E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 002A38 Fault Code - Valvetronic motor

08-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
JWT4700
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Xdrive sedan

002A38 Fault Code - Valvetronic motor

Got a check engine light/limp mode a couple days ago while sitting in the parking lot, CCID-29 which appears to be limp mode, but the car ran fine home, hasn't came back on yet. Pulled the codes with ISTA and code a valvetronic code. Should I thrown a new valvetronic motor on it or dig a little deeper first?
I do hear a rattle which I thought was cam chain tensioner but turns out it's not, could the valvetronic motor make a rattle noise?
Attached Images

08-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I just got this code on a newly acquired 330i, but I had starting issues and rough running once started. One time I got it started but it was running rough, I took it for a short drive down the street and I heard the rattle when accelerating. I quickly returned home and turned it off. Picked up a Valvetronic motor from a junkyard for $40 to rule that out, but with the replacement motor swapped I had the same exact error code and no start or poor running.

It turned out it was my eccentric shaft sensor that failed. I replaced it, and the car starts and drives great now.

Remove the engine cover and remove the eccentric shaft sensor connector. If you can see oil in it, the sensor is likely fouled and should be replaced. Sadly this requires removal of the valve cover, in which case you might as well replace the valve cover gasket (along with the eccentric shaft sensor gasket and valvetronic motor gasket). If the sensor connector has oil around the pins and it's not causing starting issues or rough idle yet, it'll happen soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT4700 View Post
Got a check engine light/limp mode a couple days ago while sitting in the parking lot, CCID-29 which appears to be limp mode, but the car ran fine home, hasn't came back on yet. Pulled the codes with ISTA and code a valvetronic code. Should I thrown a new valvetronic motor on it or dig a little deeper first? I do hear a rattle which I thought was cam chain tensioner but turns out it's not, could the valvetronic motor make a rattle noise?
Mechanic's Stethoscope is excellent for locating the source of unusual engine noises -- just don't get it caught in Serpentine Belt or E-Fan.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html

Either ISTA or INPA will give you a LOT more information on your 2A38 code than that definition. If you haven't cleared the code yet, just Double-click the "2A38" row and you will get a screen that shows Details & Description Tabs where you can at least get Freeze Frame Data showing engine/system conditions at the moment the Fault Code was saved. Any Voltage readouts are particularly pertinent.

INPA would give you similar information if you select DME > F4 > F1 > F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data. The Data provided by that INPA page is as good or better than ISTA, but it is mostly in German so you would need to translate (Google Translate).

ISTA also provides "directed diagnosis" which INPA does NOT. If you highlight one of the two Fault Code lines shown on your Vehicle Management > Troubleshooting > Fault Memory screen, and then Click "Calculate test plan" button in Lower-Right corner of screen (NOT shown in your photo ;-) that will provide suggested additional diagnostic tests you can do.

ALSO, if you have changed your Dexron VI Transmission Fluid & Filter, you can Reset the Fluid Wear Counter using ISTA, and clear the 578E Fluid Wear Fault Code with either INPA or ISTA. It's a little curious that BOTH codes were saved at the SAME 213,680 km / 132,775 Mile Odometer reading. While 132,000 to 133,000 miles is where the EGS Oil Wear fault normally occurs, my SWAG is that the 2A38 code MAY have been an electrical "hiccup" (Note the definition includes the possibility of "Open Circuit").

I would suggest reading & SAVING (SaveAs jpg file in folder of choice) ALL the 2A38 Fault Description & Details, and then clearing the fault, to see if it returns.

Finally, since you have X-Drive, when the EGS Oil Wear Fault is saved, the VGSG (Transfer Case) Fluid Wear code, 54C6 is likely to be saved most any day. Change Transfer Case Fluid at the SAME time as Transmission Fluid & Filter. Both EGS & VGSG Oil Wear Faults are Mileage/counter triggered, and NOT based upon any Oil Condition Sensor/Test. If any question about Procedure, tools, etc., let us know.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I just got this code on a newly acquired 330i, but I had starting issues and rough running once started. One time I got it started but it was running rough, I took it for a short drive down the street and I heard the rattle when accelerating. I quickly returned home and turned it off. Picked up a Valvetronic motor from a junkyard for $40 to rule that out, but with the replacement motor swapped I had the same exact error code and no start or poor running.

It turned out it was my eccentric shaft sensor that failed. I replaced it, and the car starts and drives great now.

