E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 335IS Questions

02-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #45
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
Yeah see that makes more sense. I'm 33, both my wife and I make six figures each, own a house, and still can't see myself buying a car in the $50k range yet lol.
Damn how come? Like I know life is not cheap haha but by that much?

Doesn't help my future aspirations haha

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-19-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #46
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post

Everyone is different. You can probably afford it by yourself but it just depends on your life goals, etc. Don't get me wrong, we are saving a lot of that money at the end of the month and I know I could technically get a newer GT-R now but it's just hard to justify. I think I'm getting old lol.

The CEO at our company drives an M4, for reference, and he probably makes three times what I make if not more. You will be fine since you're planning things out 4-6 years out.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #47
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Everyone is different. You can probably afford it by yourself but it just depends on your life goals, etc. Don't get me wrong, we are saving a lot of that money at the end of the month and I know I could technically get a newer GT-R now but it's just hard to justify. I think I'm getting old lol.

The CEO at our company drives an M4, for reference, and he probably makes three times what I make if not more. You will be fine since you're planning things out 4-6 years out.
Yeah I guess I'll see what the future holds lol.

And I mean his his probably leased right or a recent year. I'll never really see myself buying one brand new or leasing one every 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #48
N54Society
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I guess I'll see what the future holds lol.

And I mean his his probably leased right or a recent year. I'll never really see myself buying one brand new or leasing one every 3 years.
Yeah, it's a 2018 on lease. I wouldn't buy a new one either.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 07:50 PM   #49
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
When are you thinking of upgrading?
After 4 to 6 years for sure.

But seeing the rod bearing issues and what not scares me a bit in if my engine will actually last that lone. Although it seems more prevalent on N55 but yeah..
Rod bearing issue on the e90 M3 is not a huge deal breaker. I've looked into it. The parts are around $600.00 or so. Basically, if you can change out turbos on an N54, you can do that job.

There is basically two main theories as to why it happens and you just need to do your research on decide which theory you believe in most. Some actual hard data on the upgraded rod bearings is starting to come out. If enough of the data is realized, it could sway a person one way or the other a lot easier.

Overall, I'd say the e90 M3 is probably more reliable than a 335i (n54), from what I've read.

There's a lot more maintenance on one in terms of the frequency of fluid swaps & oil changes though, and those fluids aren't cheap.

The other quirk on them is the throttle body actuators. You can get an upgraded version of them with a lifetime warranty for a fraction of the cost of new ones on FCP Euro.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:59 PM   #50
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Rod bearing issue on the e90 M3 is not a huge deal breaker. I've looked into it. The parts are around $600.00 or so. Basically, if you can change out turbos on an N54, you can do that job.

There is basically two main theories as to why it happens and you just need to do your research on decide which theory you believe in most. Some actual hard data on the upgraded rod bearings is starting to come out. If enough of the data is realized, it could sway a person one way or the other a lot easier.

Overall, I'd say the e90 M3 is probably more reliable than a 335i (n54), from what I've read.

There's a lot more maintenance on one in terms of the frequency of fluid swaps & oil changes though, and those fluids aren't cheap.

The other quirk on them is the throttle body actuators. You can get an upgraded version of them with a lifetime warranty for a fraction of the cost of new ones on FCP Euro.
Oh trust me I know about the E92 M3... I've been studying it for over a year before buying the 335is since that was the car I always wanted..

I just didn't like the fact that at some point in it's life I would have to start the car with 10W-60 oil at -20c ... just didn't seem proper car for that. And yeah the rod bearing could easily be replaced but I mean I wasn't to sure doing that either.. when I saw some mains went out aswell I crossed it out but it seems to really just be rods.

But I was talking about my current car not the E92 M3. On the N55 section there is a lot of issues of engine dying after a OFHG change or just dying like that due to rod bearing seizing up. I know I've got a N54T and the theories on why it happens is till vague (production year rod bearings issue or something that is N55 specefic), it's just to vague to know.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #51
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

I was choosing between the 335is and m3 and nearly went with the m3, but the deciding factor for me was torque. m3 just does not make enough torque or have the same power potential for me without supercharging, and long ago in my ricer days having a b16a civic gave me a need torque complex.

I actually would have gone with a 2016 Camaro 2SS, but they were slightly out of my price range and the visibility is horrendous
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:27 AM   #52
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Don't do it man. N5x components love to break, and every single part you'll have to replace is expensive. I'll be 18 in a couple months and although I love my 06 330xi it has chewed out my wallet since I got it. Especially since my driving experience was less than a year when I got it. Ended up getting sideswiped while backing up, freaked out and took the blame. Been paying for the two doors, mirror, fender, and paint this whole time. Really stacks up on expensive (for a highschooler) preventative maintenance, misc repairs, car payment, and insurance. I'm plenty happy with the medium hp I have, I wouldn't dare go any further until I gained a few more years of experience. That much horsepower for a kid whos new on the road is an accident waiting to happen. A 19 year old with some buddies just recently got into a major accident in a Trackhawk. 707hp. He didn't know how to handle it. Anyway, that's my 2¢, learn the road for a little and appreciate something with less hp. Besides, you wrecking a 328i is gonna hurt a lot less than a 335is haha
      02-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #53
xSPEAR
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasra2002 View Post
I'm looking at a 2015 335i would that be better to maintain
Get a 328 car and thats more than you need, you are still very young to handle that car because I wrecked one myself and age of 18.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #54
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post
I was choosing between the 335is and m3 and nearly went with the m3, but the deciding factor for me was torque. m3 just does not make enough torque or have the same power potential for me without supercharging, and long ago in my ricer days having a b16a civic gave me a need torque complex.

