E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 330D - Brakes not working after replacing vacuum pump seals

07-16-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 330D - Brakes not working after replacing vacuum pump seals

Hi All,

Going to go out again later or tomorrow to have a look but I replaced both the inner and outer seals of the brake vacuum pump, the inner seal was a bit of a nightmare because the metal cylinder bit fell out, it didn't seem hard to put back together though, it was just the metal cylinder but goes in, then a metal piece with two prongs that go into the camshaft and finally the plastic bit goes into the middle.

I'm pretty certain the metal piece went into the camshaft okay because I done it around 4 times and it seems that if the metal piece never went into the holes then the vacuum pump won't push all the way in.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas? No dodgy noises or anything but when I put my ear to it the vacuum pump wasn't clanging like I expected it to

Three pieces separate (cylinder bit, crankshaft piece and plastic piece)

Crankshaft piece Ontop of cylinder piece

Finally plastic piece slid through crankshaft piece and cylinder bit to hold it in place.

This is a video after rebuilding it and using new engine oil (I did acciddntly put the center bit on the wrong way around which a quickly changed afterwards)

Checking the bvp is on camshaft sprocket

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 07-16-2020 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Okay, so a local bmw shop sold me another brake vacuum pump for £15 and told me to install this and then remove the brake vacuum hose from near the brake booster and see if vacuum is there. Strangely enough there is vacuum at the hose, so I removed the brake check valve from the brake booster to check if the rubber diaphragm was allowing air to be sucked but not blown into the booster and sure enough the valve works as expected.

So now I can go one step further back to the booster itself but its begs the question, why? This all started after changing two seals on the brake vacuum pump.
Appreciate 0