E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Getting 30ff and timing corrections!!

04-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
AhmedM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Getting 30ff and timing corrections!!

Hello all, Im recently been having an issue with boost issues. Gave her a little throttle in 5th gear and got the all mighty 30ff. The thing is i know the chargepipe, vacuum lines, etc are all good because i have replaced them or tested them. I resorted to testing my boost solenoids with a friend of mines that i know worked. Tested rear, and front solenoid and still got the 30ff. This is where it gets interesting, during the testing of the solenoids i can only recreate the 30ff code when doing a WOT pull in 3rd gear going into 4th. The 30ff comes on once I'm back into throttle in 4th. Weird right? Somehow i managed to recreate this about 4 times!!! So i logged it to see whats going on. I found that I'm off target boost by 1-1.5 psi, and have timing corrections on a few cylinders, but see big corrections on cylinder 5 during this time.

Heres the data log, not sure which logs are also there but they were part of the same run.
https://datazap.me/u/ahmedelmohands/...=0&data=3-5-22

Something to note as well, I filled up on 93 from a BP in a shady area before these issues happened. Never had an issue before filling up at the Mobile i usually fill up at. Don't know if these correlate what so ever but thought it is worth mentioning.

MODS: Vrsf chargepipe, Tial Bov, Arm Downpipes, and MHD stage 2 Beta v8 93 map.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
turbohugh
ASCMA General
Rep
Drives: E90-N54 <>E36 328Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedn54 View Post
Hello all, Im recently been having an issue with boost issues. Gave her a little throttle in 5th gear and got the all mighty 30ff. The thing is i know the chargepipe, vacuum lines, etc are all good because i have replaced them or tested them. I resorted to testing my boost solenoids with a friend of mines that i know worked. Tested rear, and front solenoid and still got the 30ff. This is where it gets interesting, during the testing of the solenoids i can only recreate the 30ff code when doing a WOT pull in 3rd gear going into 4th. The 30ff comes on once I'm back into throttle in 4th. Weird right? Somehow i managed to recreate this about 4 times!!! So i logged it to see whats going on. I found that I'm off target boost by 1-1.5 psi, and have timing corrections on a few cylinders, but see big corrections on cylinder 5 during this time.

Heres the data log, not sure which logs are also there but they were part of the same run.
https://datazap.me/u/ahmedelmohands/...38;data=3-5-22

Something to note as well, I filled up on 93 from a BP in a shady area before these issues happened. Never had an issue before filling up at the Mobile i usually fill up at. Don't know if these correlate what so ever but thought it is worth mentioning.

Just my opinion but looking at that IAT i think your timing will be pulled . No intercooler ? Even with my ARM stepped 5inch my IAT goes down under boost .. I believe MHD recommends Intercooler for the 1+ and 2 tunes .
Flash to a Stage 1 tune and see if you get that code . You probably won't see it with the stock flash either . Probably shitty intercooler 😁. #MyOpinion
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
Jerain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedn54 View Post

https://datazap.me/u/ahmedelmohands/...=0&data=3-5-22

First of all do a log in 3rd to 4th gear with TC fully off! You have boost problems, slow spool and not hitting target. When I had this I replaced a brittle vaccuum line behind the oil filter housing and changed the two boost solenoids (not that expensive from Pierburg) and my problems were gone. Also drain that fuel en get the best 93octane you can get, those are massive timing pulls.
      04-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

I just had this problem and wrote in the MHD thread, subbed for an answer
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:50 AM   #5
AhmedM3
Private First Class
Rep

So i sorted out the timing issues, turns out it was just the gas, the bp gas i got must have been old or bad or whatever. However I'm still getting 30ff, don't know where it could possibly be leaking from. Any ideas guys, anything!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 12:11 AM   #6
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post
Just my opinion but looking at that IAT i think your timing will be pulled . No intercooler ? Even with my ARM stepped 5inch my IAT goes down under boost .. I believe MHD recommends Intercooler for the 1+ and 2 tunes .
Flash to a Stage 1 tune and see if you get that code . You probably won't see it with the stock flash either . Probably shitty intercooler 😁. #MyOpinion

Try this —-^
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
AhmedM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughKnight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohugh View Post

Try this —-^
Yea I'm going to buy a fmic. Im seeing high iats on all my logs. Reached 120 the other day! Ill keep you guys posted when i install and log again!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #8
bluemonstr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 mini S,'08 335i mod'd

Not able to help (directly) with your issue, however I KNOW that FMIC has nothing to do with you hitting your boost targets. Unless it's leaking and I doubt that. So you can replace it. But if you are having issues getting to target boost and your FMIC is not leaking, then you will still have issues getting to target.

Yes, your IAT's are going up - but it will still hit target if everything is working correctly. You just hit target and your timing is reduced. I had a similar issue to this and it turned out that my gasket or whatever it is called from my stock FMIC was pinched and allowing a boost leak. Slow to spool and just a tad off target.
      04-17-2019, 06:21 PM   #9
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

IAT will pull timing, he needs to reflash and repost a log. FMIC isn't a power upgrade but a longevity upgrade and should be near the very top of a mods list when building this car
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #10
AhmedM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
IAT will pull timing, he needs to reflash and repost a log. FMIC isn't a power upgrade but a longevity upgrade and should be near the very top of a mods list when building this car
Quote:
I ran another log after refueling with 93 and had no more timing corrections. Looking to upgrade fmic ver very soon. More worried as to where the 30ff is coming from rather than the timing corrections now
Appreciate 0