E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog & Wheels - Here we go



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #221
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
489
Rep
7,516
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vinton, Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
I'd ask them to supply the car with wheels from the Performance range (313's or 269's) shod with non run flat tyres all at no extra cost.

Make it a condition of the sale or you'll walk.

Left:269. Right: 313
Love those 269s!

Would a 255 width fit or would I need to go to a 265? What impact would the wider tyre have on the handling?
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 02:07 PM   #222
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
152
Rep
6,110
Posts

Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
Love those 269s!

Would a 255 width fit or would I need to go to a 265? What impact would the wider tyre have on the handling?
The 269's are a standard BMW wheel fitment Floyd, so your 255's will fit no probs
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #223
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
489
Rep
7,516
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vinton, Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank
Thanks, Ian. I was concerned with my current 193Ms with the 255/35 profile being 8.5 inches wide and the 269s being 9.0 inches wide and whether the 255 profile would be stretched too far and/or look goofy.

BTW, they're very expensive, over $2200 a set, so I think my problem might be solved even before it becomes a problem.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #224
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
59
Rep
2,938
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Location: Location:

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Saw watchdog and read all the posts about 19" alloys. These are part of package on M highline.

Should I take 18" alloys instead of 19", ask dealer to fit non run flats on 19", as them to supply without wheels and tyres and souce my own, or cancel order.

As I am not a BMW owner yet, I would appreciate everyones advice.

Thanks,
Ask them for a warranty statement in writing on these wheels. Are they fit for UK roads? Will they replace if they crack. If not get them to offer an alternative like the ones above.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #225
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
6
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bristol

iTrader: (0)

New e93 M sport highline 330d order and what wheels tp insist on

Thanks for the replies. The wheels, I am told, will be the 269, but they come with run flats. I will ask whether they are bridgestone or potensa.

I did ask that they confirm the wheels would be covered by warranty and they have not been prepared to confirm,yet.

I understand that the best suggestion from the forum is get 269 wheels with non run flat tyres. Is that correct.

Thanks for your advice
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #226
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
489
Rep
7,516
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vinton, Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank
Potenzas ARE Bridgestone.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #227
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
489
Rep
7,516
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vinton, Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank
If you can, have them supply the 269s without the RFT but with the mobility kit ala M3.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #228
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
6
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bristol

iTrader: (0)

New e93 M sport highline 330d order and what wheels to insist on

Thanks soyank. Also thanks for the correction that Potensa are Bridgestone. I saw on the fourm that there are 3rd generation bridgestone flats, how would I know/tell if they are 3rd generation.

Also, it occurs to me that if I insist on 269 wheels and non run flats, if I was to have a problem later, then as I had insisted on the specific combination, then they could say they would not cover it by warranty. Is this the standard combinatin for the M3? If so, can someone tell me the specific tyres to request.

I must also consider that on the other hand, if I take their recommendation and there is a problem, then it is less easy for them to sidestep responsibility.

All in all though, when buying a new car you should not have to even think these types of problems, poor show on BMW's side I must say. What silly way to deal with an obvious problem. When the mercedes A class had a problem with rolling over, Mercedes took the right action and their reputation hardly suffered - afterall who remembers what the moose problem was? BWM on the other hand.................................. so stupid!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #229
SoYank
Major General
SoYank's Avatar
United_States
489
Rep
7,516
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vinton, Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to SoYank
If you have any concerns I'd ask the dealer to put all of them to paper and give a written response. However, this may then mean that any problem in the future will require you to return to that particular dealership.

It's my understanding that the M3 does not come with RFT nor a spare but relies on the mobilitiy kit as a stop gap measure so the driver isn't left stranded.
__________________
2009 E90 335i Montego Blue Black Leather Burl Walnut 6MT US Spec
SatNav ZPP ZCW 6FL TPMS iDrive PDC HWS Xenons BMW Assist Power Rear Sunshade Logic 7
European Taillights Rear Foglamp OEM Alarm PicoTray DataToys XM-DVR Multi-view Processor
Quaife ATB LSD Short Shift Knob Hartge Anti-Roll Bars AP Racing Front Brakes 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #230
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
M3-FAST's Avatar
England
169
Rep
5,795
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
It's my understanding that the M3 does not come with RFT nor a spare but relies on the mobilitiy kit as a stop gap measure so the driver isn't left stranded.
That's correct Floyd

The wheels are shod with non-RFT Michelin tyres - the ride is 10 times better than my old vert with 19" 225M's on RFT Bridgestones.

The M3 does have a slightly 'taller' profile though so will be a little more compliant due to this.

