E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d smoking issue update, any help appreciated

06-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #1
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

335d smoking issue update, any help appreciated

335d smoking issue update

I posted last week about my 335d 2006 stage 1 map with no DPF with a smoking issue on idle after about 5 mins of driving once it's warmed up a bit an I pull up at lights I'd see smoke coming from the exhaust like a white with hint of blue is best way I can describe it then if I revved it or took off an put my foot down a bit I'd get like a plume of smoke, so this week I've done the following

Sunday I blanked the EGR cooler pipes off with bungs which made no difference to smoke issue but I never really expected it to

Monday fitted a new main thermostat as the one on the car was only reaching 66-70 on the temp in the hidden menu so from reading up I thought maybe the car was over fuelling to compensate for engine not getting hot enough, after thermostat was changed I took it out for a run an seen no smoke but then the following morning when I went out I noticed still smoking exactly as it was before

Tuesday late morning I changed the CCV on the car for a brand new one and car still seemed to smoke after it was fitted but seemed not as bad as before, takes the car out and no smoke, took it to get washed and valeted and left the car running for about 20 mins an not one bit of smoke at any point and I even had to check that it was still running as their was nothing out the exhaust

Wednesday takes the car out and again no smoke all day then Wednesday about 5pm I fitted the blanking plate to the exhaust manifold side for the EGR cooler that I'd ordered and been waiting for it to come, goes out Wednesday night and thought I noticed the car is smoking again but was hard to tell properly as it was going dark

Thursday and today car is back to smoking as it was before but not as bad, I'm guessing it's not related to the blanking plate and just purely coincidence but anyone have any ideas or thought as to what it could be?

I planned on going through things as I went along so next was going to be change the valve cover gasket then the red boost pipe then maybe turbo seals then move onto other things but the fact that it seemed to completely clear all Tuesday and Wednesday after the CCV was changed has got me thinking it's related to that so how would I find out for definite and cure it?

Would a oil catch can solve my problem and has anyone had the same issue as me an gutted a catch can that sorted it or anything else that sorted the problem as it's really getting me down now

Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

Just one word, postinjection.
You need better software.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      06-28-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Yeah it's a 2006 but does it have 12 miles/km or 120000mi/mi? 800000? There is a lot of discussion about this on the board... VCG will cause this or bad turbo seals
Appreciate 2
tuikku54.50
robnitro160.00
      06-28-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
Just one word, postinjection.
You need better software.
How do you mean mate I don't understand?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
Yeah it's a 2006 but does it have 12 miles/km or 120000mi/mi? 800000? There is a lot of discussion about this on the board... VCG will cause this or bad turbo seals
Sorry it's done 134,000 miles
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithlan1978 View Post
How do you mean mate I don't understand?
Your tune might still be running regeneration. Peek at your egt temperature when it starts smoking it will get hotter than it does with a clean idle.

Some tunes were bugged and still would run post injection for regen in some situations. Contact your tuner.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #7
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:

I posted last week about my 335d 2006 stage 1 map with no DPF with a smoking issue on idle after about 5 mins of driving once it's warmed up a bit an I pull up at lights I'd see smoke coming from the exhaust like a white with hint of blue is best way I can describe it then if I revved it or took off an put my foot down a bit I'd get like a plume of smoke, so this week I've done the following

Sunday I blanked the EGR cooler pipes off with bungs which made no difference to smoke issue but I never really expected it to

Monday fitted a new main thermostat as the one on the car was only reaching 66-70 on the temp in the hidden menu so from reading up I thought maybe the car was over fuelling to compensate for engine not getting hot enough, after thermostat was changed I took it out for a run an seen no smoke but then the following morning when I went out I noticed still smoking exactly as it was before

Tuesday late morning I changed the CCV on the car for a brand new one and car still seemed to smoke after it was fitted but seemed not as bad as before, takes the car out and no smoke, took it to get washed and valeted and left the car running for about 20 mins an not one bit of smoke at any point and I even had to check that it was still running as their was nothing out the exhaust

Wednesday takes the car out and again no smoke all day then Wednesday about 5pm I fitted the blanking plate to the exhaust manifold side for the EGR cooler that I'd ordered and been waiting for it to come, goes out Wednesday night and thought I noticed the car is smoking again but was hard to tell properly as it was going dark

Thursday and today car is back to smoking as it was before but not as bad, I'm guessing it's not related to the blanking plate and just purely coincidence but anyone have any ideas or thought as to what it could be?

I planned on going through things as I went along so next was going to be change the valve cover gasket then the red boost pipe then maybe turbo seals then move onto other things but the fact that it seemed to completely clear all Tuesday and Wednesday after the CCV was changed has got me thinking it's related to that so how would I find out for definite and cure it?

