E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > E92 Track Build in Progress

05-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Sam021290
Rep
Drives: 09 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam021290 View Post
Hey sorry it's been a while since the update. I actually have the CSF and temps stay reasonable. I'm going out to COTA and can get exact numbers in a week or two.

But a little off topic but the problem I'm having right now is a boost leak somewhere. I'm getting 30FF but I have replaced all my lines and boost solenoids. Smoke test is not showing any leaks. I have vacuum actuated exhaust cutouts and have tried capping them off but still not hitting target boost. I should be running around 18psi but haven't been able to hit anything over 13. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
With the stock intake installed you should be able to hear such a large leak. This would narrow down the search. If you can't hear any air escaping it could be vacuum or exhaust related. I once had a stuck exhaust valve that caused boost under target.

As for the dual oil cooler vs aux cooler discussion we now have more data over on spo olstreet in the cooling thread. I think the data speaks for itself. Like they did with the S55 and S58, both the oil cooler and radiator area needs to be massively increased to keep temps in check in hot and humid ambient conditions. COTA in December probably wont be a problem though, but better not go on track with any type of boost leaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam021290 View Post
Hey sorry it's been a while since the update. I actually have the CSF and temps stay reasonable. I'm going out to COTA and can get exact numbers in a week or two.

But a little off topic but the problem I'm having right now is a boost leak somewhere. I'm getting 30FF but I have replaced all my lines and boost solenoids. Smoke test is not showing any leaks. I have vacuum actuated exhaust cutouts and have tried capping them off but still not hitting target boost. I should be running around 18psi but haven't been able to hit anything over 13. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
With the stock intake installed you should be able to hear such a large leak. This would narrow down the search. If you can't hear any air escaping it could be vacuum or exhaust related. I once had a stuck exhaust valve that caused boost under target.

As for the dual oil cooler vs aux cooler discussion we now have more data over on spo olstreet in the cooling thread. I think the data speaks for itself. Like they did with the S55 and S58, both the oil cooler and radiator area needs to be massively increased to keep temps in check in hot and humid ambient conditions. COTA in December probably wont be a problem though, but better not go on track with any type of boost leaks.

I search and search and eventually found the problem... and it was quite dumb. I had recently redone my vacuum lines. I had quite a hard time getting the line on the nipple of the bottom turbo. Finally after a while with the lady fingers and my arm crammed way down in there I got it. Again there was no leaks with smoke tests and no solenoid issues. We put my car on the lift and checked all the lines in detail again... I had placed the vacuum line on a nut that was right next to the bottom turbo nipple. I was going off feel and well.. oops. Luckily it wasnt anything major. Still embarrassing. As for oil cooling I will check out that thread.

Update on the build. Since I fixed the vacuum line issue I had run on the track a few more times. Everything went pretty smoothly up until my last day on track. My serpentine belt shredded and was sucked up into my PS, for the second time. Luckily both times were coming around turns to the pits so I could just pull right in. I dont know if it was from rubbing on the subframe or possibly rubbing on the inlets. I grabbed some new solid motor mounts and trans mounts. I also readjusted the inlets to pull a little further away and hopefully avoid rubbing. Also just grabbed a set of yoko slicks that im excited to try out. Hoping to go back out to COTA in late June.
Appreciate 0