Remove the engine cover and remove the eccentric shaft sensor connector. If you can see oil in it, the sensor is likely fouled and should be replaced. Sadly this requires removal of the valve cover, in which case you might as well replace the valve cover gasket (along with the eccentric shaft sensor gasket and valvetronic motor gasket). If the sensor connector has oil around the pins and it's not causing starting issues or rough idle yet, it'll happen soon enough.
being the fault mentioned open circuit, i did check the connector and it was spotless! rather surprising but not so much as a spec of dirt.
      08-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Mechanic's Stethoscope is excellent for locating the source of unusual engine noises -- just don't get it caught in Serpentine Belt or E-Fan.
https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63691.html

Either ISTA or INPA will give you a LOT more information on your 2A38 code than that definition. If you haven't cleared the code yet, just Double-click the "2A38" row and you will get a screen that shows Details & Description Tabs where you can at least get Freeze Frame Data showing engine/system conditions at the moment the Fault Code was saved. Any Voltage readouts are particularly pertinent.

INPA would give you similar information if you select DME > F4 > F1 > F3 Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data. The Data provided by that INPA page is as good or better than ISTA, but it is mostly in German so you would need to translate (Google Translate).

ISTA also provides "directed diagnosis" which INPA does NOT. If you highlight one of the two Fault Code lines shown on your Vehicle Management > Troubleshooting > Fault Memory screen, and then Click "Calculate test plan" button in Lower-Right corner of screen (NOT shown in your photo ;-) that will provide suggested additional diagnostic tests you can do.

ALSO, if you have changed your Dexron VI Transmission Fluid & Filter, you can Reset the Fluid Wear Counter using ISTA, and clear the 578E Fluid Wear Fault Code with either INPA or ISTA. It's a little curious that BOTH codes were saved at the SAME 213,680 km / 132,775 Mile Odometer reading. While 132,000 to 133,000 miles is where the EGS Oil Wear fault normally occurs, my SWAG is that the 2A38 code MAY have been an electrical "hiccup" (Note the definition includes the possibility of "Open Circuit").

I would suggest reading & SAVING (SaveAs jpg file in folder of choice) ALL the 2A38 Fault Description & Details, and then clearing the fault, to see if it returns.

Finally, since you have X-Drive, when the EGS Oil Wear Fault is saved, the VGSG (Transfer Case) Fluid Wear code, 54C6 is likely to be saved most any day. Change Transfer Case Fluid at the SAME time as Transmission Fluid & Filter. Both EGS & VGSG Oil Wear Faults are Mileage/counter triggered, and NOT based upon any Oil Condition Sensor/Test. If any question about Procedure, tools, etc., let us know.

George

im going to pick up a stethoscope for sure, been saying that for a while lol. i did try the old screw driver trick (using a screw driver in place of a stethoscope - putting your ear to the handle - it didnt work that well haha.

i did the cam chain tensioner and starter ground strap, and about halfway thru it started to sprinkle and was able to hurry and get everything back together before it rained so i didnt have much time with ISTA. our e46 was at the shop so i had to get this one back together for work in the morning. i swapped the cars out yesterday and its currently in the shop probably until monday (getting both inspected) i told my shop about the issue to get his opinion as well.

As for the ista codes, i had 10 codes pop up - picture attached - the mass air codes popped up once before, i believe its a vac leak. i had cleared the codes and nothing came back, i unplugged the valvetronic motor and that same code came back, so i believe its probably the motor. again with running out of time i wasnt able to calculate the test plan, but i will do so again when i get the car back. my biggest concern is the "chain rattle" noise i keep hearing. would the valvetronic motor produce such a noise if its going bad? what would happen if that motor does go bad? catastrophic failure? i tried to take a vid of the noise its not the greatest but i shall attempt to upload it for you guys to listen to. while driving it sounds like a chain, but perhaps it is the valvetronic motor.

on the gear box oil, i havent reset it yet, all though i do believe it was changed. i went back to look at maintenance files and for some reason that one is missing (may have got misplaced in the filing cabinet) i had the bmw dealer fix the transmission - no reverse, it was a solenoid which im 95% sure they did the filter/fluid change since they had to drop the pan. if i cant find the paperwork ill have to call and see if they can look it up. aside from that im going to leave that on there until i do actually change it or confirm it was changed. good to know about the other one will be coming on soon too. gear oil changes are on the to-do list as soon as everything else is fixed.

looks like the dme mixture codes where set at the same time the valvetronic was set.

