E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 005DEC and 005E5C

04-14-2023, 07:32 AM   #1
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

005DEC and 005E5C

Hi guys,

Had some front wheel speed sensor codes and replaced the front sensors. Those went away as well as the CEL.

However, immediately after that I got these two codes. I replaced the rear left sensor but still getting 4x4, brake lights.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

I’m not following if those errors in the photo are still present or not or if you have different errors now. If it’s just the 4x4, etc, turning the steering wheel lock to lock to see if it’s just an SAS reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 09:15 AM   #3
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, errors still present. I've used Carly to clear codes. Are you saying to just turn on car and move steering wheel all the way to left then all the way to right then back to center?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitz View Post
Had some front wheel speed sensor codes and replaced the front sensors. Those went away as well as the CEL. However, immediately after that I got these two codes. I replaced the rear left sensor but still getting 4x4, brake lights. Any ideas?
Ideas:
0) Read through/ BEYOND the following rant to see actual positive suggestions.

1) Ditch Carly and get a REAL Scan Tool, or better, proper Diagnostic Software, such as INPA/ISTA. Here are my observations about the Carly (?) data you post:
a) "Kitchen Sink" approach: NO specific fault clearly identified; "React Immediately" -- React to WHAT, and HOW?

b) You state your Wheel Speed Sensor codes went away and "immediately after that" you got 5DEC & 5E5C codes. Carly data: "5DEC Last occurred at 184522 miles" & 5E5C Last occurred at 201065 miles". ???

c) 5DEC code details: "Wheel speed sensor rear left shorted plus" (Last occurred at 184522 miles ;-); That literally means (to me) that there was a wiring fault (short to B+) at 184522 miles, in the Left Rear Wheel Speed Sensor wiring.

As I understand the DSC/DXC and VGSG relationship: You have two different Modules on xDrive. (1) DSC/DXC, located next to Brake Fluid Reservoir to which Wheel Speed Sensors send their signals, used for ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), DSC stability control, & RPA (Run Flat Indicator). (2) VGSG Transfer Case Module, located on floor in front of passenger seat, used to control the VTG Transfer Case Motor. If the VGSG does NOT receive proper Wheel Speed Sensor signals from the DSC/DXC module, it shuts down and the 4x4 light comes on.

d) 5E5C code details: "RPA button error... plausibility direction of rotation... Brake lining worn front". 'RPA' is Run Flat Indicator, a comparison of wheel rotation speeds to detect under-inflated tire. The code is NON-specific for WHICH Wheel. Brake "LINING" is a term used for brake shoes on a drum brake system, NOT used on either front or rear on E9x. Hope you're beginning to see how technically incorrect & misleading (can you say 'BS' ;-) this approach to "Diagnostics" is. Please see below for a more "Positive" approach.

2) Indicate the Last-7 Characters of the VIN of the vehicle in question. A 328i does NOT have Transfer case, yet you indicate you have 4x4 warning light. Code Definitions VARY depending upon the Variant or SGBD of the control Module in question. BOTH the codes you list are in the DSC (or DSC/DXC if xDrive) Module Fault Memory, and NOT the VGSG/VTG Transfer Case.

3) Determine if Carly, or any Scan Tool/ Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) available to you, can display "Freeze Frame Data" related to any fault code in the DSC/DXC Module. FF Data is a "Snapshot" of system conditions at the moment a fault code was saved. That MAY show you wheel speed/ direction at the moment the fault code was saved.

4) Determine if your Scan Tool can display "Live Data" of (a) Wheel Speed and (b) Rotation Direction for EACH of the 4 wheels as the vehicle moves. That data would give clues as to WHICH wheel's sensor signal is NOT being correctly received by the DSC/DXC. INPA or ISTA can display FF Data & Live Data. Those Diagnosis methods allow you to SEE exactly what is being received by the Module from the Sensors.

