E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > It will never be the same...

11-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #23
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

I agree esp. About headlights, I would rather have used OEM than new aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracfour View Post
any one had any experience with Geico.
Yep from what I know they estimate with used and aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #25
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
I'm surprised that people are saying all these nice about geico. Some lady hit me from behind one time. Back then I was not in e90post, and did not realize it was a chance to get a different bumper than the one I had. Geico wanted to install a replica of the OEM bumper, I fought with them and finally got a new OEM bumper. They took care of me in the end

But after I had that hassle with them, I switched.
OP, definitely a chance to upgrade here man.
I find it weird too. They tried to fix my buddy's car with "USED" parts. When he refused, it delayed the process. I had them for my windshield. Even though it couldn't pass inspection because it was in driver's view, they ARGUED with me saying I should repair it. Then they wouldn't pay for OEM.

I've said it before, in the end, THEY PAID FOR OEM. But why make your customer have to argue and go back and forth? I left them, and then someone calls and tells me I should have told them I was going to switch, they would have lowered my premium to keep me.

GEICO a stand up co.? Yeah, if you have a govt. worker's mentality.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #26
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Milking the insurance company just causes rates to rise for everyone. Insurance company just screws the honest people because of the dishonest.

Only accept oem parts cost 1 they are always worth more. 2 wasnt your fault at all. Your car needs to be restored to the condition it was prior to the accident.
I respect what you have said but it's bull shit.
The real reason that insurance rates go up and stays up is because people are WILLING to pay for the premiums.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
Joe-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe- View Post
Milking the insurance company just causes rates to rise for everyone. Insurance company just screws the honest people because of the dishonest.

Only accept oem parts cost 1 they are always worth more. 2 wasnt your fault at all. Your car needs to be restored to the condition it was prior to the accident.
I respect what you have said but it's bull shit.
The real reason that insurance rates go up and stays up is because people are WILLING to pay for the premiums.
Willing? You are required to have insurance. When each company quotes you within the same range of price its not that you are willing to pay you dont have a choice.

Insurance rates continue to go up because of the number of claims within your state pool that is why people with no accidents no tickets rates still go up every year because the number of claims are on the rise not because people are willing to pay...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
ndog14
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

You have the right to new, OEM parts. If you hit a tree and your insurance wanted to use aftermarket parts then that's what you get for agreeing to your policy. You did not agree to her policy when she bought it, she did. You should not be penalized for her choices, especially getting the brake and gas pedal mixed up.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #29
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post
Been with Geico for 15+ years (my wife and I), a few accidents (by both of us + the guests we had staying with us and using our cars), latest as recent as a week ago, and have always had a great experience with them.
Glad you had a good experiance with geico. But as far as I'm concerned, geico is terrible. My son (we have St Farm) was rear ended by a kid who's parents had geico. Took geico over two weeks to investigate if the kid was infact covered on parents policy. Once that was done, my son had to make an appointment with the geico adjuster (another 3 days of waiting) to estimate the damage. After that, our body shop found damage the adjuster missed and it required another 4 days of waiting for geico adjuster to come out to the body shop and authorize repairs. All in all, what should have been handled in 2 weeks took a month to get done.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #30
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Bad stories can be told about all the major insurance companies.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #31
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

I got backed into a few weeks back and took the opportunity to do a M3 replica front bumper cover. Kinda a silver lining situation I think. Wish I'd been lucky enough to do new lights!
Regardless I think you're within your rights to push for OEM stuff. Had you wrecked your own car maybe not, per terms of the policy. But as it's not your fault at all you should be put back to whole.

All insurance companies have good stories about them and all of them have bad stories. As someone in the industry... Be reasonable, if you get rude they'll throw it right back and they're the one writing the check. Plus they have more legal support than you. Don't be a push over but don't pull an attitude, it won't go well.

