E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Blown Pure Stage 2 Turbo

09-14-2021, 03:26 PM   #23
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp smb

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
17 psi max
82% wgdc
12.5 AFR

Not an aggressive tune whatsoever. Have fun boys.

https://datazap.me/u/j3good/log-1628...og=0&data=3-11
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:34 PM   #24
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3 View Post
17 psi max
82% wgdc
12.5 AFR

Not an aggressive tune whatsoever. Have fun boys.

https://datazap.me/u/j3good/log-1628...og=0&data=3-11
I'm not a tuner, but some observations I noticed that the first half of your pull, your wastegate duty cycle is 100%, AFR's are super lean, stft is almost maxed out, and you're having a ton of corrections. It seems like your car is really struggling to get fuel in for some reason. This probably isn't great for keeping exhaust temp down. But the load isn't too high yet in that part of the pull, so there's that. Is it normal for a ps2 to take that long to spool up? I'm still on the stocker snail.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:36 PM   #25
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry to hear about your turbo, by the way. That sucks to go through that.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #26
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Another observation - heat can damage the turbine, but you're missing a compressor blade. That would eff up balance and destroy your turbo. I'm not sure why you'd throw a compressor blade though? Have you checked your air filter? Sucking in a foreign object could probably do that. I don't know, maybe it could even break off from rubbing the compressor housing if the bearings were shot? Just spit-balling here...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #27
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

One more thought - with how long it's taking to spool at 100% wastegate duty cycle, there's probably a ton of back pressure between your exhaust valves and your turbine before she really starts to spin. High back pressure will also promote high exhaust temp, as the gases won't expand (and therefore cool) as much coming out of the exhaust valves
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 01:13 PM   #28
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Sorry to hear this OP. Just another reason IMO to avoid N55. There's no upside except they do sound absolutely intoxicating.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:44 AM   #29
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
I'm not a tuner, but some observations I noticed that the first half of your pull, your wastegate duty cycle is 100%, AFR's are super lean, stft is almost maxed out, and you're having a ton of corrections. It seems like your car is really struggling to get fuel in for some reason. This probably isn't great for keeping exhaust temp down. But the load isn't too high yet in that part of the pull, so there's that. Is it normal for a ps2 to take that long to spool up? I'm still on the stocker snail.
You're referencing data points when RPM is from 1700 - 2600. Yes... you clearly are not a tuner 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:53 AM   #30
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Make no mistake the guys at wedge are good at what they do and are on the conservative end when it comes to tuning
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:32 AM   #31
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You're referencing data points when RPM is from 1700 - 2600. Yes... you clearly are not a tuner 😂
Sorry, I was looking at the WOT portion of your tune. I zoomed in on the WOT part of the log, and didn't bother to look at rpm, as most people won't start a WOT logging pull until around 2500 - 3000 rpm anyway to avoid lugging the engine. But my bad, I should have looked at your rpm too.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #32
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyways, being at 1700 - 2600 rpm doesn't negate the fact that you're very lean there at WOT, have way way high stft, and have a ton of corrections. Not necesarily the tune's fault, but something is going on there that's not good. If it was my car I'd be trying to get that sorted out.
Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      09-20-2021, 08:54 AM   #33
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Looks like he's got a boost leak. I've seen PS2 logs like this taking 1500rpm+ to spool... it's not normal. LTFT is actually negative quite a bit and the STFT being highly positive is likely to add fuel back a bit when he goes WOT.

It's a 3rd gear log... starting a pull at 1700rpm is not uncommon at all. I usually start mine at 2,000rpm in 3rd and 2500rpm or so in 4th. Not hitting 17psi until 3500rpm is a bit excessive. 82% wgdc to make 17 psi also seems excessive. The timing corrections are also pretty bad.

@J3 your car was not running well at all and the fact that you think it was is very telling as to why you ended up shooting turbo guts out the exhaust.

Last edited by bbnks2; 09-20-2021 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kevin39164.00
      09-21-2021, 07:09 PM   #34
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Looks like he's got a boost leak. I've seen PS2 logs like this taking 1500rpm+ to spool... it's not normal. LTFT is actually negative quite a bit and the STFT being highly positive is likely to add fuel back a bit when he goes WOT.

It's a 3rd gear log... starting a pull at 1700rpm is not uncommon at all. I usually start mine at 2,000rpm in 3rd and 2500rpm or so in 4th. Not hitting 17psi until 3500rpm is a bit excessive. 82% wgdc to make 17 psi also seems excessive. The timing corrections are also pretty bad.