Attached Images

09-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
JWT4700
Private
Rep

I pulled the codes again today, had the same thing happen again Tuesday, light came on (check engine limp mode ccid-29) it never went into a limp mode that I know of, still drove fine although my wife noted delayed/hard shifts she thought. Anyway I tried running the test plan but ran into some problems

What exactly is it saying? Just need to update software? Was there a recall on the valvetronic?
If it's updating the software can I do that with ISTA+ and the kdcan cable?
Attached Images

09-04-2020, 12:51 AM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I pulled the codes again today... Anyway I tried running the test plan but ran into some problems; What exactly is it saying? Just need to update software? Was there a recall on the valvetronic?
If it's updating the software can I do that with ISTA+ and the kdcan cable?
There's a LOT of data related to each of those codes that can be read using either ISTA or INPA. Much more than just the Fault Code Numbers and a very vague Fault Code DEFINITION, such as "Mixture Control".

Since ALL 5 of the serious Fault Codes were saved at the SAME Odometer km reading (214056), and the Catalyst Faults are ONLY set once the O2 Sensors have entered CL (Closed Loop) operation and vehicle speed > 28 kph (18 MPH), with engine RPM 1500 - 3000, my SWAG is that there is a mixture control issue with BOTH Banks (as reflected by the 29E0/29E1 Codes) that is causing the two Cat efficiency reduced faults. Don't see how the VVT Actuator Fault is related, but the mixture issue may be confusing the DME and preventing proper VVT Actuator Control.

As suggested in an earlier post, DOUBLE-CLICK on each fault line (29E0 for starters) and read/SAVE the "Details" when clicking the "Details Tab, and if clicking on the "Description" Tab, save those results as well. I have just started using ISTA, so don't know for sure if it gives you a Fault Definition AND a corresponding P-code for an ambigous code like 29E0.

The problem is that 29E0 can mean EITHER Bank 1 mixture too RICH, or too LEAN. If it is too RICH, the corresponding P-code is P0172. If mixture is too LEAN, the P-code is P0171. INPA will show the P-code which is SPECIFIC (Lean or Rich), AND INPA will give you the DEFINITION as either too Lean (Mager) or Rich (Fett). I would certainly expect ISTA to give a specific definition in a similar fashion.

If you can't get ISTA to give you the details, close ISTA, Open INPA, connect to Engine > MSV80 DME, and then at the DME Main Menu, select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) > F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen) > F3 Fault Memory with (mit) Freeze Frame. Either way you get the "Details", do a ScreenPrint (Shft+PrtSc), Paste (Ctrl+V) the image saved that way to "Paint" (Windows Photo Editor Accessory), and SaveAs a jpg file in folder of your choice for future reference or to attach here for evaluation by others (or to educate us ;-)

You mentioned in previous post doing something about a chain tensioner? I presume you had the VC (Valve Cover) removed to do that? If the Bank1 & Bank2 "Mixture" codes are TOO LEAN (P0171 & P0174), and you recently removed the VC, it is likely there is a broken/cracked hose from the VC to the Intake Manifold which is causing a "Vacuum Leak", admitting "UN-metered" air (NOT measured by the MAF) to the engine. THAT could cause ALL/Most of the 5 codes.

You mentioned you "had some problems" when attempting to run the ISTA Test Plan. Did you highlight/select ONE of the Fault Code lines on the Fault Memory Display, and then click the Calculate test plan button in the bottom right corner of the screen? If you will list the steps taken & WHERE the wheels came off, someone can assist (assuming we have members using ISTA ;-)

I don't have any plans to "Flash" any modules any time soon, and know NOTHING about it. I would say that ISTA+, or ISTA-D will NOT Flash/Program any modules in E9x models according to the ISTA User Manual, page 17 of pdf, which indicates that although F, G & I Series vehicles MAY be programmed by ISTA+, E-Series Vehicles still have to be "handled using ISTA/P.

My SWAG is that if your vehicle has gone over 100,000 miles with the original Software/programming, the "updated program" may NOT be relevant to your situation. However, the language about "Warranty/Goodwill Claim" suggests that your nearest Dealer should be consulted about that, particularly given you have the N51 Engine with extended Warranty up to 150,000 miles, at least in some states, for SOME faults.

