E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > No gps signal

08-10-2020, 05:17 AM   #1
HennessyLV
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F06 640d GC

No gps signal

Hi guys, I need your help again...
Long story short- I've completed the non idrive to cic retrofit few weeks ago and it's all coded updated and works as it should except now I'm having a nightmare with the gps antenna. Was working fine till 2 days ago where I went on a long trip where half way through it lost gps signal and the car though I'm still at my home address in UK even though i was in France. What's even worse is that while I'm in the car my samsung phone doesn't get any gps signal at all and also 3 other passengers with 2 iphones and another samsung had no gps. Looks like for some reason the cic/gps antenna is blocking any gps signal completely.
The cic did eventually recognise that I'm abroad and did show that I'm in France but still it's pretty unusable therfore I'm going to disconnect the antena for now so I can use the phone as otherwise we have no nav working at all.
The antena is off ebay but read that people have good luck with it.

Any input is highly appreciated as I'm confused and not sure where to start from with this one.

Thanks beforehand!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Unlikely that the antenna itself is causing an issue.

At worst it would fail to pick up the satellite signals but it would not block other devices nor generate an interfering signal.

It sounds like that there is something in the car emitting interference.

Grab a gps satellite tracker app and while using it walk away from the car at various points in a circle.

You could use it to build a map of sorts to help you pinpoint where the interference is originating from... or a signal scanner could be used...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 03:22 AM   #3
simmonsshorovitz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

I had a similar problem that was solved by buying a new GPS navigator. Garmin DriveSmart 51 NA LMT-S works perfectly and I do not have any problem with signal lose.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:08 AM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennessyLV View Post
Hi guys, I need your help again...
Long story short- I've completed the non idrive to cic retrofit few weeks ago and it's all coded updated and works as it should except now I'm having a nightmare with the gps antenna. Was working fine till 2 days ago where I went on a long trip where half way through it lost gps signal and the car though I'm still at my home address in UK even though i was in France. What's even worse is that while I'm in the car my samsung phone doesn't get any gps signal at all and also 3 other passengers with 2 iphones and another samsung had no gps. Looks like for some reason the cic/gps antenna is blocking any gps signal completely.
The cic did eventually recognise that I'm abroad and did show that I'm in France but still it's pretty unusable therfore I'm going to disconnect the antena for now so I can use the phone as otherwise we have no nav working at all.
The antena is off ebay but read that people have good luck with it.

Any input is highly appreciated as I'm confused and not sure where to start from with this one.

Thanks beforehand!
Right, OK so where have you mounted the GPS antenna firstly? Stuck to the windscreen? On top of the dash? Underneath something? There is a good reason for asking, depending on your answer

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:13 AM   #5
bmw-extreme
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90

Recently I've retrofitted cic with an ebay gps antenna. So, l've noticed something. Wherever I place the antenna, it shouldn't be below something. It doesn't matter if it's thin or thick. For example, if I place it at the corner of the A-pillar on the dash, it successfully receives the signal in few minutes. However if I fix it below the A-pillar trim, it doesn't work. No matter which antenna I use. So, I also tried it with other brand gps antennas. However in my other brand car, it succesfully works when I hide the antenna below A-pillar trim. I think it's not due to the antenna, but due to the gps receiver inside the cic or the material of the trim. As if Bmw has produced a trim just like a tank armor.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 05:55 AM   #6
rachaelwools
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda RX-8

I am also facing a similar problem with my GPS device. I drive a Mazda RX8 and I just recently installed a GPS device so that I could reach my new office the Yellowstone jacket company. But it then started causing problem within it and now I dont know how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 04:59 AM   #7
toritedder8
Banned
Rep
Drives: honda car

I'm having some trouble with my car's GPS signal and I'm hoping someone here can help me out as its causing problem for me to reach my james bond leather jackets . I recently purchased a new car and it came with a built-in GPS system. However, I'm having trouble getting a reliable signal. I'm in an area with good cell phone reception, so I'm not sure why the GPS signal is so weak.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 10:24 AM   #8
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

GPS reception has nothing to do with cell phones.

GPS needs good line of site to the satellites in orbit.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 06:48 AM   #9
Somi1
Rep
Drives: bmw e87 2010

Question

I am successfully update the maps to 2024 version, but GPS can not find me on the maps... When i enter in secret menu, it tells me that there is not a single satellite and the year is 1980... Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?
PS. When i move the car, the arrow on the map also moves, but in the wrong direction.
Here is some photos:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 01:24 PM   #10
lopiccolo23
Registered
Rep
Drives: corolla

If you're experiencing "No GPS Signal" on your device, several factors could contribute to the issue. Firstly, check if your device's location services are enabled. Ensure that the GPS antenna or sensor is functioning correctly and that there are no physical obstructions hindering its signal reception. Additionally, verify if the application requiring GPS has the necessary permissions to access your device's location. If the problem persists, consider restarting your device, as this can sometimes resolve temporary glitches. Much like troubleshooting for a GPS signal, individuals tracking daily PCSO results might encounter issues with internet connectivity or website access. Ensure a stable internet connection and visit Daily PCSO results to access the latest lottery outcomes, and if problems persist, check network settings and connectivity.
Appreciate 0