E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Log Requests

09-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #89
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Are you looking at the sensor value from IAT in the MAF? Or the CACT sensor value?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 02:02 AM   #90
pheno
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: E61 520d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
Are you looking at the sensor value from IAT in the MAF? Or the CACT sensor value?
I'm looking at CACT sensor which measures temperature after cooler.

The raw result is: STAT_LADELUFTTEMPERATUR_WERT and original german text: "Ladelufttemperatur nach Ladeluftkühler". I've translated it as 'charge air temperature'

P.S. This screen shows a new feature of TestO (not released yet where it shows also units for each _WERT result. It gets them from _EINH value.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #91
victorhall
Rep
Drives:

SOLVED!
I found the reason for setting off the 429A code: Exhaust blockage. The stock SCR was still in place and was causing enough backpressure to not allow the LP (big) turbo to fully spool up.

That's the good news, and hopefully that will help someone down the line that might throw a 429A code. The solution was to replace the pipe. I ended up going with the Unobtainium DPF and SCR pipes. Coincidentally, I have a spare DPF-delete-pipe for sale.

The bad news is that, while I was in there, I inspected the LP turbine and it did not spin 100% freely. It would bind slightly, and occasionally, which makes me think the bearings could be on their way out. Nothing terrible feeling, but enough to be noticeable. After installing the new pipe, I went for a test run and got the attached data. It shows a couple of hiccups when the LP turbo comes on, which seems to back up my theory that it's on its way out. Again, this is all with stock software, and I'm throwing codes galore, but I've kept it in this configuration to get it running right before getting the coding to match. Happy to be told I'm wrong (especially if it means that I don't have to replace the turbo).

And pheno - thanks for the info on the parameters!!
-Vic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:37 AM   #92
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheno View Post
I'm looking at CACT sensor which measures temperature after cooler.

The raw result is: STAT_LADELUFTTEMPERATUR_WERT and original german text: "Ladelufttemperatur nach Ladeluftkühler". I've translated it as 'charge air temperature'

P.S. This screen shows a new feature of TestO (not released yet where it shows also units for each _WERT result. It gets them from _EINH value.
Pheno, here is my graph. You can see the time scale on this one too. Same sensor parameter as you are looking at. Sorry it took me a bit to sift through the logs. If you need a fresh reading or anything specific to log against, please let us know.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 436
Size:  125.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:40 AM   #93
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

victorhall, that is one long hiccup on the transition. Also, curious about your boost setpoint, seems constant. Strange. Have you reset all the relevant adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 01:17 AM   #94
pheno
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Yozh, thanks!

It looks like my sensor is toast as your sensor is much more sensitive and the range of the values is broader. Mine still gives reasonable values not to trigger CEL.

Last edited by pheno; 09-15-2017 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:20 AM   #95
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Pheno, you could try pulling the IAT sensor out and using a hair dryer or heat gun to blow at the sensor while logging the parameter and seeing if it tracks and gives reasonable values with the application of heat. I did that (ignifition on, but engine not running) on my original IAT sensor when it was starting to give odd and intermittent behavior patterns and compared it with a new sensor.
The old sensor was obviously bad in that comparison.
      09-14-2017, 07:24 AM   #96
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhall View Post
The bad news is that, while I was in there, I inspected the LP turbine and it did not spin 100% freely. It would bind slightly, and occasionally, which makes me think the bearings could be on their way out. ...
Glad to hear you're making progress.

I'd be concerned about the health of your LP turbo based on this description. If you're going to change turbo's, and planning on tuning the DDE anyway ... no reason not to go hybrid for replacement.
      09-15-2017, 06:09 AM   #97
pheno
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Pheno, you could try pulling the IAT sensor out and using a hair dryer or heat gun to blow at the sensor while logging the parameter and seeing if it tracks and gives reasonable values with the application of heat. I did that (ignifition on, but engine not running) on my original IAT sensor when it was starting to give odd and intermittent behavior patterns and compared it with a new sensor.
The old sensor was obviously bad in that comparison.
Just changed part #7 in the previous picture and now temperature values look normal and change is immediate for example during acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #98
victorhall
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Turbo bypass output duty = IALDS
Compressor Bypass Position Status = CByVlv_st

The above two work perfectly.
The wastegate I only found: ExhFlpLP_rPs
It gives me data but I have not tested it enough to be 100% sure.

Pheno, while I got you here. Sometimes my TestO crashes. It happens when I try to do playback of a custom job with more than 10 parameters. Is it the reason. My TestO version is of Jul 2016 standalone.

Thank you.
I did a test run with the ExhFlpLP_rPs parameter, but don't think it was reading Wastegate flap position. Stayed around a value around 10-ish. Will keep digging!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #99
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: E92 335D 2006, F30 335i 2014

So i finally got myself Test0 as well and tried some first setting up and logging my way to work as well as some pulls.

