E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Alcantera yay or nay

09-23-2021, 08:43 PM   #1
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Alcantera yay or nay

Been looking at the alcantera shifter and shift boot - but concerned how it will hold up and ease of cleaning

The steering wheel and shifter get so dirty from daily use I would never want alacantera steering wheel either

Anyone have and how is it keeping that porous material clean? Ever wipe down your steering wheel and see all the black dirt on your microfiber?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 07:55 AM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I would only rock the alcantera shift boot and parking brake. 100% agree about the steering wheel for a daily driver, which my 335i usually is during the summer months. Not worth the hassle of cleaning and the cost. Hard charging track day? Mountain roads? Wear gloves. Really the only way to keep it clean.
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      09-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #3
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
I would only rock the alcantera shift boot and parking brake. 100% agree about the steering wheel for a daily driver, which my 335i usually is during the summer months. Not worth the hassle of cleaning and the cost. Hard charging track day? Mountain roads? Wear gloves. Really the only way to keep it clean.
Yup I figured that and there is no way I'm wearing driving gloves !
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:25 PM   #4
DoJu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 10' BMW 328i Xdrive Sedan

I had an Alcantara wheel, to keep it looking good you just need to clean it every time you clean the car.

The extra work was totally worth it for me, it completed the ebrake and shifter nicely. Shifter and ebrake can go a month or 2 without needing cleaning.

I sold it when I decided to sell my car, but then ended up not selling the car so I'll probably get another one before the end of they year.

Also of you ever get the chance drive a car with an Alcantara wheel and gloves and you'll never look at steering wheels the same way.
Appreciate 1