E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 06 325i cranks but will not start.

05-31-2023, 04:36 PM   #1
xr7dave
Rep
Drives: 06 325

06 325i cranks but will not start.

I parked the 325 last fall and failed to keep the battery charged. Prior to that, no issues at all. Now, charged battery and it will crank but not start. Yeah I know this has been covered a million times but hear me out.

I ran codes.

DME
2F7B Oil pressure switch
2EEC Temp sensor
2DED Power management, current monitor
2DEC Power management, battery monitor
2AAE Fuel pump

CAS

Man I wish I'd recorded this one because there was a code. But I assumed based on the things I've read that it indicated a need to resync the DME and CAS. So, I just cleared the code and performed the resync (new Snap On scanner has this routine in it). It said it was reset. But no joy.

Now I do not hear the fuel pump run. So again, the scanner has the ability to run the fuel pump. I did so, and can hear it run as well as bear down as pressure builds. I can switch it on and off no problem with the scanner.

When I press start and the engine is cranking, I can see voltage at or to the pump according to the scanner. I will say that when I first tried to start the car a month or so ago before any scanning or anything, it did fire once or twice but not enough to start. Now it just cranks endlessly. Yes the battery is fully charged and yes the starter is new (last year's problem). It cranks fast, no issue there.

All the dash lights come on, everything appears 100% normal except no fire. I can even see tach rpm during crank and the scanner confirms about 150rpm crank speed.

Per Youtube video's I've checked the CAS fuses and tried with the MAF disconnected just to make sure that didn't somehow wack out.

Some of the codes I thought might be from last year when I had issues with the battery safety terminal which I replaced with a BMW part, but now I don't see how that could be part of this since everything is working. I cleared the codes and none have come back, but it's not starting either so idk.

Help? Ideas?

A bunch of other codes in various systems.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
xr7dave
Rep

Ok no replies but I really do have a problem with this car.

Ran codes again tonight and these came up:

DME

2F7B Oil pressure switch
2EEC Temp sensor
2DED Current monitor
2DEC Battery monitor
2AAE Fuel pump

Fuel Pump Control

CEC7 CAN communication fault

Immobilizer

A0B2 Terminal 30E/30I supply

FRM

9CCE Battery exhausted

Gateway

E194 No message, Receiver Transmitter CAS
E18C Monitoring

So I am not sure if these are all remaining codes from when the battery went dead. I thought I cleared them when I first posted this last week but they all seemed to still be there. Or they reset. BUT I cleared them for sure tonight and it took forever for the process to complete but now I get no codes. None.

But it still won't start. And, oddly enough I've started getting the KEY symbol in the message center when I insert the FOB. Everything lights up and seems like its going to work, but it just cranks endlessly. Sometimes I hear the fuel pump run for just a 1/2 second when I hit the unlock button on the remote. Seems weird to me but you don't notice these things until stuff stops working.

Really looking for some input here. It seems like this is something someone has had happen before.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:22 PM   #3
xr7dave
Rep

I should mention I'm using the newest Snap On scanner. It has the CAS / DME resynch function but I've tried it numerous times and I don't think it's working. Idk.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 02:28 AM   #4
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i

Check the fuel pressure. You will need a fuel pressure gauge attached to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. It should be about 75 psi.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 08:10 PM   #5
xr7dave
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZE90 View Post
Check the fuel pressure. You will need a fuel pressure gauge attached to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. It should be about 75 psi.
Checked fuel pressure, found none. I can activate the fuel pump with the scanner, and I can hear it run fine, but literally no fuel pressure at the rail. We even took the schrader valve out and just a dribble.

So, if the fuel pump runs but no fuel gets up front, who is the likely culprit? Should I just order a whole pump/filter assembly even though I hear the pump running or is there something else external that could be preventing pressure/flow?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 08:46 PM   #6
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr7dave View Post
Checked fuel pressure, found none. I can activate the fuel pump with the scanner, and I can hear it run fine, but literally no fuel pressure at the rail. We even took the schrader valve out and just a dribble.

So, if the fuel pump runs but no fuel gets up front, who is the likely culprit? Should I just order a whole pump/filter assembly even though I hear the pump running or is there something else external that could be preventing pressure/flow?
Fuel pressure regulator. It's in the Lh side of the fuel tank. It comes as a complete assembly.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
NZE90
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a link to the part but please double check it with your chassis number.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=16117163295
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 09:35 AM   #8
xr7dave
Rep

Update: So we checked fuel pressure and found none, even though the pump works and could be manually activated by the scanner.

So we replaced the regulator/filter assembly in the tank and voila, it started up immediately. So that problem was solved with the regulator/filter assembly.
Appreciate 0