I tell people all the time, the handling of a claim is pivotal on 2 things, the type of day the adjustor is having and how you get along with them. Sad but true.
      11-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #32
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkkvv5 View Post
Glad you had a good experiance with geico. But as far as I'm concerned, geico is terrible. My son (we have St Farm) was rear ended by a kid who's parents had geico. Took geico over two weeks to investigate if the kid was infact covered on parents policy. Once that was done, my son had to make an appointment with the geico adjuster (another 3 days of waiting) to estimate the damage. After that, our body shop found damage the adjuster missed and it required another 4 days of waiting for geico adjuster to come out to the body shop and authorize repairs. All in all, what should have been handled in 2 weeks took a month to get done.
I will give you another example.
I was just recently involved in an "accident" -- pulling into the parking space, half way in, a girl in the parked car next to me just opened her door and I ramed it (at <5 mph). I immediately reported the details to Geico and the very next day went on a business trip to Asia.
Two weeks later (yesterday) I returned and found a week old letter in my mail box stating that they have paid out to the other owner fo the damages I caused. Seems pretty fast, IMO. I did not agree that it was my fault, however, Geico said they will take care of them and they did.
Today, I took my car to BMW and geico wrote them a check for $2,500 to fix the bumper (cracked), hood (barely scratched) and headlight (scratches)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #33
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
OP, go through your insurance company, get them to fix your car with OEM parts and file a claim against Geico. Problem solved!

Things like oem bumper, hood, rad support, can be found at salvage yards. My body shop used these parts over aftermarket and reconditioned them.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
ugknite
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi

My car has been rear ended thrice now. Twice the other guy had Geico. Both times horrible experience. It took four months and million phone calls to Geico before I could get my check. The only thing Geico had to reimburse me for was the rental car because I didn't get it through my Insurance. They would only give me two days of rental when the car was in the garage for 14 days.

The third experience was with Liberty Mutual, which is also my Insurance company. The experience with them couldn't have been smoother.

I literally hate Geico.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugknite View Post
My car has been rear ended thrice now. Twice the other guy had Geico. Both times horrible experience. It took four months and million phone calls to Geico before I could get my check. The only thing Geico had to reimburse me for was the rental car because I didn't get it through my Insurance. They would only give me two days of rental when the car was in the garage for 14 days.

The third experience was with Liberty Mutual, which is also my Insurance company. The experience with them couldn't have been smoother.

I literally hate Geico.
What was your insurance doing during all that???
I believe they should take care of things with Geico, not you calling them million times?
In my case, above, it was all betweeh the other owner's insurance and Geico (my insuance). The other owne never had to call Geico...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #36
LegacyElite
COS Thug Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Super Sweet Accident

Could not repair the Legacy GT.
Attached Images

2007 BMW 328i Sedan= First Bimmer
2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Limited= Totaled
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

You have OEM parts on your car now, they need to return it to the condition it was in before she hit it. That is putting back OEM parts. Aftermarket is NEVER the same quality as OEM. Don't accept that bullshit. She caused the accident, not you.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #38
MrRager
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

i wouldnt say it would never be the same. not enough damage to say that. if anything itll be better than before if you go about it correctly
      11-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #39
iczz
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 / F10 / F80

hope everything go well.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
Karbon
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

I hear this crap all the time with insurance trying to save themselves a buck by repairing your car with cheap crap.
My father has worked in the Insurance industry for 36 years now. He's seen it all.

If you are the victim of an accident and the other party is at fault, the at fault persons insurance MUST repair the car to the state it was in prior to the acccident.

The insurance company can not say no and tell you that you can only get aftermarket parts. They ABSOLUTELY MUST put factory parts on your car if you had factory parts and you request it.

If they are telling you no then they're wrong. However, be aware that this doesn't include upgrading you to different factory parts, this means original factory parts for your car as it came.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #41
kfriceman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 xDrive E90

The option for the insurance company to use aftermarket vs. OEM parts will definitely be stated in your policy, no doubt and its not worth arguing, it is clearly their option....most people never read the fine print.

Here is how to get around this issue, the vehicle must be restored to all OEM tolerances or it has to be considered a total loss. The person(s) who can veto the insurance company's aftermarket vs. OEM parts choice is the repair shop, if the aftermarket parts do not meet the exact tolerances/fit of the OEM parts the shop can reject the aftermarket part and require the OEM replacement.

I had this same issue on an bumper replacement for my ML430, the insurance selected aftermarket bumper fit poorly and the shop rejected the part and then used an OEM replacement instead...done and done.

You will have to jump through the aftermarket hoop but talk to your installer of your expectations...they will know exactly what you are talking about....most aftermarket parts never fit properly and repair shops reject them all the time.

Yes, there are OEM specific replacement policies available but one has to ask and pay for such policy.

-Kevin
Appreciate 0