Code Lookup, or with the names of the components on the TIS schematic:
http://www.bmwfault.codes/

A single example supporting the above is the wording used in the Definition of Code 9C50 "Motor ventilation Fund." That code relates to the Rear (Fond in German) Stratification or Mixing Flap Motor. They didn't even get the spelling of the German word right, let alone translate it correctly.

If you have a Windows 10 laptop, I'll be happy to show you how to install and use INPA. You will have to learn how to use Google Translate or a forum such as this to get translation of some of the technical terms which are in German, but then you're already having to do that with Carly 'cuz their Definitions need "translation."

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Bentley, 640-15; p. 868 of pdf
IHKA Control Panel Removal:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Hart23
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Bentley, 640-15; p. 868 of pdf
IHKA Control Panel Removal:
I was just a loose connection. Turns out I only had to take it apart and put it back together 8 times to get it to work....who knew lol. Thanks for your help!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
satx00
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
I was just a loose connection. Turns out I only had to take it apart and put it back together 8 times to get it to work....who knew lol. Thanks for your help!!!

First of all thank you for the post!

I had (still have) the exact same issue after I added an android screen/carplay to my car.
Earlier no air was flowing through the system, I corrected the connections and the system started working. However, now I don't get hot air through the main vents. I am getting hot air from the vents for my legs and vents that throw up towards the windshield.

For cooling, I think the AC is working fine, although not extremely cold.

Did you have to clear the error codes after you fixed the system? Any idea what else should I try?

My error codes -
9C56: Temperature sensor footwell
9C5F: Temperature sensor ventilation
9C62: Temperature sensor evaporator
9C48: Mixed air flap left (LIN)
9C49: Mixed air flap on the right (LIN)
9C4A: Fresh air / circulating air / dynamic pressure flap (LIN) Engine Backpressure
9C4B: Motor Right Foot
9C4C: Footwell flap (LIN)
Appreciate 0