E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > High Mileage 330i - MILVS + Headers

11-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #23
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saico View Post
What exactly needs to be changed in the tune for the MILVs to work? Is that documented anywhere?
Bump, I am interested as well. Is there an "off the shelf" tune available for 3IM / MILVS combo for an N52? In my case E82 6 speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #24
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Bob at StageFP literally created the tune for these, he will have a off the shelf tune available. I just spoke to him Friday actually.
      04-28-2022, 10:18 PM   #25
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
I've been enjoying my 330i for almost 10 years. I'm nearly at 300k km's and it still runs like a dream. Now I have maintained it very pro-actively so that is to be expected. Check my garage for mod details, I've done most of the main bolt on options available for the N52 except the MILVS and headers. What I'm looking for maybe a little push from the forums about HOW noticeable these items are with respect to performance. People who have done these items either on their own or together, how happy are you with the gains?
To revive this thread as an update I've jumped ahead and went with headers (https://roundelwerk.com/products/bmw...ormance-header) and MILVS. I have a back up car so I just worked on this over a bunch of days in small bites, which I find so much more helpful and less rage inducing when you're not under the clock. I've decided to do all the work myself. The MILV install was pretty simple now that Marty has shaved off the ridge you need to slip under the spring. He is calling it the EASY MILVS which really did make it easy. No spacers, or rope methods. I just followed his simple steps and a little elbow grease to pop them in. No springs or rockers popped out. I had to mail out my DME to StageFP for tuning, those guys were super easy to deal with and had it flashed right away. Getting all my new gaskets and parts to put my car back together on Monday, DME to follow shortly. I'll be following this up with an impression once I've had a chance to let my adaptations... adapt. I found the header job to be manageable, just super tedious and tight. My arms looked like I lost a fight with a cat after I removed all 16 nuts trying to squeeze in the space. I think doing the headers with the valve cover removed and the associated wiring harness helped with clearance. I did everything from up top except the flange from the mid pipes. Had to cut off the studs as the rust was so bad. All and all I definitely had this job being much more difficult in my head. Lets just hope it all goes back together smoothly. I'm leaving in my secondary cats to help with smell. I am running a PE setup with resonator delete, so I expect the noise to be obnoxious. If so I'm going to attempt to reinstall my stock resonators in an attempt to quell the noise. This little job has reinvigorated my love for this old girl. I can't wait to get it out on the track this season and see how these mods impact my lap times. I didn't know how much a labour of love this car would have been when I first bought it nearly 15 years ago, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it and will probably end up stripping it down and going full racecar, who knows.

Aside: While I was in there I also checked and cleaned my vanos solenoid check valve/filter screens. Even after 300k kms they were sparkling clean.

Last edited by Volasko; 04-28-2022 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 5
Biginboca3763.50
72GMC81.00
Noir883.00
      04-29-2022, 03:22 PM   #26
AlexKoast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 TiAg 335i 6MT

Quote:
To revive this thread as an update I've jumped ahead and went with headers (https://roundelwerk.com/products/bmw...ormance-header) and MILVS. I have a back up car so I just worked on this over a bunch of days in small bites, which I find so much more helpful and less rage inducing when you're not under the clock. I've decided to do all the work myself. The MILV install was pretty simple now that Marty has shaved off the ridge you need to slip under the spring. He is calling it the EASY MILVS which really did make it easy. No spacers, or rope methods. I just followed his simple steps and a little elbow grease to pop them in. No springs or rockers popped out. I had to mail out my DME to StageFP for tuning, those guys were super easy to deal with and had it flashed right away. Getting all my new gaskets and parts to put my car back together on Monday, DME to follow shortly. I'll be following this up with an impression once I've had a chance to let my adaptations... adapt. I found the header job to be manageable, just super tedious and tight. My arms looked like I lost a fight with a cat after I removed all 16 nuts trying to squeeze in the space. I think doing the headers with the valve cover removed and the associated wiring harness helped with clearance. I did everything from up top except the flange from the mid pipes. Had to cut off the studs as the rust was so bad. All and all I definitely had this job being much more difficult in my head. Lets just hope it all goes back together smoothly. I'm leaving in my secondary cats to help with smell. I am running a PE setup with resonator delete, so I expect the noise to be obnoxious. If so I'm going to attempt to reinstall my stock resonators in an attempt to quell the noise. This little job has reinvigorated my love for this old girl. I can't wait to get it out on the track this season and see how these mods impact my lap times. I didn't know how much a labour of love this car would have been when I first bought it nearly 15 years ago, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it and will probably end up stripping it down and going full racecar, who knows.