Please Read/Save/Post the Fault DETAILS (where the Devil is ;-)

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 09-04-2020 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
JWT4700
Private
Rep

thanks George for the repsonse, ill asnwer and respond to each of your questions below. on a side note i got a new VVT motor from FCP euro that arrived yesterday which im going to replace now. as im sure you know the VVT needs to have the set points re-learned. ive done it before using the mechanical method, which i recall being something along installing then cycling the ignition 3 times, id have to look it up to be sure but it was something like that. ive read some people have no issues doing it that way but i have heard its not recommended and to go about it via ISTA, which ill have to look up as well. would you happen to know how to re-learn the VVT thru ISTA?

Quote:
As suggested in an earlier post, DOUBLE-CLICK on each fault line (29E0 for starters) and read/SAVE the "Details" when clicking the "Details Tab, and if clicking on the "Description" Tab, save those results as well. I have just started using ISTA, so don't know for sure if it gives you a Fault Definition AND a corresponding P-code for an ambigous code like 29E0.
the last pic i uploaded which mentions the goodwill/software IS the test plan. after clicking test plan and clicking on the VVT code, that was step one, the nest step was close and continue in test plan with other codes. i did not try any other codes (i wish i would have and i know i should have) because the last time i i had the BSD related codes, ISTA woulndt allow you to diagnose any further on those until the prior code was not presesnt. so i assumed this wouldnt be any different. i was actually thinking the reverse process of you - i was thinking the faulty VVT was causing the other mixture codes by not being able to correctly actuate the timing, where it seems you have the opposite thought where there is an issue causing poor mixture which is then throwing off the VVT.

Quote:
The problem is that 29E0 can mean EITHER Bank 1 mixture too RICH, or too LEAN. If it is too RICH, the corresponding P-code is P0172. If mixture is too LEAN, the P-code is P0171. INPA will show the P-code which is SPECIFIC (Lean or Rich), AND INPA will give you the DEFINITION as either too Lean (Mager) or Rich (Fett). I would certainly expect ISTA to give a specific definition in a similar fashion.

If you can't get ISTA to give you the details, close ISTA, Open INPA, connect to Engine > MSV80 DME, and then at the DME Main Menu, select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher) > F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen) > F3 Fault Memory with (mit) Freeze Frame. Either way you get the "Details", do a ScreenPrint (Shft+PrtSc), Paste (Ctrl+V) the image saved that way to "Paint" (Windows Photo Editor Accessory), and SaveAs a jpg file in folder of your choice for future reference or to attach here for evaluation by others (or to educate us ;-)
im pretty sure i cleared the codes, ill check now and see, if the codes are still there ill check the Pcodes and INPA to see what i can find and post results, but im pretty sure i cleared them

Quote:
You mentioned in previous post doing something about a chain tensioner? I presume you had the VC (Valve Cover) removed to do that? If the Bank1 & Bank2 "Mixture" codes are TOO LEAN (P0171 & P0174), and you recently removed the VC, it is likely there is a broken/cracked hose from the VC to the Intake Manifold which is causing a "Vacuum Leak", admitting "UN-metered" air (NOT measured by the MAF) to the engine. THAT could cause ALL/Most of the 5 codes.
yes ive been having a "chain rattle" noise which i thought was the fact that the sprocket bolt on my vacuum pump was broken allowing chain play. the noise still exists. i then replaced the cam chain tensioner thinking it would be that chain rather than the oil pump/vac pump chain. still have the noise. i saw some posts (i believe its the S55 motor?) that people where hearing a clicking noise with engine off and it was their VVT motor. (https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1429746) such as this link. so i thought maybe my rattle noise might be the VVT motor. now i have the VVT fault code, which makes me think its the VVT itself. the noise is very odd and follows no pattern other than its typcially (but not always) at 2200-3000 rpm, usually when it shifts up/down and has a suddon rpm change. the noise only lasts for about a second or two at most. it doesnt do it on a slow rev up, only if it blip the throttle real quick. again this make me think the VVT is failing and not being able to respond fast enough.
as for vacuum leaks, i do get a mass air code once in a while, so i do have a small vac leak somewhere, all the connections realted to the intake/VC are good, the big vac hose in the back is new. ive only gotton that code i think twice and it only shows up under extremely hard driving (such as IF i were to pass several cars at WOT and 100mph lol) but generally doesnt show up other wise.