@J3 your car was not running well at all and the fact that you think it was is very telling as to why you ended up shooting turbo guts out the exhaust.
You're obviously not a tuner as well. With only being a few psi under target boost at that wgdc does not indicate a boost leak whatsoever. I'm running 91oct at 5000ft+ of elevation so yes with that much larger than stock turbo, it's going to take longer to spool. There's no timing corrections once peak boost is reached. Lastly, it's the compressor wheel in the photo so there was no guts being blown out the exhaust. There's probably some bits in my intercooler though.

Good job on displaying your knowledge! I'll go ahead and let you keep those 2 cents in your pocket bud.

Update: Pure sent me stage 1 because there was a long wait time on stage 2. Car is running fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #35
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're obviously not a tuner as well. With only being a few psi under target boost at that wgdc does not indicate a boost leak whatsoever. I'm running 91oct at 5000ft+ of elevation so yes with that much larger than stock turbo, it's going to take longer to spool. There's no timing corrections once peak boost is reached. Lastly, it's the compressor wheel in the photo so there was no guts being blown out the exhaust. There's probably some bits in my intercooler though.

Good job on displaying your knowledge! I'll go ahead and let you keep those 2 cents in your pocket bud.

Update: Pure sent me stage 1 because there was a long wait time on stage 2. Car is running fine.
OK bud. Your car was running so well that your fuel trims were maxed out and you were making less boost than people make with 5x% wgdc.

Elevation making the log look bad is still the log looking bad. But yeah blame Pure and claim your logs looked good lol. "The 5-6* timing corrections were when there was no load."

Last edited by bbnks2; 09-21-2021 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Kevin39164.00
      09-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #36
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
You're referencing data points when RPM is from 1700 - 2600. Yes... you clearly are not a tuner ��
I think you're referring to "spool mode" incorrectly.

yeah, it calls for different AFR, valve timing, etc. but even then, a commanded AFR should not trigger fuel trims, regardless of the original AFR in the stanard fuel tables.

(edit - especially if MAF is working properly AND lambda)

Set spool mode max rpm to 1rpm. Try again.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #37
Hunter3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi e92 N55

@wheela bbnks2 what's up guys ! After reading through this thread it got me super nervous but you both kinda put those nerves at ease with your comments lol I was wondering since I'm in the same boat as the OP minus the blown turbo of course I was wondering if you could look at my logs if you had the chance ? I'm pure stage 2 running an E50 mix from wedge and just wanted another set of eyes on things other than the tuner to see if there's anything you guys see that might need further looking at. Seems like you're both at the very least much more knowledgeable with these things than myself and I'd appreciate the review on the logs or any comments/concerns. These logs are 3rd and 4th gear respectively both from about 2500 RPM till redline. If anyone else wants to chip in as well feel free !

https://datazap.me/u/hunter3/wedge-t...&data=3-13

https://datazap.me/u/hunter3/wedge-tune?log=0&data=3-13
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #38
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE:

First off, even Pure said my logs looked fine. The only concern they had was afrs in 12s but I've spoken to many people about this and it's general consensus that 12s is not considered lean or catastrophic whatsoever on these motors.

I still think Pure is a great company, sometimes shit just happens. If any of you think an auto parts manufacturer can have a 100% product success rate, then you're kidding yourself. Even if it's 99% which is incredible, there's 1 out of 100 that goes bad. Is it too crazy to think maybe I got that "1"? Why else do they offer a 1 year warranty??

Pure has covered the rebuild under warranty.
END OF STORY, so go suck it you keyboard experts.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #39
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK bud. Your car was running so well that your fuel trims were maxed out and you were making less boost than people make with 5x% wgdc.

Elevation making the log look bad is still the log looking bad. But yeah blame Pure and claim your logs looked good lol. "The 5-6* timing corrections were when there was no load."
For someone that doesn't even own a pure turbo, you talk a lot of mess. Unless you're someone that actually gets paid to tunes these turbos, your input absolutely means nothing to me. I'm going to trust what Jimmy at Pure says, what Steven at Wedge says, and even myself as I drive the car over anything you've got to point out.

Oh yeah-
Pure has covered it under warranty so go kick rocks.

Last edited by J3; 09-29-2021 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 05:29 PM   #40
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
For someone that doesn't even own a pure turbo, you talk a lot of mess. Unless you're someone that actually tunes these turbos, your input absolutely means nothing to me.

