E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B14 PSS

05-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Bilstein B14 PSS

Hey guys,

Does anyone have experience with the Bilstein B14 PSS? I have a 2013 335is and it's currently on H&R springs and Koni shocks (orange non adjustable) and I been wanting to upgrade to something that's a bit more responsive and a little more comfortable at the same time. I also have the M3 front control arms, but have not installed them yet as I'm waiting to tackle everything at once.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I even thought about the Bilsten B12 Pro kit.

Bilstein B12 Pro Kit: https://x-ph.com/bilstein-b12-pro-kit-bmw-3-series/

Bilstein B14 PSS: https://x-ph.com/bilstein-b14-pss-su...n-kit-bmw-e9x/
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
mebespencer
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
While I can't comment on the PSS specifically, I have a set of PSS10 B16s and they're probably the best purchase I've made for my car. I would guess that the factory damping on the B14 is somewhere in the middle of the PSS10 adjustment range, and I normally run mine on setting 4/10 (with 1 being softest) without issue as a daily. They're better with bumps than my stock sport suspension with Dinan springs, which would often pop out my center vent/speaker shroud on my dashboard over potholes . Handling wise they bring so much to the table in terms of immediate turn-in response, steady state mid-corner grip, and overall confidence in the cars handling especially over road imperfections. I added the M3 fronts a few months down the line and... holy shit. I'm still on all-season rubber up front and I struggle to get the front end to even chirp on the hardest of turns. Turn-in is incredible, adding or removing lock mid-corner to adjust your trajectory is a piece of cake, and the car just feels willing to pile on the G's whenever I ask it to. Bilsteins coupled with some choice M3 suspension bits make this chassis the perfect daily sports car. Just this month I drove from New York to the Bay Area and immediately mobbed my car in the canyons the day after I got home... Bilsteins really are the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and performance.
Appreciate 2
_N54299.50
      05-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebespencer View Post
While I can't comment on the PSS specifically, I have a set of PSS10 B16s and they're probably the best purchase I've made for my car. I would guess that the factory damping on the B14 is somewhere in the middle of the PSS10 adjustment range, and I normally run mine on setting 4/10 (with 1 being softest) without issue as a daily. They're better with bumps than my stock sport suspension with Dinan springs, which would often pop out my center vent/speaker shroud on my dashboard over potholes . Handling wise they bring so much to the table in terms of immediate turn-in response, steady state mid-corner grip, and overall confidence in the cars handling especially over road imperfections. I added the M3 fronts a few months down the line and... holy shit. I'm still on all-season rubber up front and I struggle to get the front end to even chirp on the hardest of turns. Turn-in is incredible, adding or removing lock mid-corner to adjust your trajectory is a piece of cake, and the car just feels willing to pile on the G's whenever I ask it to. Bilsteins coupled with some choice M3 suspension bits make this chassis the perfect daily sports car. Just this month I drove from New York to the Bay Area and immediately mobbed my car in the canyons the day after I got home... Bilsteins really are the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and performance.
Thanks for your honest feedback. I ended up ordering the Bilstein B12 Cup Kit. I'm a simple guy and i don't really feel like messing around with adjustable coils trying to get the ride height to where i want it to be. I'm almost certain ill be satisfied with the results especially mated with the M3 lower control arms. I also ordered the 034 rear sub-frame inserts just to help the rear end stay more planted
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 04:27 PM   #4
mebespencer
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Coming back to this thread many months later with a lot more miles on my car, and I'm browsing around for some rear end mods to do in my not-so-distant future. When I got some hi-perf all-seasons all around the car, my biggest complaint was not steady-state grip (of which there was plenty) but transient "floatiness" in the rear end immediately upon turn-in. This is probably exaggerated by my tires not being super sharp summers & having M3 bits in the front end, but I feel like there's a lack of immediate on-center feel in the rear axle. Did you feel like the subframe inserts you installed improved this area at all? Are there any other mods you've done since that have further sharpened things up? TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:25 AM   #5
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
A rear sway bar might help with the floatiness that you don't want in the rear. Tires and wheels also matter a lot. All seasons tend to be floaty and even the cheaper summers. You could run a wider wheel with the same diameter tire to get a bit of stretch and better responsiveness