Quote:
You mentioned you "had some problems" when attempting to run the ISTA Test Plan. Did you highlight/select ONE of the Fault Code lines on the Fault Memory Display, and then click the Calculate test plan button in the bottom right corner of the screen? If you will list the steps taken & WHERE the wheels came off, someone can assist (assuming we have members using ISTA ;-)
mentioned above - the only thing in the test plan is the goodwill/software pic above which the only option following that screen is to end test module and continue in the test plan with other codes.

Quote:
I don't have any plans to "Flash" any modules any time soon, and know NOTHING about it. I would say that ISTA+, or ISTA-D will NOT Flash/Program any modules in E9x models according to the ISTA User Manual, page 17 of pdf, which indicates that although F, G & I Series vehicles MAY be programmed by ISTA+, E-Series Vehicles still have to be "handled using ISTA/P.

My SWAG is that if your vehicle has gone over 100,000 miles with the original Software/programming, the "updated program" may NOT be relevant to your situation. However, the language about "Warranty/Goodwill Claim" suggests that your nearest Dealer should be consulted about that, particularly given you have the N51 Engine with extended Warranty up to 150,000 miles, at least in some states, for SOME faults.

Please Read/Save/Post the Fault DETAILS (where the Devil is ;-)

George
from what i looked up the KDcan cable is pre-E90 but includes E90 diagnostics. the icom is E90 for programming and post-90 for everything else. E90 must have been the change point for KDcan/Icom.
im not sure if the BMW dealer would check/update the software when ever they have the car in for service, but the last time it was at the dealer was
09/17/2018 @ 114,397mi for a state inspection and 4wheel alignment, the paperwork does say "36BMZA0001 Multi Point Inspection" and "36BMZASCOPE Stand Scope - Perform Standard Scope Maintenance due per key read - completed"
maybe someone here is familiar with BMW service and can tell weather or not that might include software checks /updates? aside from that i havent went to the dealer, they are an hour away so its hard to get there unless i take the day off work.
just for reference, this particular engine i have in the car now was put in on 7/10/19 @ 122,692mi by my indy shop who got it from a salvage yard which i believe came from a 2011 car with 60k miles. the car currently has almost 133k, im guessing that maybe this engine sat for a couple years in a salvage yard, the vacuum pump self destructed in a manner i cant comprehend...so maybe some of the other parts are well have gone bad from sitting?
going back to software, should i call the dealer and inquire about software update? should i tell them the code i have in ista related to this problem? (on a side note - is ISTA technically available to the public or would they frown on knowing i have a copy of BMW dealer software?

i shall head out now and fire up ISTA and see what i can find and probably swap out the VVT as i wait for your knowledgeable reply lol thanks george!

09-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
JWT4700
Private
Rep

New valvetronic motor, re-learn limits with ISTA, STILL have this rattling/tapping noise!!!! I pulled the serpentine belt off to rule out any pulley bearing noises. I did notice one of the vanos solenoids has a crack in it (see pic). Wonder if that might be an issue? I'd think I'd get a vanos code rather than a valvetronic code if that were the case tho??
Attached Images

09-05-2020, 07:09 PM   #10
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

After replacing the valveteonic motor, are you still getting the fault codes?

Can you use INPA and test your eccentric shaft sensor? I initially didn't have any eccentric shaft sensor codes but had the valveteonic sluggish movement code and valveteonic thermal protection code. I also had the same mixture codes. I swapped the valvetronic motor with another I got at the junkyard for $20 and it made no difference. At one point during my testing my car was idling rough and on a drive I heard a bad rattle at 2000+ RPMs that sounded like a rattling timing chain. No idea what it was but after replacing the eccentric shaft sensor the engine runs fine and I have no more rattle or other odd noises.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:

Can you use INPA and test your eccentric shaft sensor? I initially didn't have any eccentric shaft sensor codes but had the valveteonic sluggish movement code and valveteonic thermal protection code. I also had the same mixture codes. I swapped the valvetronic motor with another I got at the junkyard for $20 and it made no difference. At one point during my testing my car was idling rough and on a drive I heard a bad rattle at 2000+ RPMs that sounded like a rattling timing chain. No idea what it was but after replacing the eccentric shaft sensor the engine runs fine and I have no more rattle or other odd noises.

