E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Any one on Forum have FK AK Streets coilovers in there E90??-Pics icluded -

02-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
pearse9000rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 lci

Exclamation Any one on Forum have FK AK Streets coilovers in there E90??-Pics icluded -

Any one on Forum have FK AK Streets coilovers in there E90??

hello all,

anyways ,yeah iv unfortunetly just bought and installed fk ak streets coilovers at 180.00 brand new wit 1 years warrenty,
have car sitting nice not too low to alow driveability,only have coilovers in 2 to 3 weeks now,installed Myself.pics below of ride height......

iv read up in different forums and posts and threads and i seem to be expierienceing similar problems to all others with fk ak streets

.my problems with them are

when going over very slighty bumpty terrain eg average lane or gravel yard or rough tar or cobble stones etc at 5/10MPH you can kinda here slight repeated bumping/knocking,very slight and irregular but irritating

only happens at 5-10mph on certain rough terrain's

i investigated it by jumping on sill on p/s and d/s(dont worrk id old sheet on sill) to listen and watch for sound or play and found 1 top mount with alot of play in topmount bearing,
but iv just replaced it for a brand new top mount with perfect bearing,still seem to be getting slight bumping/knocking at front?hard to no which side

can hear it by jusmping on sills

iv both shortend ARB links installed in front which are supplyed with fk ak kit

(are these eccentials,would OEM e90 ones not do?)

im not sure if my car is sitting on bump stops when on the ground normal,il check later

just wondering how is everyone else gtting on with there FK aK steets coilovers in there e 90s

suspension is great at all speeds over 10mph no matter what terrain bumps etc no knockin etc at any other times

and have yous any advice

thanks Pearse

i quote from another person i no who run these coilovers in a pre lci e90,

I tried absolutely everything to make them work, had them out and in 3 times and they were just a disaster. They are terrible build quality so you will probably always have some form of knocking no matter what you do. Not good for such a tight car! I just cut my losses in the end and bought an ebiach pro kit (springs), lowered 40mm on m sport shocks and the set up was perfect. The FK drop links started knocking first, then the top mounts, I dont think the stock top mounts suit the coilover tops and mine were knocking there too. I tried modifying the mounts, removing the helper spring, adding more rubber supports and nothing worked. They are still lying in my garage in bits! Just a shame you didnt mention them before you bought them,im also aware of another forum member who got fk ak for his e90 got them too and ended up with the same problems!

just interesting to hear your storys.....

best selling coilover for e90 in UK so plenty e90's out here with them

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

You get what you pay for. And with those, you do nothing but ruin the entire driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
NormanHomes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320D

not had any experience with those but i took a dive and tried some of those hot tuning ones for £164 and was very pleasantly suprised not had a single issue since fitting and the ride is 1000 times better then the o/e SE suspension

i did have FK's on my old golf and they also used shorter droplinks supplied with them and i too had countless knocks and troubles with those, and then shortly after replacing the links that i had to buy from germany, both front shocks exploded!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
pearse9000rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep

cheers for both replys so far
      02-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

The Bilsteins (early) suffered this issue after some use.

It was the upper bushes in the strut causing the piston to stick.

Indeed I have seen this myself and had exactly the same process you have, new turret tops etc.
There 'seems' like there is play in the turrets, but it was a knock from the pistons binding.

One thing that can cause similar issues however, and if the dampers are new might suggest they are okay, is assembly of the washers at the top of the pistons.
Do you have the belville washer the correct way up?
      02-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
pearse9000rpm
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
The Bilsteins (early) suffered this issue after some use.

It was the upper bushes in the strut causing the piston to stick.

Indeed I have seen this myself and had exactly the same process you have, new turret tops etc.
There 'seems' like there is play in the turrets, but it was a knock from the pistons binding.

One thing that can cause similar issues however, and if the dampers are new might suggest they are okay, is assembly of the washers at the top of the pistons.
Do you have the belville washer the correct way up?
thanks for reply

iv the belville washer edges faceing up,i think this is correct?

it inturn rests on a washer,
then washer rests on coilover alloy spring holder

swapped fk ak rear shocks today for my own OEM ones that i took out and thats put 90% of noise out driving over rough surface's

still little road noise/quiet rattle from front over rough surfaces
      09-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
ChrizLoud
F11 520D LCI - Stage I
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520D LCI - Stage I

I have them to.
After install, 1 month quiet.. now i have clunking noise in low speeds going on rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Mit123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2011

Bringing a very old thread back here!

I've been looking at these.

Did anyone figure out a fix for this issue?

Are there any other adjustable options (coilovers) available in this kind of price range?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
ChrizLoud
F11 520D LCI - Stage I
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520D LCI - Stage I

Atually i did forget to update this. For me it was just a matter of bad sway bar links. I guess the once thats included in the kit sucks. After changing them to another brand problem was gone.
Appreciate 0