E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > m3 cluster retrofit DIY?

12-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #23
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I've not seen that adapter before. On my board I just soldered some header pins into the U2 holes.

Either might work as long as the connection is good.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #24
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I've not seen that adapter before. On my board I just soldered some header pins into the U2 holes.

thanks - ordering header pins now...not sure if it was worth the $200 in savings doing it myself but hopefully with helps someone else in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
Quote:

thanks - ordering header pins now...not sure if it was worth the $200 in savings doing it myself but hopefully with helps someone else in the future.
Lol, I would have just done yours for you for $100.
      12-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #26
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Lol, I would have just done yours for you for $100.
uhhhh - pm'd
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #27
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

in for results and you have likely helped a lot of people with this info. I've seen vendors asking $500 for this service.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #28
porsche959
Banned
Rep

just a quick update and some photos.

right now just waiting for the BLUE BOARD from ali express: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...88274c4d4MnrUF

I am not sure if it will work but the RED BOARD is confirmed DOES NOT WORK, as Sensible noted earlier. it will not read the chip on the speedometer. see ya later $25. crossing my fingers that the BLUE BOARD will.

I had to buy header pins and blue wires in order to connect the clip to the RED BOARD - practiced some soldering during my down time.

Also, getting the needles off were tricky - did not work with fork, plastic remover, etc. I had to use a 3 inch pocket knife and some paper on the face of the dial gauge (similar to removing watch hands) - i felt like the plastic needles could have snapped at any moment.

the key is to really get underneath the circle part of the needle (so the sharp part of the blade is touching the stem, and gently but firmly snap it off.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #29
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Hope the blue board works out for you.

By the way, don't worry too much about reinstalling the needles perfectly. Install them as best you can back to the home position. Then give the cluster 12v power. The needles will move. Readjust.

If not perfect you can adjust again needle position with Perfekt Toolbox.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #30
porsche959
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hope the blue board works out for you.

By the way, don't worry too much about reinstalling the needles perfectly. Install them as best you can back to the home position. Then give the cluster 12v power. The needles will move. Readjust.

If not perfect you can adjust again needle position with Perfekt Toolbox.
thanks. how are you powering the cluster without plugging into the car? there are alot of pins - hard to tell which is power/ground.

Also, are you using a 12V power source and wires similar to this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...348:rk:25:pf:0

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #31
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
thanks. how are you powering the cluster without plugging into the car? there are alot of pins - hard to tell which is power/ground.

Also, are you using a 12V power source and wires similar to this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-1...348:rk:25:pf:0

The bottom 2 pins are power and ground. If you look at the connector (car side) closely it will be numbered on both sides. You should see a 1 and 9 on one side and a 10 and 18 on the other. Nine (red/blue stripe) is power, 18 is ground (brown/black stripe). newTIS.info is a great resource for wring, pinouts, schematics, etc.

I was lucky enough to find spare connector in a local junkyard that I wired up just for this. Unfortunately I don't think the connector is available separately, at least I couldn't find a place that sells it.
      01-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #32
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Yep, 9 and 18. I use female to male header pin adapters to extend the pins out of the connector housing, then just croc clip onto them to my 12v supply. Any 12v should be good. Doesn't have to be fancy. I have a dedicated bench supply.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #33
nextelbuddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 4 door M3

Quote:

right now just waiting for the BLUE BOARD from ali express: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...88274c4d4MnrUF

I am not sure if it will work but the RED BOARD is confirmed DOES NOT WORK, as Sensible noted earlier. it will not read the chip on the speedometer. see ya later $25. crossing my fingers that the BLUE BOARD will.

I had to buy header pins and blue wires in order to connect the clip to the RED BOARD - practiced some soldering during my down time.

Also, getting the needles off were tricky - did not work with fork, plastic remover, etc. I had to use a 3 inch pocket knife and some paper on the face of the dial gauge (similar to removing watch hands) - i felt like the plastic needles could have snapped at any moment.

the key is to really get underneath the circle part of the needle (so the sharp part of the blade is touching the stem, and gently but firmly snap it off.

Hi Porsche, just had to say this thread and a few others linked are an amazing resource.

I have an e46 and do a lot of e46 work and the e46 clusters also use the M35080 variant chips and it is so hard to find open and candid conversations for this type of stuff so its a breath of fresh air to see this going on.

i too purchased the black box R270 that came with a red board. the selling ad stated "Works with all M35080 chips for erase, write and quick erase"

for e46 clusters it is much more difficult to solder to the cluster directly with the 26 pin connector because it requires soldering to several TINY legs of an NEC MCU and it looks like on an e90 you dont have to worry about that.

thus i have chosen to desolder my M35080 chip.

im using a test e46 cluster to practice on and have removed my chip but discovered last night that no matter the orientation i have the chip inside the zif socket adapter, the r270 software always says "NO MODEL" if i choose READ and say YES to CHECK PIN STATE. if i choose NO to check PIN STATE, I just get an error of cant read.

my r270 did not come with any documentation, manual pdf etc.. i am stil having the most difficult time finding something as simple as an R270 26 pin connector pinout guide. like nothing lol.

the best i could find was on the Digital kaos forum where someone took a picture of their 26 pin connector and labeled each wire with little tiny pieces of paper of what they were like VSS, VCC etc but its hard to read from the angles.

how did you know what your pins are?

you made an 8 pin connector and soldered/connected to your Adapter board to the U2 pins but how did you know what each of those U2 pins were?