To DIAGNOSE an issue, one needs to:
1) Understand WHAT DATA can be displayed by Software/Tool at hand.
2) Get DATA that is relevant to the issue;
3) Understand HOW a system works, to be able to know WHICH DATA is relevant;

I have YET to see anyone on the Forums use Carly effectively to Diagnose. It MAY be able to read Fault Codes in ALL Modules. It reportedly (by experts who also use other Tools) can LOG data. However it is apparently poorly-explained in any Manual or Documentation provided with the product. Users generally appear unaware of HOW to do anything but read codes.

It's ONE thing to be able to write software that can "Query" or "Hack" a computer module to view date saved in, or received by that module. Carly appears able to do that. It's ANOTHER thing to understand automotive systems, how they work, the difference between Module Variants, etc. and to FILTER the Data so that the user is "enlightened" or learns something, rather than being "Overwhelmed" by irrelevant or misleading data.

The DATA Carly provides, as evidenced by your two screens, appears to be "Faux Data" which, if understood by the "computer hackers" (NOT automotive experts) that developed the program, is NOT explained, and more likely to mislead or "boggle the mind", than to enlighten.

I understand the difficulty of trying to develop software for use by the general public, given the WIDE (limited ;-) range of knowledge/ experience/ interest in understanding complex systems. Best solution I can think of is to get INPA and ISTA, and ask for Forum help on HOW to view, Save & Post ScreenPrints of the relevant screens showing data.

I'll attach an INPA screen showing Wheel Speed & Direction to NEXT Post. Vehicle was stationary when ScreenPrint made, but the German has been Translated to English so you can see what each Bar Graph represents. That's the data your DSC/DXC is capable of displaying IF you have software/ Tool that can "hack it".
George
Appreciate 2
Schmitz241.00
GoRomeo968.00
      04-14-2023, 10:14 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached is INPA Wheel Speeds ScreenPrint from my 3/2007 build 328xi. English Translations of the "Labels"
is added by me. Vehicle was stationary when ScreenPrint was made, so NO values appear for any Bar Graph.
This is ONLY for purposes of showing what DATA or "Fields"/ "Parameters" your vehicle is capable of displaying.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Schmitz241.00
      04-14-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all that. I will get insta and report back with more questions!

However, 328xi doesn't have a transfer case you're saying?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 03:55 PM   #7
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Sorry, errors still present. I've used Carly to clear codes. Are you saying to just turn on car and move steering wheel all the way to left then all the way to right then back to center?
Yes, but if those codes are still present, that’s not going to fix your problem. I just replaced my fourth wheel speed sensor (all 4 originals failed in the last two years on my e91) and it happens to be that it was the rear left as well.
All the codes are saying is that the DSC is shutdown driving all 4 wheels (which is why you have the 4x4 light) due to the wheel speed sensor providing inaccurate data (or no data at all). If I cleared the faults and that came up, my first thoughts would be that
1) I didn’t seat the sensor properly into the connector
2) there is a bunch of dirt in the receptacle where the sensor picks up the signals from the bearing
3) Bum cable, which can be

For 3, you can swap rear cables from l/r to see if it follows the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2023, 10:11 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all that. I will get insta and report back with more questions! However, 328xi doesn't have a transfer case you're saying?
ANY xDrive (328xi, 335xi, etc.) DOES have a transfer case. My point was that the 4x4 warning light appears to be due to lack of Wheel Speed or Direction signal from one wheel (as received by the DSC) and NOT any separate Transfer Case Fault. The Transfer Case Module (VGSG/VTG) simply shuts down (as does the ABS) when NO proper signal from one of the Wheel Speed Sensors.

If you already have a Windows Laptop (NOT in "S-Mode") the only "one-time" cost to use INPA (BMW Factory-Level Diagnostic Software) or ISTA (BMW Dealer-Level Diagnostic Software with "Shop Manual"), is a $30 to $50 "K+DCAN Cable" from Amazon or BimmerGeeks. See this link for details, including HOW to get started:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/t...#post-13809917

Post any questions here and folks familiar with INPA/ISTA will help (me too ;-)
George
Appreciate 0