Oh yeah-
Pure has covered it under warranty so go kick rocks.
They are bad turbos so you want another one? you make a lot of sense.

IF pure is covering it under warranty and "shit happens' wwhen why are you here posting about it in a thread about them being bad turbos.
Appreciate 1
Kevin39164.00
      09-29-2021, 05:40 PM   #41
J3
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They are bad turbos so you want another one? you make a lot of sense.

IF pure is covering it under warranty and "shit happens' wwhen why are you here posting about it in a thread about them being bad turbos.
First off, I'm not the OP. Second, you're so arrogant and want to argue with everyone bc you're such an 'expert'.

LAST- because i want to. I want to share my experience in case anyone else goes through this and ACTUALLY BE HELPFUL TO OTHERS.

I have nothing else to replace it with. I'm stuck. They already took my old core you genius. Again, I never dogged Pure. I went through a shitty situation and I'm glad they took care of me. I don't know why you got some sort of extra hard on for them but obviously you don't work for them bc THEY ARE MUCH COOLER AND HELPFUL than your arrogant ass.

It's not a IF. THEY ARE COVERING IT UNDER WARRANTY

Last edited by J3; 09-29-2021 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 09:42 PM   #42
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3 View Post
@wheela bbnks2 what's up guys ! After reading through this thread it got me super nervous but you both kinda put those nerves at ease with your comments lol I was wondering since I'm in the same boat as the OP minus the blown turbo of course I was wondering if you could look at my logs if you had the chance ? I'm pure stage 2 running an E50 mix from wedge and just wanted another set of eyes on things other than the tuner to see if there's anything you guys see that might need further looking at. Seems like you're both at the very least much more knowledgeable with these things than myself and I'd appreciate the review on the logs or any comments/concerns. These logs are 3rd and 4th gear respectively both from about 2500 RPM till redline. If anyone else wants to chip in as well feel free !

https://datazap.me/u/hunter3/wedge-t...og=0&data=3-13

https://datazap.me/u/hunter3/wedge-tune?log=0&data=3-13
Hey man, thanks for responding! I only looked at the first log posted (the 3rd gear pull) - that looks like a great log to me, looks like it's pulling like a freight train man! Again, i'm not a tuner, but I don't see anything that would conern me here. AFR is good, stft is good, wastegate duty cycle isn't too high, zero corrections and strong timing (gotta love ethanol!) It sounds like a 1500 rpm for spool is pretty standard for a ps2. Looks like a really well running car to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 10:19 PM   #43
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey man, thanks for responding! I only looked at the first log posted (the 3rd gear pull) - that looks like a great log to me, looks like it's pulling like a freight train man! Again, i'm not a tuner, but I don't see anything that would conern me here. AFR is good, stft is good, wastegate duty cycle isn't too high, zero corrections and strong timing (gotta love ethanol!) It sounds like a 1500 rpm for spool is pretty standard for a ps2. Looks like a really well running car to me.
Oh yeah, a couple things stood out to me as odd, but probably not problems since afr, trims, and corrections are good. The first thing is your rail pressure is extemely solid. Like exact same number over the whole pull solid. I'm not sure what the max reading is on the fuel pressure sensor, but when I see numbers that solid it looks to me like the sensor is maxed out and clipping the actual value and just reporting its maximum readable value (since it can't report any higher than that). If that's what's happening, it means your rail pressure is higher than reported, and could even be oscilating above the reported value. But again, your afr's and stft are geat, so probably nothing to worry about there. The other thing I noticed was that your load request is really high, much higher than load actual. But your boost is right on target, and very consistent, so again that's probably just part of the tuner's approach and isn't an issue.

What kind of fuel system upgrades are you running? Are you doing any port injection or just DI with upgraded pumps?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:06 AM   #44
Hunter3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335xi e92 N55

@wheela bbnks2 thank you both for looking it over ! Glad to hear that everything looks pretty solid. The car really does feel great and it's just the base map we haven't done any revisions yet. Running dorch stage 2 HPFP and Precision Raceworks stage 2.5 bucketed LPFP. Didn't want to go the PI route just for the simple fact of not wanting to do science projects with all that lol too much thinking. Doing an E50 is simple enough for me. Problem is after I get used to this power I'm just going to want more and that seems to be the route to squeeze out some more. Alternatively I've been hoping for that Pure 800 to release and maybe have that as an option or just a bigger turbo in general not sure how much gains on the same set up with a bigger turbo would be though.
Appreciate 0