Aside: While I was in there I also checked and cleaned my vanos solenoid check valve/filter screens. Even after 300k kms they were sparkling clean.
Excited to hear some soundbites. I just ordered the Roundelwerk headers for my 330i 6MT last week. I'm also running a PE exhaust and keeping secondary cats. Did the headers come with fresh gaskets? Did you order anything else in the process? I've had mine for about 6 years now and am pretty reluctant to sell ever after looking at a few 335i's. I'm @Axel.Koast on IG if you want to compare notes.
      05-07-2022, 01:12 AM   #27
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKoast View Post
Excited to hear some soundbites. I just ordered the Roundelwerk headers for my 330i 6MT last week. I'm also running a PE exhaust and keeping secondary cats. Did the headers come with fresh gaskets? Did you order anything else in the process? I've had mine for about 6 years now and am pretty reluctant to sell ever after looking at a few 335i's. I'm @Axel.Koast on IG if you want to compare notes.
The headers come with full gaskets on both sides and mid pipe flange hardware.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 10:39 AM   #28
Volasko
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Just an update, I've had this installed and going for a few weeks now. I haven't had the time to update my videos or full impressions. Lets just say the old girl is a bit of a ripper now. The noise is obnoxious when cold, but on the track when the whole system is fully warmed up, the noise is pure BMW straight 6 bliss. The new power is noticeable and appreciated. I have a bunch of track videos of some flyby's I will post. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 01:15 PM   #29
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

The PE is just too obnoxious with headers in my opinion, and it doesn't even flow that well. But looking forward to driving impressions.
      07-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #30
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:

Hope your tune doesn't come plagued with a 2D59 error code + limp mode like mine did with an AA tune. I have almost FBO mods, except that I didn't end up putting the MILVs in.

Anyways, I've put my MILVs onto an N55 motor on an F15 X5, don't have a tune for the MILVs yet, but running some MHD canned tunes and got some great butt dyno's already.

Happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #31
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupetc View Post
Hope your tune doesn't come plagued with a 2D59 error code + limp mode like mine did with an AA tune. I have almost FBO mods, except that I didn't end up putting the MILVs in.

Anyways, I've put my MILVs onto an N55 motor on an F15 X5, don't have a tune for the MILVs yet, but running some MHD canned tunes and got some great butt dyno's already.

Happy motoring.
I have a set for my N55 - PLEASE SHARE LOGS! You’ll need a custom tune, cause the valverronic tables need to be adjusted.

I remember your issues with the AA tune, what a debacle
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 03:52 PM   #32
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I have a set for my N55 - PLEASE SHARE LOGS! You’ll need a custom tune, cause the valverronic tables need to be adjusted.

I remember your issues with the AA tune, what a debacle
Thanks for remembering. After all this time, can you believe it? Still no real solutions from AA. I'm just now very used to driving the car and stay closer to the right hand lane in case it throws the limp mode again.

As for sharing the LOGs on N55, I didn't buy the monitoring package on MHD, but that should come in soon since I'll be trying it out on Stage 2+ by end of year, and lots of oversight will be necessary to make sure I don't screw the car up. By the way, on the N55, I've also taken the motor out for a 6-month rebuild. It's now fitted with CP pistons, Manley rods, Cerakote Piston coating, MILVs and most of the FBO's already in. So if I'm adventurous enough I may upgrade the fuel pump and the turbo, try bringing it to 600+ horsepower. I know it's an SUV, and 400-500 is plenty, but I meant for it to be a good sleeper, so all the prep work has to be done first.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 08:01 PM   #33
mebespencer
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Does anyone know if there are any currently viable tuning options for an N52 with MILVS that don't require sending in your DME physically? I was absolutely convinced I needed to do these until seeing that StageFP requires the DME to be mailed. My E90 is my daily so the mail turnaround to/from the east coast would be a brutal stint to be without a car for. I've also heard that the Valvetronic can adapt to the MILVS to a degree without a tune, but I doubt the performance results from just passive adaption would at all justify the $350 or so for the parts. If anyone has any insight please let me know!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #34
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebespencer View Post
Does anyone know if there are any currently viable tuning options for an N52 with MILVS that don't require sending in your DME physically? I was absolutely convinced I needed to do these until seeing that StageFP requires the DME to be mailed. My E90 is my daily so the mail turnaround to/from the east coast would be a brutal stint to be without a car for. I've also heard that the Valvetronic can adapt to the MILVS to a degree without a tune, but I doubt the performance results from just passive adaption would at all justify the $350 or so for the parts. If anyone has any insight please let me know!
You can't use the BimmerGeeks cables? I just spoke to Bob and he said there were some hiccups they were working through on the new tuning platform, so I would hold on and not give up.

And no, the car will not adapt to give more power with them. It will drive like and feel like normal. Trust me, the additional power they add when tuned is unmistakable.
Noir883.00
      07-13-2022, 12:31 AM   #35
Hotter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 328i -> 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I just spoke to Bob and he said there were some hiccups they were working through on the new tuning platform, so I would hold on and not give up.
Would be interested to if you don't need to ship your DME. But this tune wont work with automatic GM transmission? Transmission will shift sooner?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #36
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotter View Post
Would be interested to if you don't need to ship your DME. But this tune wont work with automatic GM transmission? Transmission will shift sooner?
The extended redline tunes won't work, but you don't need it on the 3 Stage manifold. These tunes do work with automatics.
      07-28-2022, 07:32 PM   #37
schwing
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 SGM 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebespencer View Post
Contact Bimmerlabs for MILVs tune. I installed the tune with WinKFP - BMW Coding Tools on my laptop.
Appreciate 0