replaced the Valvetronic motor, re-learned limits via ISTA and still have the rattle. today on the way home the fault code came back up and again showed the Check Engine light (not the service engine light). i have ordered the eccentric shaft sensor today.
i do have a weird idle, no so much a "bad" idle, but not a perfect idle. basically idles "ok" but when you put it in reverse to back out of the drive way it surges pretty bad. at first i did think it was chain rattle, but it seems to be a steady noise (not so much as a chain where the rattle would change with engine speed when the chain would be going faster/slower)

how would i test the sensor with INPA? im not very good with inpa as most of it is in german lol.

thanks!
      09-09-2020, 02:14 AM   #12
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
replaced the Valvetronic motor, re-learned limits via ISTA... today on the way home the fault code came back up and again showed the Check Engine light (not the service engine light) [half-engine light & CC-ID 29 as before I presume?]
i do have a weird idle, no so much a "bad" idle, but not a perfect idle. basically idles "ok" but when you put it in reverse to back out of the drive way it surges pretty bad... how would i test the sensor with INPA? im not very good with inpa as most of it is in german lol. [Forget the German, just look at the pretty bar graphs and read the Numbers. ]
Perhaps we're looking at/barking up the WRONG TREE??

I've forgotten if the vehicle is "new-to-you" or if you know its prior history? Has there been water in the Driver footwell?
Has it sat unused for months?
Do you have ANY other DME Codes, other than 2A38?
When the "Half-engine"/Limp Mode light comes on, can you still accelerate normally?
Have you read Freeze Frame Data or Fault DETAILS by Double-clicking the 2A38 Fault Code row in the Fault Memory Display (ISTA)?
Double-click 2A38 and then click "Details" Tab. Attach Screenprint of the 2A38 Fault Details screen.

If the 2A38 Fault is ALWAYS set when RPM (shown in Fault Details) is in excess of idle speed (OFF Idle), then it is possible that you have the beginning of a fault in the Accelerator Pedal Module which is sending an Intermittent bogus signal to the DME, which causes the "surge" you are experiencing in Reverse.

I can provide examples of several INPA Screens (some of them Translated to English) that you can view to assess (1) Accelerator Pedal Module Signals, (2) Eccentric Shaft Sensor Signals, or (3) VANOS Solenoid & Cam Position Sensor Feedback/Signals.

Generally, you use INPA "F5 Status" screens with Engine OFF but Ignition On, to assess (1) & (2), and use INPA "F6 Activations" to view VANOS Solenoid and Cam Sensor signals to DME, WITHOUT Activating or "Over-riding" DME control, just OBSERVING as the engine is running. As long as you understand what you are trying to observe, or read via INPA Screen, as far as signals received by the DME from the various sensors, you can't mess anything up.

Attached are some example screens from my 328xi E91 that show:

1) Raw Pedal Sensor voltage from each of two sensors in pedal module; with ENGINE OFF, you move pedal slowly and look to see that two sensors have smooth, relational voltage changes, with Sensor 1 being ~ twice the signal voltage as Sensor 2. The Menu sequence to view that Screen is INPA > DME MSV80 > F5 Status > F2 Analog > F4 ADC Measured Values (signal Voltage). The attached screen was with Engine OFF and pedal nearly floored.

2) Idle Pedal Position is shown in second attached screen, with Voltages of ~ .68V (Sensor 1), and .34V (2). The two top bar graphs are Voltage Supply to the two sensors, "Nominal 5.0V" and actual of 4.98V, which does NOT change with pedal position.

3) Third INPA Screen attached shows "Measured Values, Group 6". The Menu Sequence to view that screen: INPA > F5 > F2 > F6. All Parameter Labels are translated to English. Screen as shown is with Engine ON, at Idle speed. NOTE the SIXTH bar graph from top in SECOND Column: "VVT-Eccentric Shaft Actual Value". That is the the ESS signal in Degrees, showing 23.86 degrees position at idle on mine (Idle set to 660 RPM). Also Note TOP line in that column. That is Accelerator Pedal Value in % of fully pressed position. When pedal is ON IDLE, that reading should be "0%" as shown, and if you press the accelerator pedal, that % increases. Just don't do anything silly with engine running and you're OK.

