E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Adaptation clarification

12-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Adaptation clarification

Hello gents,

Regarding the adaptations that go along with CBU cleaning and replacement of a couple injectors, can anyone confirm that resetting adaptations a few times in the span of two months won't hurt anything? Not sure if it is something to generally avoid doing...

Also, can I reset them all at once or should I do them one at a time--for example, do the incremental wheel reset and then use 3 or 4 gear, accelerate from 1500 to 2500 rpm and then coast to zero 10 times. Next would be mean quantity, use 2nd gear, run up to 2000 and then coast to zero, also 10 times, etc, etc.

Thanks

Last edited by charlie fairmont; 12-28-2017 at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Edited for brevity
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
Hello gents,

Regarding the adaptations that go along with CBU cleaning and replacement of a couple injectors, can anyone confirm that resetting adaptations a few times in the span of two months won't hurt anything? Not sure if it is something to generally avoid doing...

Also, can I reset them all at once or should I do them one at a time--for example, do the incremental wheel reset and then use 3 or 4 gear, accelerate from 1500 to 2500 rpm and then coast to zero 10 times. Next would be mean quantity, use 2nd gear, run up to 2000 and then coast to zero, also 10 times, etc, etc.

Thanks
The incremental wheel adaptation has nothing to do with your transmission adaptations. You only need to perform the learn in drive when you clear the adaptations of the EGS. You can reset the increment wheel adaptations as often as you want but really only need it once after CBU cleaning. Why are trying to do it multiple times? What are the issues you are seeing?
After replacing injectors, those have to be coded in to the DDE. There's a number on each injector that has to be entered in ISTA-D.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the back story. In early November I had a CBU cleaning performed by a reputable shop. They also replaced two injectors. With the benefit of hindsight I don't think the injectors needed to be replaced but that is neither here nor there since what's done is done.

The short version of what followed is that they did not reset any adaptations, the SES for smooth running came back a few times during my 6 hour trip home and each time, I cleared it with Carly so I wouldn't have a bright yellow light staring at me. Once home, I hooked up ista and reset the adaptations.

Since getting home, the engine has begun to sound progressively more "diesely" and I'm now hearing a slight tick but only under load. I assume the tick is an injector but the threads that pop up when searching for "ticking" have videos that are no longer active so I can't compare my noise to theirs. There are also no codes in ista and the injector test says everything is fine. I am asking about redoing the reset a second time with the hope that since I did them all at once the first time, i may not have reset them properly and that could be causing my current issues. Thanks for chiming in. Hopefully what I've added makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

You can reset adaptations similtaneously. At least there is nothing that I’ve seen in the bmw literature that says you need to do sequentially. For the zero quantity adaptation you need to do perform a learn in drive procedure.
Appreciate 1
Mrdeezy54.50
      12-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 335D 2006, F30 335i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
You can reset adaptations similtaneously. At least there is nothing that I’ve seen in the bmw literature that says you need to do sequentially. For the zero quantity adaptation you need to do perform a learn in drive procedure.
Could you point to a document or thread about this procedure?

What "happens" if you just drive your normal way after this reset?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Nevermind, found a solid article about it: https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-rese...daptations-zf6

I wonder how much difference this makes, they seem to be very strict about it in this article but i think its very ignored by most ppl who reset their adaptations

Edit: but this is transmission adaptations.. Is there different procedure after mean quantitty reset?

Edit edit: And i think im confusing zero quantity and mean quantity.. The zero quantity cant even be reset in ISTA, correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #7
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceQuadre View Post
Could you point to a document or thread about this procedure?

What "happens" if you just drive your normal way after this reset?
I can't seem to attach PDFs but the docs I've been looking at are the 119page advanced diesel technology document (see pages 61 and 62) and this guy (here is a screenshot): . It's interesting to me that the second document mentions a "running-in" period of 1500km that is not mentioned in the advanced diesel doc. I don't know the exact mileage I started to hear the tick but I keep all my gas receipts and note the mileage on each so I will be able to get close. I definitely didn't perform the drive-in procedure after 1500km. This may be a non-issue since I only hear the tick under load, not under overrun. More fiddling to come...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
nicklockard
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 w/Nav; paddleshifters

Charlie, have you checked the two replaced injectors' seating? Unseated injectors is the most common source of ticking under load for a diesel. It often occurs along with or shortly after injector servicing--Someone doesn't tighten down clamps enough or use the correct size/type of washers.

Mods: *ATM 304SS Turbo-back exhaust, w/ ox-cat *ATM stepped intercooler *ATM silicone tubing kits (hot & cold sides) JR 2.8 tune *Whitbread CP3R90 HPFP *AArod EGR racepipe*Execuhitch hidden hitch *Stage 3 transmission tune
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #9
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep

Very interesting. Thanks for that, I will check the tightness.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

I had a ticking issue, which I incorrectly diagnosed as hpfp. Another member posted a thread about metallic ticking noise, which was similar to what I was experiencing. It ended up being one of my Injectors.

They’re easy to DIY but you’ll need inpa to program the calibration number to the dde.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Here's the instruction on how to store the "injector characteristic map adjustment value" in your DDE with ISTA.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf injector characteristic map adjustment.pdf (198.9 KB, 565 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 02:23 AM   #12
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

I actually have ticking under load as well. Happens in lower rpms under high load and disappears as rpms rise. Thought it was normal injector noise, is it not? Im also dealing with a bit of a rough feel during acceleration.
How would one check if the injectors are seated properly? I had mine out maybe 1 year ago.
They are coded in properly i checked that
Appreciate 0