E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Error after battery disconnected and forgetting time

02-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

Error after battery disconnected and forgetting time

So after my epic day of glow plug and stat replacements, I've got a problem.

When I leave the car for a while and come back to it it's forgotten the time, and it chimes with the car on a ramp yellow sign, so I reset the time and then drive the car, come back to it in a few hours and the same problem.

I've checked for errors, there was one listed for the instrument cluster, which I've cleared - something common with the battery being disconnected from what I gather.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #2
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

perhaps the battery is a bit low? can cause all sorts of gremlins. I'd get a decent charger, like the ctek ones and see if that sorts it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
coopersim
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 420d

I'm just really worried now that something is wrong, as it didn't do this before I changed the glow plugs, and the battery was disconnected at the time I did the work.

I've driven 25 miles this morning, and gone back to the car after 3 hours of it sitting, and the time is still correct and there's no errors, so it might be like you say, a bit low on juice.

Does anyone know if I have to re program the battery once it's been disconnected?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #4
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
I left something plugged into the car and the battery went completly flat for nearly a week. It cause a very long list of error codes and bongs/time reset/warnings as you describe. After being fully charged (with a charger) and codes cleared everything returned to normal.

But now 3 months later I think it has actually died and needs replacing, I don't think the two are connected though.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

not heard of reprogramming a battery, but if you get a ctek 5 http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-CTE-MXS.../dp/B004ZWV1JI it can recondition the battery. I had a few problems with only short journeys, on an old battery, during the cold weather, and this charger appears to have sorted it.

I'd try this first before worrying about anything else.
Appreciate 0