I have the pin out sheet that for the M35080 ship that shows what pins 1-8 are but besides that I cant go further because I dont have the pinout for the u2 section or the 26 pin r270 connector.

do you know if its possible to use the RED board with the U2 connection of the SOP8 test clip?

for now i was going to just solder wires from the 26 pin connector directly to each leg of the m35080 chip just so i can read and erase and write but i cant even do that with out a pin out sheet of that connector.

thanks for any help and advice with this.

Quote:
Yep, 9 and 18. I use female to male header pin adapters to extend the pins out of the connector housing, then just croc clip onto them to my 12v supply. Any 12v should be good. Doesn't have to be fancy. I have a dedicated bench supply.

I saw in the past where you said just use a SOP8 test clip and it does make sense, do you have a recommendation for a good quality one? looking online it looks like people continually have issues with connection of their clips slipping off, etc but its hard to take those peoples word because they could just have unsteady hands or not being as careful/precise etc

for me i want to use the SOP8 test clip on my e46 cluster leaving the m35080 chip in place since soldering to the tiny legs of the NEC MCU on the e46 cluster is a little beyond my clumsy hands.

do you know if you have to use the PCB adapter board? is there a reason why people arent connecting the 8 pins from the SOP8 test clip directly to the associated wires of the 26 pin rainbow wire connector? made me think that the adapter board was doing some fancy crossing of wires for some resistance somewhere that you dont get with direction connection.

and lastly, does anyone have any reason why the red board doesnt work and the blue one does? i emailed the ebay person last night about this and they are adamant red or blue doesnt matter even though online it has been proven so no free blue board for me there.

would love to know if I could still use the red board with the U2 points and the SOP8 test clip or if im just going to have to shell out for the blue board or solder directly to the 26 pin connector.

thank you so much for any and all help/advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #34
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextelbuddy View Post
Quote:

Hi Porsche, just had to say this thread and a few others linked are an amazing resource.

I have an e46 and do a lot of e46 work and the e46 clusters also use the M35080 variant chips and it is so hard to find open and candid conversations for this type of stuff so its a breath of fresh air to see this going on.

i too purchased the black box R270 that came with a red board. the selling ad stated "Works with all M35080 chips for erase, write and quick erase"

for e46 clusters it is much more difficult to solder to the cluster directly with the 26 pin connector because it requires soldering to several TINY legs of an NEC MCU and it looks like on an e90 you dont have to worry about that.

thus i have chosen to desolder my M35080 chip.

im using a test e46 cluster to practice on and have removed my chip but discovered last night that no matter the orientation i have the chip inside the zif socket adapter, the r270 software always says "NO MODEL" if i choose READ and say YES to CHECK PIN STATE. if i choose NO to check PIN STATE, I just get an error of cant read.

my r270 did not come with any documentation, manual pdf etc.. i am stil having the most difficult time finding something as simple as an R270 26 pin connector pinout guide. like nothing lol.

the best i could find was on the Digital kaos forum where someone took a picture of their 26 pin connector and labeled each wire with little tiny pieces of paper of what they were like VSS, VCC etc but its hard to read from the angles.

how did you know what your pins are?

you made an 8 pin connector and soldered/connected to your Adapter board to the U2 pins but how did you know what each of those U2 pins were?

I have the pin out sheet that for the M35080 ship that shows what pins 1-8 are but besides that I cant go further because I dont have the pinout for the u2 section or the 26 pin r270 connector.

do you know if its possible to use the RED board with the U2 connection of the SOP8 test clip?

for now i was going to just solder wires from the 26 pin connector directly to each leg of the m35080 chip just so i can read and erase and write but i cant even do that with out a pin out sheet of that connector.

thanks for any help and advice with this.

Quote:

I saw in the past where you said just use a SOP8 test clip and it does make sense, do you have a recommendation for a good quality one? looking online it looks like people continually have issues with connection of their clips slipping off, etc but its hard to take those peoples word because they could just have unsteady hands or not being as careful/precise etc

for me i want to use the SOP8 test clip on my e46 cluster leaving the m35080 chip in place since soldering to the tiny legs of the NEC MCU on the e46 cluster is a little beyond my clumsy hands.

do you know if you have to use the PCB adapter board? is there a reason why people arent connecting the 8 pins from the SOP8 test clip directly to the associated wires of the 26 pin rainbow wire connector? made me think that the adapter board was doing some fancy crossing of wires for some resistance somewhere that you dont get with direction connection.

and lastly, does anyone have any reason why the red board doesnt work and the blue one does? i emailed the ebay person last night about this and they are adamant red or blue doesnt matter even though online it has been proven so no free blue board for me there.

would love to know if I could still use the red board with the U2 points and the SOP8 test clip or if im just going to have to shell out for the blue board or solder directly to the 26 pin connector.

thank you so much for any and all help/advice.
I've not seen any success with the red board and the u2 connection. Sorry.

