E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 LCI Xenon angel eye outer rim not working

06-29-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
HrachZ
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i 2011

E90 LCI Xenon angel eye outer rim not working

Hi

I have a 2010 E90 320i with xenon headlights. The outer ring of my right headlight doesn't work. The brightness of the one on the other side is also very low but at least it works. Anyone knows what could be the problem?

I tried replacing the bulb with white leds but still didnt help. I switched back to the original ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Looks like the bulbs are not seated correctly and the original bulb may have moved. The outer rings light up just from the main bulb and its orientation. So, unless the channel to the outer ring has broken or is blocked, it should light up if any light is passing to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
HrachZ
Rep

Im pretty sure the bulbs are installed correctly, i just think the light doesn’t get through to the second ring. Is it something i can fix because im not a very handy person.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
You put in aftermarket bulbs (Likely LEDS)?

Due to LEDS being flat and directional (not completely 360 deg like incandescent) the outer rings have a direct angle which light needs to enter it. Most LEDs are not aimed at this exact angle , less light goes in so they look very very dim.

That's just a trait for E90/E91 halos with LEDS
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
HrachZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
You put in aftermarket bulbs (Likely LEDS)?

Due to LEDS being flat and directional (not completely 360 deg like incandescent) the outer rings have a direct angle which light needs to enter it. Most LEDs are not aimed at this exact angle , less light goes in so they look very very dim.

That's just a trait for E90/E91 halos with LEDS
Yes but after trying i removed the white leds again and put back in the original ones. The problem still occurs with the original light bulbs like u see in the first picture. One side the outer ring is very dim and the other side it doesnt burn at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Lots of things to trouble shoot for. The outer tube could be broken and then light can't transmit past the break. There is a reflector in the rear portion of the cornering light housing that directs light up into the outer tube and its very inner point. Hopefully, it's not the tube as you will have to do lots of work to get to it and no replacements tubes can be bought. Have to get another tube from salvage parts. Its hard to explain about the reflector I mentioned. You would have to see with your own eyes.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

My plan of attack to troubleshoot would be to remove the headlight assembly from the vehicle, open up the angel eye bulb cap and inspect the angel eye ring "stems".

To get an idea of what they look like inside, refer to the pictures in this post: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=16

Your car is an e90 LCI with xenons, so there are some differences regarding the routing of the ring stems, but the concept is the same. Try looking for any damage or anything blocking the stem ends. You could try to do this with the light assembly in situ, but your viewing angles will be extremely limited. If you don't want to jump to removing the light assembly (which requires removal of the front fascia) you could try an endoscope to inspect.

If you do find damage to the ring stems, I'm afraid the only way to repair it is to open the lights up. And because it's an e90, it is very difficult.
      06-30-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

There is a small mirror in the headlight in front of the angel eye bulb that bounces the light to the outer rings. We have seen instances where this mirror falls out of place and then the outer rings do not work at all. This can happen if there is a significant bulb to the car such as a pot hole, etc. There is fixable, however is is next to impossible to do without taking the whole headlight apart.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #9
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
There is a small mirror in the headlight in front of the angel eye bulb that bounces the light to the outer rings. We have seen instances where this mirror falls out of place and then the outer rings do not work at all. This can happen if there is a significant bulb to the car such as a pot hole, etc. There is fixable, however is is next to impossible to do without taking the whole headlight apart.
I didn’t explain this as well as the vendor did.

Pull out the angel eye bulb and look in there for the mirror (I said reflector earlier) and see if it’s in place.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
HrachZ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I didn’t explain this as well as the vendor did.

Pull out the angel eye bulb and look in there for the mirror (I said reflector earlier) and see if it’s in place.
I think i found the problem. Is this the mirror you were talking about because it is missing in my right headlight? It probably fell out or something.
Attached Images

Last edited by HrachZ; 07-02-2020 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:10 PM   #11
stefanalinoprea
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 n52b25

Did you manage to fix it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrachZ View Post
I think i found the problem. Is this the mirror you were talking about because it is missing in my right headlight? It probably fell out or something.
Hello. Did you find a fix for the issue? I have the same problem and I can't seem to access anything without removing the headlight. Hopefully there is an easier fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 06:42 AM   #12
evildos
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Hello !

I have the same issue on my E90 LCI.

Any news about this ?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 03:42 AM   #13
guruguru462@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 320D xDrive

Hi, Any update? I check my mirror if i stand behind the lamp looks so many sit left and little bit 30 deggre its normal, or basic position is sitting totaly in the metal house the mirror?
Appreciate 0