E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 07 328i MSV70 Tune Questions

09-08-2022, 07:09 PM   #45
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

apparently one of those codes is to be expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #46
je03672
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post

apparently one of those codes is to be expected.
Yeah that's the video I watched as a tutorial when i first did the flash. His 2FA4 seems to clear after resetting the EM but the 2FA3 stays. Both codes stay on my car. The 2FA4 puts the car in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:34 PM   #47
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Are you flashing rsa delete separately? When I did my car, I couldn’t do both files simultaneously like the video. I deleted the “tune” file and ran rsa only. Got it to confirm. Downloaded the tune file and ran it. Took 10 mins tops. No codes
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:54 PM   #48
je03672
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Are you flashing rsa delete separately? When I did my car, I couldn't do both files simultaneously like the video. I deleted the "tune" file and ran rsa only. Got it to confirm. Downloaded the tune file and ran it. Took 10 mins tops. No codes
I flashed both tunes right after each other. I did not turn the car off or reset EM between flashes if that is what you are asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 08:58 AM   #49
je03672
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok I fixed it. In short, the power class on the CAS did not match the 6BMOT. Here is how I fixed it:

1. Open NCSEXPERT and do a CODIERDATEN_Lesen. Load profile "Manipulate", Select your chassis and then the module you want to flash. In my case i selected the 6BMOT. Select execute job. This will generate a trace file and automatically saves to your work folder. This is basically a read file execution and allows you to manipulate the file. When you execute this job it will save the file to MSV80.COD. Depending on your situation the name of this may change. NCSEXPERT will tell you this in the Job name. The following video will help with getting to this point:

2. Open NCSDUMMY, select your chassis, and select the module that you just read in NCSEXPERT. In my case i selected MSV80COD. Then you will want to select load trace file FSW_PSW.

3. Scroll down until you see OLULCODIERUNG. Underneath this you will see wert_01 and wert_02. This is the power class value and you need to match the CAS value to this. In my case my power class was 1 on the 6BMOT so I matched the CAS to this. Remember this value for step 4.

4. Now go back to NCSEXPERT and select change ECU and select CAS. Do a CODIERDATEN_Lesen and execute job. Go to NCSDUMMY and change the module to the job name listed in NCSEXPERT. Now scroll down until you see Class_PWR where it says klasse_1 or klasse_2. This value needs to match the 6BMOT. I selected klasse_1. At the bottom of NCSDUMMY I selected the export drop-down and then selected .MAN file. This saves the .MAN file and gets it ready for flashing.

5. Go back to NCSEXPERT and select SG_CODIEREN. Select execute job. The .MAN file from above will already be loaded and you don't have to select anything. Now you have successfully changed the power class on your CAS.

TLDR; These two power class values have to match and you need to modify whichever module will allow you to flash it. Your flash tune will also need to match your powerclass but Bimmergeeks tunes should come with the check disabled so this will not apply to most people.

If you run into trouble, the following link may be of assistance:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664944

Notes- I first tried to change the power value on the 6BMOT but it would not let me. Based on my research I think this is due to the DME locking you out after 10 working hours. There is a workaround for this but you should be able to follow the steps above and match the CAS to the 6BMOT instead of this. The power class does not affect performance at all and it is just a security check by BMW to make sure you are flashing the correct calibration file.

Note 2: If for some reason the CAS does not let you change the power class then just flip the steps and try to flash the 6BMOT instead and match the CAS value.

Note 3: Once you know how to use NCSEXPERT this is super simple and I can't believe the amount of free support on this is so minimal. I can make a tutorial video on this if anyone needs it in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:42 AM   #50
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So how is it running now?
Also good job . You had to come a long
way pretty fast.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:44 AM   #51
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

yeah that's weird, so somehow the value in the CAS got changed.

default coding always fixes 2FA3 but usually people just ignore that one since it doesn't do anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:55 AM   #52
je03672
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
So how is it running now?
Also good job . You had to come a long
way pretty fast.
Thanks, it's running great I drove it for ~50 miles this morning and the power is awesome. INPA still shows no errors so I think I'm good.

I'm happy it all worked out because this is my first bmw I bought it about 4 weeks ago and swapped a used N52 in it. Super happy with the car so far.

All in all, I had no experience with BMW Tools/software prior to about 4 days ago and it was fun and exciting to learn so much so quickly. It took a lot of research.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 11:57 AM   #53
je03672
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

default coding always fixes 2FA3 but usually people just ignore that one since it doesn't do anything.
Honestly I'm curious if the power class was changed when I flashed the stock tune from BG. Not sure but the issue is fixed now.

To fix the 2FA3 I flashed a blank man file to the CAS and I think that fixed that error. Or it could have been a combination of the power class tuning. Either way, all codes are gone. Super happy now.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #54
unk045
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Quote:

Hey hassmaschine I imagine you get a ton of messages and requests and sorry to have to post this in another thread, but I'd greatly appreciate your insight here when you get a chance. I tagged you in my reply but it probably fell through.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:14 PM   #55
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by je03672 View Post
Honestly I'm curious if the power class was changed when I flashed the stock tune from BG. Not sure but the issue is fixed now.

To fix the 2FA3 I flashed a blank man file to the CAS and I think that fixed that error. Or it could have been a combination of the power class tuning. Either way, all codes are gone. Super happy now.
no, it is not possible to change the power class with a flash. the value stored inside the DME's memory is permanent. There are a couple ways to force it to another value it but it's not something you could do without specialized tools and knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #56
je03672
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

no, it is not possible to change the power class with a flash. the value stored inside the DME's memory is permanent. There are a couple ways to force it to another value it but it's not something you could do without specialized tools and knowledge.
Gotcha, that's interesting. Glad it's all fixed now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 10:37 AM   #57
fespinoza831
Rep
Drives: e90, e46, e66

My powerclass was also changed after tuning the BL 328 to 330 file. Its currently as you show on your pictures cas is 1 and dme is 0. Tried your steps to change but neither alow me to make the change.
Appreciate 0