E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2DCF - "VVT no movement" - but actuator seems to work?

08-28-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
DLucian
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335i N55 | F20 125I B48

2DCF - "VVT no movement" - but actuator seems to work?

Greetings everyone,

I have a wierd issue with my freshly bought E91 LCI - 335i with the N55 engine. So, just got the car, it goes like an animal, seems perfect to me, but it keeps getting the following fault code:

2DCF: "Valvetronic No Movement Identified".

Discovered this by accident, really, since I didn't notice anything wrong with the car but then again, I never owned anything like this before. Maybe, after starting the engine, the idle is just a little rough for the first minute or so, but I am not certain it's an issue or maybe it just needs a service for spark plugs or something.

Next thing I noticed the cable that goes from the ECU to the valvetronic actuator has been changed recently (cable is made 2 years ago) so maybe there were issues before and someone tried to fix it.

Reading that the actuator moves when vehicle is unlocked, I listened to it carefully and I could hear that clasic actuator sound when unlocking the car. Just to make sure I did not hear the wrong sound, I unplugged the connector and I stopped hearing it so this confirms to me that there is some movement there.

Next, I started the car with the connector off and I got multiple other fault codes. Also, the car idled rough, a definite change.

So I am trying to avoid opening up the engine (given that the gasket has no leaks yet) and I am trying to figure out what can cause this.

I tried to run an ISTA relearn procedure but it failed due to voltage. I am trying to find a place so I can connect the battery so I can run this procedure.

For me it feels like the system is sort of running but the car thinks it's not running. Checked i-level and it's 2018 so that was also updated.

I am tempted to exclude a mechanical fault for now given that I read through tonnes of forum posts and I didn't really come across this situation where the car seems to run fine, actuator seems to run smoothly, no clicking, but this error is present and it's the only error. I've been reading that usual valvetronic issues such as the actuator or eccentric shaft come with an array of errors.

Does anyone know if I can look at ista live data for vvt? Where ar they and what could I be looking at?

Also, any other help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning to run this relearn procedure successfully when I find a solution for the voltage. I don't think I can run this off the battery alone as it needs 13.3 volts and even if it is fully charged, I don't think it will work. Am I right?

Thanks for your time.
Appreciate 0