Would a oil catch can solve my problem and has anyone had the same issue as me an gutted a catch can that sorted it or anything else that sorted the problem as it's really getting me down now

Thanks for any help

If you have DPF delete pipe it will smoke a little, mines the same. I fitted a DPF delete pipe and stage 2 map, first start in a morning and when i thrash it, but not plumes of smoke.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS DAVE View Post
Quote:

Thanks for any help

If you have DPF delete pipe it will smoke a little, mines the same. I fitted a DPF delete pipe and stage 2 map, first start in a morning and when i thrash it, but not plumes of smoke.
It's not got a dpf delete pipe on it's just had the dpf taken off and gutted, mine I haven't noticed any on first start up it's more when car gets to around 70 temp and above
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
robnitro
Captain
Rep

regen happens above 70C.
Did you gut dpf and then get tuned or after?
You need to contact the tuner to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
regen happens above 70C.
Did you gut dpf and then get tuned or after?
You need to contact the tuner to fix it.
I wasn't the one who had the dpf gutted or mapped as it was done over 3 years ago, I've only had the car for about 4 weeks but I had the map checked and all is fine and dpf deleted correctly
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
RS DAVE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E91 335D M SPORT

Quote:
It's not got a dpf delete pipe on it's just had the dpf taken off and gutted, mine I haven't noticed any on first start up it's more when car gets to around 70 temp and above
Ring me 07768 174805
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      06-30-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

When the fault memory is cleared and the ecu is told that dpf has been changed, the clear, or harmless driving time is about 1000km before the new regeneration is needed.

I would be in contact with the seller, there is an false in the item.
He did not tell all to you.
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      06-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post
When the fault memory is cleared and the ecu is told that dpf has been changed, the clear, or harmless driving time is about 1000km before the new regeneration is needed.

I would be in contact with the seller, there is an false in the item.
He did not tell all to you.
You mean the dpf isn't mapped out properly? It was mapped 3 years ago which is well before I bought it as I've only had it about 4 weeks
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
robnitro
Captain
Rep

Yes that is what is happening. It could have worked fine for a long time but a glitch in the crappy tuning sometimes happens and you get a regen issue. It's happened in the past to other people on us tunes of inferior tuners. There are many conditions that signal a regen and sometimes a tuner misses some of them. Again, that's why it happens when you hit 70C which is pretty much the temp at which regen is allowed.

Maybe you can try to disconnect the battery for 30 mins and reconnect to see if this condition stops. But that's just a temporary fix to clear the temporary ecu/ dde memory.

You didn't answer me this: did you log fuel, maf, and egt values to compare before smoke and during smoke? That can help us point it out for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:08 AM   #15
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes that is what is happening. It could have worked fine for a long time but a glitch in the crappy tuning sometimes happens and you get a regen issue. It's happened in the past to other people on us tunes of inferior tuners. There are many conditions that signal a regen and sometimes a tuner misses some of them. Again, that's why it happens when you hit 70C which is pretty much the temp at which regen is allowed.

Maybe you can try to disconnect the battery for 30 mins and reconnect to see if this condition stops. But that's just a temporary fix to clear the temporary ecu/ dde memory.

You didn't answer me this: did you log fuel, maf, and egt values to compare before smoke and during smoke? That can help us point it out for you.
What's egt? When you say log do you mean do some data logging on a diagnostics? If so I haven't done that yet

I did send a read of the ecu off for the map to be checked and it came back that it was fine and dpf mapped out correctly so do you think this could still be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:20 AM   #16
Jpm57tt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Hi

Who did the tune? Its looks that is still regenerating .
Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:25 AM   #17
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What's egt? When you say log do you mean do some data logging on a diagnostics? If so I haven't done that yet

I did send a read of the ecu off for the map to be checked and it came back that it was fine and dpf mapped out correctly so do you think this could still be the issue?
Egt exhaust gas temperature sorry I was having a blonde moment

Also if it was the dpf trying to regen, would I not get any codes, lights on dash or anything?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 02:27 AM   #18
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm57tt View Post
Hi

Who did the tune? Its looks that is still regenerating .
Regards
I honestly don't know mate it was done over 3 years ago before the the owner I bought it off had it
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:55 AM   #19
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:

Just logged egt temp and smoking seemed to start when temp got upto around 270
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:28 AM   #20
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Just took it over to a garage that I know as the fella used to work for bmw and he's convinced it's trying to regen
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #21
Jpm57tt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

Quote:
Does the egt goes high ? If so how high? Does your consumption goes a little higher too? Water temp...? When the smoke problem appears .
Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #22
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm57tt View Post
Quote:
Does the egt goes high ? If so how high? Does your consumption goes a little higher too? Water temp...? When the smoke problem appears .
Regards
The egt when it starts smoking is at around 270 then when it really starts it's over 300

Water temp is usually between 88 and 91 but can sometimes go up to 94-97 but haven't checked if this is when it's smoking

Mpg isn't great and not as good as I've seen others say they're getting and it does stink of fuel when it's smoking, the fella in the garage is convinced it's trying to regen
Appreciate 0