I actually would have gone with a 2016 Camaro 2SS, but they were slightly out of my price range and the visibility is horrendous
I never had the chance to test drive E92 M3 before 335is but I was reading to much post about no low end torque aswell and it was putting me off a bit. I like when it pushes you back and goes off quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #55
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan View Post

You could easily add torque to the M3 with a trans flash.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #56
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You could easily add torque to the M3 with a trans flash.
Not enough. Only S/C would get me there, but those costs add up very quickly. Don't get me wrong, I love the e92 M3...but my budget was around 20K so there was that factor as well. Decent M3s are 25-30k where I am. I make decent money but also have a house and 3 kids, and the wife needs a new vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 11:16 AM   #57
N54Society
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valant View Post
Don't do it man. N5x components love to break, and every single part you'll have to replace is expensive. I'll be 18 in a couple months and although I love my 06 330xi it has chewed out my wallet since I got it. Especially since my driving experience was less than a year when I got it. Ended up getting sideswiped while backing up, freaked out and took the blame. Been paying for the two doors, mirror, fender, and paint this whole time. Really stacks up on expensive (for a highschooler) preventative maintenance, misc repairs, car payment, and insurance. I'm plenty happy with the medium hp I have, I wouldn't dare go any further until I gained a few more years of experience. That much horsepower for a kid whos new on the road is an accident waiting to happen. A 19 year old with some buddies just recently got into a major accident in a Trackhawk. 707hp. He didn't know how to handle it. Anyway, that's my 2¢, learn the road for a little and appreciate something with less hp. Besides, you wrecking a 328i is gonna hurt a lot less than a 335is haha
Well said.

Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #58
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
Yeah see that makes more sense. I'm 33, both my wife and I make six figures each, own a house, and still can't see myself buying a car in the $50k range yet lol.
Same place as I am in... I don't own a primary residence yet (where I am a 2 Bd 1 Ba is way over a million) so I rent for now (my rent is more expensive than most peoples mortgages). I have bought a few flip type homes over the last couple years and made a little money, but that goes back into the pot so I can actually afford my own place soon without struggling to make that payment.

I would NEVER, repeat NEVER buy a new car... maybe lease if my personal business was setup correctly for that. But a brand new car off the lot... not gonna happen. That $50K in the hands of a good financial adviser can start yielding me significant money over the next 5 years. If you let that compound you would be surprised what it becomes 10 and 15 years down the line. You could take distributions every 3 to 5 years and buy a collection of fun or even special low mile vehicles. It's a vehicle slush fund and a decent wealth adviser can help you set one up.

Quote:

Honestly where you live makes all the difference. I save like crazy, people sometimes make comments that I worry about money even though we technically make a pretty decent living. I live somewhere where the median home price is 1.2 million and the median rent is 4,500 a month... do the math, together my spouse and I make about 320K a year, 37% of that right off the bat is gone to taxes (actually more since my pay structure is more heavy on the bonus side, my marginal tax rate starts off much higher.) So figure less than 180K take home (less If you make all you contributions, this year its 55k each max) , then rent +/- 55K (going by median) then all the small stuff (internet, water, trash, cell phones, insurance, gas, etc etc) you see where I am going with this... We haven't even talked about gifts, clothes, vacations, or God forbid a woman's shoe problem...depending on where you live, even with a decent income, I don't see a time when spending 50k on something that will be worth 35K in a years time is worth it... not to mention the way things are going 3 series M Sport and M cars are going to be in the 70K+ range which is just ridiculous.

Now with a good CPA you can get your taxable income down thus reducing your effective tax rate, but I guess what I am trying to say is if cars are what is important to you than have at it, buy the latest and greatest. But at least for me and my family, 50-70K cars are out until we are clearing 350K after taxes...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #59
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

To be honest, you should only purchase a 335is if you know how to work on your own car.... I'm 16, and bought my 335i with insurance money, which I got because someone decided to take a left without looking and total my old car, and as of right now, I have maybe 3 or 4 hundred dollars into it for maintenance and repairs, but I do all of the work on my car myself. The cost of ownership is really only bad if you pay a shop to work on the car. I'd definitely consider this if you're like me, and pay for maintenance yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #60
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep

There aren't many good arguments for buying new, especially BMWs that depreciate so quickly.
Sticker price on my 2012 335is was $69700. Bought it November 2018 for 22k with 56k on the odometer.

If i were the original owner I would be crying about the depreciation.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #61
NathanK24
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335xi

If you're seriously set on buying a 3 series, I was strongly considering selling my 335xi due to new job. Send me a PM if you would be interested. Could convince your dad less maintenance cost due to big N54 repairs already done. Not gonna push the sale on you though, best of luck.
Appreciate 0