Let us know what you find, and we can suggest other screens/tests. Since I just installed ISTA, I'll try to figure out if ISTA can provide similar data, and how to access it. I would assume you (1) Select the Module (DME), Select the "Diagnosis Scan" Tab to read Parameters or view Inputs to the DME, similar to "F5 Status" in INPA, and (2) Select "Component triggering" Tab to Activate a component connected to the DME, similar to "F6 Activations (Steuern) in INPA.

I find it helpful to think in terms of either (1) Reading INPUTS to a module from sensor signals, or voltage inputs TO a Module, OR (2) Using INPA/ISTA to "Trigger" an OUTPUT from that Module to a connected device, such as a Motor, Solenoid, Light, etc, to test the OUTPUT side of the system. You can also use many INPA "Activation" Screens to simply VIEW Inputs to the Module, WITHOUT "Over-riding" DME/Module Control of the System being "Viewed."

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
JWT4700
Private
Rep

George,
yes the half engine ccid-29 keeps popping up, all though it is a "limp mode" code, the car still drives fine. im scared to keep driving it with the engine rattle, but it doesnt seem to be getting worse, and im waiting on parts to show up to finish the e46, so i have no option to drive this now. BUT in driving it, i have collected more data!
SO, the code is only popping up on a warm idle. by that i mean we can start the car in the morning and let it sit for 5-10mins to warm up and no warning light. it has come very persistent in coming on only when when its sitting idle when warm. my wife comes to pick me up from work, gets there about 10-15mins early, sitting idling with the a/c on obviously, and it pops up while sitting there. i come out and it drives fine home (less the rattle noise lol)
ill attach the freeze frame data showing 0 speed and idle rpm. i pulled codes again yesterday when i got home to find the same 10 codes i posted a few days ago. im guessing if i go check now ill still have the same 10.
Attached Images

09-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #14
JWT4700
Private
Rep

finally had a day i could tackle the Eccentric shaft sensor. got it swapped out in about 4 hours. at idle it sounds like the rattle problem has been solved, test drive tomorrow will tell. anyway i had a rather tough time with the valve cover, all the spark plug tube where stuck in the head rather than in the valve cover (last time i did the VC, the tubes all stayed in the cover, was pretty simple to remove. In my struggle i seem to have had a small mishap, my guess is one of the center bolts must have hit it.

thoughts on how critical this is? to me it seems like it would be fine. i retrieved the broken piece. it looks to me as its just two bolts, cant really tell if you would have to remove the other half or not - i can see they hook together but not really how - anyone know?

i have my hopes up that that rattle noise is gone. ill report back after a test drive.
thanks for help!
Attached Images

09-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:

So i replaced the Eccentric Shaft Sensor, i still have the rattle
BUT on a positive note NO MORE CODE! it does idle MUCH better now too! as i mentioned it surges pretty bad in the morning in reverse when i back out of the driveway and it doesnt do that anymore!

what else could this rattle possibly be???
ive read some threads on Vanos Rattle and the DISAs making noise - would either of those be the culprit? im not sure what either of these sound like.

the sounds is constant at idle and follows a pretty distinct pattern not sure how to describe it other than:
tap...tap tap tap..............tap...tap tap tap..............tap...tap tap tap
and then again around 2500 rpm it sounds like a chain rattle to me.
maybe its just me but i feel like that chain rattle part has improved slightly after the sensor replacement, but that could just be me.
      09-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #16
JWT4700
Private
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps we're looking at/barking up the WRONG TREE??

I've forgotten if the vehicle is "new-to-you" or if you know its prior history? Has there been water in the Driver footwell?
Has it sat unused for months?
Do you have ANY other DME Codes, other than 2A38?
When the "Half-engine"/Limp Mode light comes on, can you still accelerate normally?
Have you read Freeze Frame Data or Fault DETAILS by Double-clicking the 2A38 Fault Code row in the Fault Memory Display (ISTA)?
Double-click 2A38 and then click "Details" Tab. Attach Screenprint of the 2A38 Fault Details screen.

If the 2A38 Fault is ALWAYS set when RPM (shown in Fault Details) is in excess of idle speed (OFF Idle), then it is possible that you have the beginning of a fault in the Accelerator Pedal Module which is sending an Intermittent bogus signal to the DME, which causes the "surge" you are experiencing in Reverse.

I can provide examples of several INPA Screens (some of them Translated to English) that you can view to assess (1) Accelerator Pedal Module Signals, (2) Eccentric Shaft Sensor Signals, or (3) VANOS Solenoid & Cam Position Sensor Feedback/Signals.

