E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Front brake pad service light - can not reset

12-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

Front brake pad service light - can not reset

OK what am I doing wrong? The wire on rear brake pad sensor broke so ordered a full set of pad - car has 70k and they had never been changed. I found the trick of twisting together the ends of the sensor wire and soldering. On the rears brakes it reset normally.

Drove about 5k and then I replaced the front brakes. I must have left too much slack in the sensor wire. The front sensor wire also broke. I have tried twisting the wire together - will not reset. I had a new sensor so replaced it - still will not reset.

Hold trip reset button
scroll through menu on stalk
Service > front brakes
Hold end button BC - does not reset - - -

Any Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Try it in INPA?
      12-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
OK what am I doing wrong? The wire on rear brake pad sensor broke so ordered a full set of pad - car has 70k and they had never been changed. I found the trick of twisting together the ends of the sensor wire and soldering. On the rears brakes it reset normally.

Drove about 5k and then I replaced the front brakes. I must have left too much slack in the sensor wire. The front sensor wire also broke. I have tried twisting the wire together - will not reset. I had a new sensor so replaced it - still will not reset.

Hold trip reset button
scroll through menu on stalk
Service > front brakes
Hold end button BC - does not reset - - -

Any Suggestions?
Unplug then plug back in and go through reset procedure again.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #4
demon
Fukowee Warrior
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Msport blk on blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
Try it in INPA?
\

Good idea - Don't have INPA but do have a Foxwell NT510 that can read and reset all modules.

Since I already had a new sensor in it, tried the Foxwell first - if says erasing, but the fault comes right back.

I still have the broken wire so soldered it good and ohmed it out to verify it was closed. Put it in - same thing - says erasing but fault comes back.

Left the soldered wire in and went for a ride thinking maybe that would clear it - still has the fault.

Just wondering what would happen if I disconnected the battery. Would it clear the control module?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
peteyypab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Just a few others

Double check the connector. I recently did a brake job on an X5 with a cheapo Chinese sensor and the pins of the connector were not aligned correctly and were popping out when plugged in.
Had to fuss with it a bit but did eventually get it plugged and the light reset.