Its been some time now that iv been dealing with lack of smoothness and irritant power delivery especially in lower rpms, but at this point im not even sure if its not just in my head.

Anyway this is a 3rd gear pull, rpms on the X axis. I have no idea if the boost increase is fine with the lag behind the target value as well as the overboost later during higher rpms?

But what i dont understand is the Air mass so high over the target value?

Egr showed closed value during pull, rail pressure was spot on with the target value.

In the second picture you can see as yelow line the turbine switchover in work, starting to engage LP turbo from around 1800rpms and then opening fully at 2900rpms, which is also the point where the compressor bypass opened as shown by different parameter not included in the graph.

I would really like to see the work of wastegate but i understand nobody found working parameter for it yet?

What do you think about the air mass? And other parameters that could provide the answer?

Also thanks for this thread, its great stuff.

Parameters used:

EU 2006 car
DDE 6.2

Air mass per cyl - STAT_LUFTMASSE_PRO_HUB_WERT
Air mass target - STAT_LUFTMASSE_SOLL_WERT
Boost - STAT_LADEDRUCK_WERT
Boost target - STAT_LADEDRUCK_SOLL_WERT
rpm - STAT_MOTORDREHZAHL_WERT
pedal - STAT_FAHRERWUNSCH_PEDAL_WERT
compressor bypass - STAT_CBACD_StLogicOut_mp_WERT
Turbine switchover - STAT_LADEDRUCKSTELLER_ANSTEUERUNG_WERT

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #100
victorhall
Rep
Drives:

Nothing jumps out at me that might cause hesitation, but I'm far from an expert, and have just gotten mine sorted out. Boost looks healthy. Were you wide open throttle (WOT) for the first graph? In the second one, it looks like you eased into WOT. Also, is this a stock motor with stock DDE?
-Vic
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #101
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Nothing jumps out at me that might cause hesitation, but I'm far from an expert, and have just gotten mine sorted out. Boost looks healthy. Were you wide open throttle (WOT) for the first graph? In the second one, it looks like you eased into WOT. Also, is this a stock motor with stock DDE?
-Vic
its dpf gutted with a tune.
itts both the same pull, yes i eased into WOT a little bit, im hesitant to full pedal instantly at 1500rpms with manual 3rd gear.. seems wrong, can i do that?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #102
victorhall
Rep
Drives:

You can definitely do that In fact, you want to do that to keep the variance out of your testing. Make as much repeatable as possible.

I'll have to make a run logging air mass to compare!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #103
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
You can definitely do that In fact, you want to do that to keep the variance out of your testing. Make as much repeatable as possible.

I'll have to make a run logging air mass to compare!
Thanks that would be great=)

Ill try to get more data.. The car has good days and bad days and the difference in smoothness is big. Im honestly not sure how to proceed as im hesitant to spend more money without proper diag
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #104
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Anyone know of the specific parameters to log in TestO to look at the injector health?
Please and Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 05:42 AM   #105
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Im not sure anyone can answer that but ill ask anyway..

I understand the target and actual values when it comes to lets say boost.

My question is when we look at the values that are vacuum controlled, such as turbine control switch or wastegate or in eu egr, is it safe to assume those are just "target" or "requested values" ?

I would assume they are, since how do you measure that the turbine control is actually moving?

Example: in a scenario where boost starts to build only when the turbine control switch "value" shows it started bleeding more pressure to low pressure turbo (big turbo), do we assume that the small turbo simply isnt working properly? Or do we assume the turbine control valve was opened to begin with and the "value" we see when logging showed it closed because thats a requested value.

I hope it makes sense
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 12:16 AM   #106
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Actual values. But you can’t freely deduct that HP turbo is kaput just by looking at turbo switchover for example. Itva combination of things one has to look and deduct from.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 02:02 AM   #107
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Actual values. But you can’t freely deduct that HP turbo is kaput just by looking at turbo switchover for example. Itva combination of things one has to look and deduct from.
Well thats what i initialy thought, but.. Iv disconnected vacuum controlled egr(disconnected vacuum line from the pressure solenoid to the valve) on 2 cars now (mine and one e46) and when logging both the egr duty cycle still shows egr opening and closing on both cars..

That and also me starting wondering how would the actual movements be measured(do we know how?) by the dde both lead me to think these values are "target" values.. might be wrong of course thats why i ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #108
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

You are right. Things that are vacuum controlled, the parameter is just a feed value to a controller. Sorry I was thinking of Boost. What would be useful for you to look at is EMP vs Boost.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #109
JuiceQuadre
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
You are right. Things that are vacuum controlled, the parameter is just a feed value to a controller. Sorry I was thinking of Boost. What would be useful for you to look at is EMP vs Boost.
Will try, thanks.
Appreciate 0