Generally, you use INPA "F5 Status" screens with Engine OFF but Ignition On, to assess (1) & (2), and use INPA "F6 Activations" to view VANOS Solenoid and Cam Sensor signals to DME, WITHOUT Activating or "Over-riding" DME control, just OBSERVING as the engine is running. As long as you understand what you are trying to observe, or read via INPA Screen, as far as signals received by the DME from the various sensors, you can't mess anything up.

Attached are some example screens from my 328xi E91 that show:

1) Raw Pedal Sensor voltage from each of two sensors in pedal module; with ENGINE OFF, you move pedal slowly and look to see that two sensors have smooth, relational voltage changes, with Sensor 1 being ~ twice the signal voltage as Sensor 2. The Menu sequence to view that Screen is INPA > DME MSV80 > F5 Status > F2 Analog > F4 ADC Measured Values (signal Voltage). The attached screen was with Engine OFF and pedal nearly floored.

2) Idle Pedal Position is shown in second attached screen, with Voltages of ~ .68V (Sensor 1), and .34V (2). The two top bar graphs are Voltage Supply to the two sensors, "Nominal 5.0V" and actual of 4.98V, which does NOT change with pedal position.

3) Third INPA Screen attached shows "Measured Values, Group 6". The Menu Sequence to view that screen: INPA > F5 > F2 > F6. All Parameter Labels are translated to English. Screen as shown is with Engine ON, at Idle speed. NOTE the SIXTH bar graph from top in SECOND Column: "VVT-Eccentric Shaft Actual Value". That is the the ESS signal in Degrees, showing 23.86 degrees position at idle on mine (Idle set to 660 RPM). Also Note TOP line in that column. That is Accelerator Pedal Value in % of fully pressed position. When pedal is ON IDLE, that reading should be "0%" as shown, and if you press the accelerator pedal, that % increases. Just don't do anything silly with engine running and you're OK.

Let us know what you find, and we can suggest other screens/tests. Since I just installed ISTA, I'll try to figure out if ISTA can provide similar data, and how to access it. I would assume you (1) Select the Module (DME), Select the "Diagnosis Scan" Tab to read Parameters or view Inputs to the DME, similar to "F5 Status" in INPA, and (2) Select "Component triggering" Tab to Activate a component connected to the DME, similar to "F6 Activations (Steuern) in INPA.

I find it helpful to think in terms of either (1) Reading INPUTS to a module from sensor signals, or voltage inputs TO a Module, OR (2) Using INPA/ISTA to "Trigger" an OUTPUT from that Module to a connected device, such as a Motor, Solenoid, Light, etc, to test the OUTPUT side of the system. You can also use many INPA "Activation" Screens to simply VIEW Inputs to the Module, WITHOUT "Over-riding" DME/Module Control of the System being "Viewed."

George
well i got my hopes up for nothing... two whole days with no code, came back on again. same codes as before. i played around with inpa, found the valvetronic section as well as the Disa section. not too sure what im looking at in inpa, but i will say when i was activating the disa valves, one was definitely louder than the other. heres the screens of the ISTA and INPA i did today. still at a loss of where to go next. so ive done a new ValveTronic motor AND Eccentric Shaft Sensor, still getting the codes and the noise... any thoughts?
Attached Images

07-01-2022, 02:15 AM   #17
migota
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320i

Hi mate, sorry for reviving this old thread. I also facing the same issue (open circuit/sluggish movement), already replace valvetronic motor but error appear again. The check engine usually appear when engine warm, and suddenly throttle becoming not responsive. After turn off car won't start after it cool in next day. Do you solve the issue?

Quote:
well i got my hopes up for nothing... two whole days with no code, came back on again. same codes as before. i played around with inpa, found the valvetronic section as well as the Disa section. not too sure what im looking at in inpa, but i will say when i was activating the disa valves, one was definitely louder than the other. heres the screens of the ISTA and INPA i did today. still at a loss of where to go next. so ive done a new ValveTronic motor AND Eccentric Shaft Sensor, still getting the codes and the noise... any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 01:50 PM   #18
Willy33
Rep
Drives: bmw 525i

Dis anyone ever find a fix to this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2023, 02:02 PM   #19
Abramsles
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 n51 328xi

I have the same issues. Does anyone have an update?
Thanks
Appreciate 0