E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Cold Weather Electrical Problems

12-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #23
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

New battery has since fixed the gremlins. $114 at advance auto. Not registered yet. Now front windows need reset.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #24
gtp900
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 2015 35d mspor

I had ac/heat blower fan issues before I swapped batteries, after swap they went away.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #25
Ekar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBriner View Post
Hi,

Hijacking the post as someone might have had the same problem and it is reproducible only with low temps and it is electrical related.

Car in question: E89 (Z4) 2009 - It shares perhaps the same electronics with the E90 series.

The problem: "Cold" weather, as far as I could test, below 12°C (approx 54°F), press key FOB to open door, almost everything normal except that door does not open. If I press the key FOB to open the trunk, it opens and immediately closes again after a few seconds. Basically the time for me to get the physical key out of the key FOB and open manually the driver's door, the "car on ramp" lights on in the dashboard.

On the car by inserting the key FOB, several error messages, electrical malfunction car cannot be driven, steering wheel malfunction, ABS/DSC malfunction.

The engine starts, it just take a bit longer, I would say no more than 5 seconds longer.

In the dashboard the tach doesn't work, fuel gauge does. Windows work, mirrors work, AC works, drivers seat heating works, passenger one doesn't, wipers don't work, "rear" windows don't work, all buttons in the steering wheel don't work, sport/sport+ button doesn't work, xenon lights work.

After the car heats up, a process that can take up to 40 minutes when it was 1°C (34°F) once, all comes to normal again, eventually I get a CEL light in the dashboard that during the day vanishes too. During the day, no matter what temperature, all normal.

During the o problem I tried to get information from the OBD2 port without success. The INPA could not communicate with the modules.

The battery is only 1 year old and it was registered, I measured the voltage before staring the car and it was a solid 12.4V. I did not measure anything related to the alternator as I think it cannot be the alternator since the problem appears before starting the engine.

If the temp is higher, these couple of days were at approx 12°C (54°F), no problem whatsoever.

Any help is much appreciated.
Hi Briner, Did you fix the trouble shouting? I just read your post I have exactly the same symptoms in my car, alsa the battery is originally and mounted in BMW 6 month. ago. Looks Ok. I checked all cables and fuse, nothing strange.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 04:26 PM   #26
aaddam2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 335d M-Sport

i have a 2011, and my battery gave out mid 2017 (at a track day at that, missed my first session). but i stopped by NAPA picked up a Group 49 (bigger) and the tech at track registered the battery for free I went to the dealer several days prior to the event and the battery checker doohicky, said it was still good. think the issue was 1 of the cells went out. I would definitely DIY and use the Carly method or find someone with registration ability and do it. going a short period with a non registered battery is probably fine, just you dont want to do it for long bc then your car will overcharge your battery.

Last edited by aaddam2; 01-08-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 04:00 AM   #27
Ekar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
i have a 2011, and my battery gave out mid 2017 (at a track day at that, missed my first session). but i stopped by NAPA picked up a Group 49 (bigger) and the tech at track registered the battery for free I went to the dealer several days prior to the event and the battery checker doohicky, said it was still good. think the issue was 1 of the cells went out. I would definitely DIY and use the Carly method or find someone with registration ability and do it. going a short period with a non registered battery is probably fine, just you dont want to do it for long bc then your car will overcharge your battery.
Good! this noon I´ll leave my car in to the dealer, hopefully it´s only a problem with the process for register the new battery.
Thanks
Appreciate 0