Maybe someone else has?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:34 PM   #35
nextelbuddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 4 door M3

Quote:

Maybe someone else has?
thank you thats fine. would yo happen to know the pinout for the 26 pin rainbow connector and the U2 pins on the adapter board?

I just ordered an SOP8 test clip and would like to try direct wire to the chip itself using the 26 pin connector and the test clip
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #36
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe someone else has?
thank you thats fine. would yo happen to know the pinout for the 26 pin rainbow connector and the U2 pins on the adapter board?

I just ordered an SOP8 test clip and would like to try direct wire to the chip itself using the 26 pin connector and the test clip
The u2 pins are an exact copy of the 8pin eeprom. Pin1 of the chip will be pin 1 of the u2. Etc etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #37
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:

Im also in ATL,
we can check on my R270 if it reads to double check if the reason is your R270
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 11:29 PM   #38
orca4wd
Private
Rep
Drives: X1, Z3M

Rookie wanting to learn how-to swamp out cluster

Purchased an exact replacement E84 cluster from local junk yard. Getting ready to pull out eeprom to reset VIN/miles using R270+ tool. The seller delivery a red color board, despite ordered a blue color. I read posting that red board may not recognize the M35080 chip? My eeprom chip is label as '160 DOWT K424G'. Anyone know what is this chip type (080D0WQ or M35080)? Attached are few pictures on what I believe is the eeprom. Hoping SME can provide feedbacks to kick start this rookie!
Attached Images

Last edited by orca4wd; 01-25-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 02:22 AM   #39
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
Purchased an exact replacement E84 cluster from local junk yard. Getting ready to pull out eeprom to reset VIN/miles using R270+ tool. The seller delivery a red color board, despite ordered a blue color. I read posting that red board may not recognize the M35080 chip? My eeprom chip is label as '160 DOWT K424G'. Anyone know what is this chip type (080D0WQ or M35080)? Attached are few pictures on what I believe is the eeprom. Hoping SME can provide feedbacks to kick start this rookie!
R270 can Read/write to 160DOWT ok. But I don't think it can change odometer. So better hope your cluster has lower odometer reading than the car...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #40
orca4wd
Private
Rep

Quote:
R270 can Read/write to 160DOWT ok. But I don't think it can change odometer. So better hope your cluster has lower odometer reading than the car...

Thank you so much Sensible! The donor odometer should be higher which I can delay to install later to match my cluster. Interesting.. Assume if it can not change odometer which unable reset VIN to 'FF' as well? Does it mean the only option is to purchase a new '160DOWT' chip possibly from eBay? Anyone know of a good source to purchase one?

Also, any idea which wiring pins to connect 12v to light up the odometer donor cluster? I tried pins 9 and 18 which got the cluster needles to move. I would like to bench the donor cluster mileage without plug into my vehicle.
** Just learned by push on mileage button in lower left corner will display odometer with 12v connected to pins 9 & 18 **

Thank you, this is great forum...

Last edited by orca4wd; 01-26-2019 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #41
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca4wd View Post
Quote:

Thank you so much Sensible! The donor odometer should be higher which I can delay to install later to match my cluster. Interesting.. Assume if it can not change odometer which unable reset VIN to 'FF' as well? Does it mean the only option is to purchase a new '160DOWT' chip possibly from eBay? Anyone know of a good source to purchase one?

Also, any idea which wiring pins to connect 12v to light up the odometer donor cluster? I tried pins 9 and 18 which got the cluster needles to move. I would like to bench the donor cluster mileage without plug into my vehicle.
** Just learned by push on mileage button in lower left corner will display odometer with 12v connected to pins 9 & 18 **

Thank you, this is great forum...
Yes. 9 and 18 for 12v power.

The odometer reading is stored in a protected area. On M35080 and 080D0WQ and I think 160D0WQ, R270 can bypass the security even when in circuit.

The VIN does not have such protection and can be erased simply by modifying the dump and writing it back with VIN blanked (FF'd).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #42
orca4wd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes. 9 and 18 for 12v power.

The odometer reading is stored in a protected area. On M35080 and 080D0WQ and I think 160D0WQ, R270 can bypass the security even when in circuit.

The VIN does not have such protection and can be erased simply by modifying the dump and writing it back with VIN blanked (FF'd).
I got the 160DOWT Eeprom first two rows in R270 set to zeros. When I connect 12v, donor odometer reads 999,999 miles. If I install back to my vehicle, will it display the donor miles (not what I want) or my vehicle's miles (21,378)? Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #43
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
yes

I always set to 0101 which is around 3k miles so no surprises with 999
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #44
orca4wd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
yes

I always set to 0101 which is around 3k miles so no surprises with 999
Thank you for your reply Levanime. Just to confirm, are you saying set the first two rows all cells in R270 to 01 instead of 00? Rookie mistake on my part.. sure is a good de-solder eeprom experience.

Last edited by orca4wd; 01-28-2019 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0