Mobility kit in the boot is basically gunk & a pump Would still prefer a space saver personally.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #231
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
152
Rep
6,110
Posts

Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
BTW, they're very expensive, over $2200 a set, so I think my problem might be solved even before it becomes a problem.
Floyd, yes they are expensive, but you can shop around, www.alloywheelsdirect.net
have them @ 1260, so approx $2,094 which is a bit less than you quoted above, but still expensive and you have to ship them also.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Also, it occurs to me that if I insist on 269 wheels and non run flats, if I was to have a problem later, then as I had insisted on the specific combination, then they could say they would not cover it by warranty. Is this the standard combinatin for the M3? If so, can someone tell me the specific tyres to request.
Tom,I'd be tempted to get the wheels with RFT's fitted, this would negate any arguments with regards warranty should any arise.

Once you get the car swop the tyres (keep the RFT's) for a good brand of non RFT's, this would save the wheels from cracking should the problem of cracking be directly linked to RFT's which most people suspect.

Come sell/P/ex time put the RFT's back on the supplied wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #232
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
6
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bristol

iTrader: (0)

That Sounds like a good possibility (see below). Can anyone recommend good 19" non run flat tyres for an e93 330d convertible. Thanks again for your suggestion.


I'd be tempted to get the wheels with RFT's fitted, swop the tyres (keep the RFT's) for a good brand of non RFT's, this would save the wheels from cracking should the problem of cracking be directly linked to RFT's which most people suspect.

Last edited by tomgrey; 11-08-2009 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:23 AM   #233
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
6
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bristol

iTrader: (0)

what tyres & wheels for new e93 mSport highline

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I have asked the dealer to see if they can deliver the car with the M3 tyres and wheels. This would be 269 alloys with non run flat tyres.
Seems to be a good compromise - and I hope will be 'easy' for the dealer. I will let you know what they say.

Does anyone have any comments?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #234
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
193
Rep
9,915
Posts

Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Don't get M3 size tyres they will rub. 225/35/19 front, 255/30/19 rear is what you want.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 03:57 AM   #235
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
6
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bristol

iTrader: (0)

tryes for e93

Thanks willhollin. Can you suggest a specific make and type? I know size is not everything and that road noise, ride etc., can differ a lot between makes.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:00 AM   #236
willhollin
Major General
willhollin's Avatar
England
193
Rep
9,915
Posts

Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Thanks willhollin. Can you suggest a specific make and type? I know size is not everything and that road noise, ride etc., can differ a lot between makes.
Get Michelin Pilot Sport 2 and you won't go far wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #237
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
700
Rep
29,334
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
The 230's are bbs. Maybe those ones are ok. Only a few cracked... issues with major potholes maybe, whereas the 225's are smashing all the time.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 05:02 AM   #238
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
152
Rep
6,110
Posts

Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
The 230's are bbs. Maybe those ones are ok. Only a few cracked... issues with major potholes maybe, whereas the 225's are smashing all the time.
Really?

According to these statistics that's not the case, 230's are just as vulnerable:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315301

6 peeps with 230's
4 peeps with 225's
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 05:43 AM   #239
stevew
Private
5
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 325i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrey View Post
Thanks for everyones suggestions. I have asked the dealer to see if they can deliver the car with the M3 tyres and wheels. This would be 269 alloys with non run flat tyres.
Seems to be a good compromise - and I hope will be 'easy' for the dealer. I will let you know what they say.

Does anyone have any comments?
I will be asking my stealer the same thing. I've got a new M Sport Highline on order for December delivery. I'm waiting for the stealer principle to ring me back about my "concerns following the Watchdog programme" & the fact that BMW are "passing the buck"

I had this response from BMW Customer Services when I contacted them:

Thank you for your recent enquiry. I am sorry that the recent BBC Watchdog programme has caused you to question whether you should have purchased 19" alloy wheels on your new BMW 3 Series. As it's a Highline model I didn't get a F****N choice you stupid bint!!

BMW continually monitors part orders and failure reports through our network of approved dealerships, which enables us to pinpoint and identify any common faults. Should a persistent issue be identified, we will release a quality enhancement campaign to ensure that this is remedied. Please be assured that there has not been a common fault identified with the wheels on any of our vehicles.

In addition to this, alloy wheels must conform to strict official guidelines and the wheels used on our entire vehicle range exceed the standards required for use in the EU. Damage can occur to the wheels of a vehicle through a number of external influences. Poor road surfaces, pot holes, speed bumps, incorrect tyre pressures and kerbs can all have an impact on the wheels of a vehicle which, if the impact is sufficient enough, can damage the wheel itself. If wheels have been subject to force of sufficient magnitude that exceeds the elasticity rating set by the manufacturer, this is deemed an external influence.

BMW are aware of a few cases where a customer has sustained damage to their vehicle's wheels and we take a very responsible approach to product related defects. Full investigations were carried out and, in every instance, signs of impact have been found, which confirms that this is not a manufacturing related defect.

The report on the BBC Watchdog programme related to a few isolated cases where the 192 M double spoke wheels had sustained a crack. The larger the wheel rim, the lower the tyre profile. Therefore, the ability to absorb a severe impact in the way an increased profile tyre would becomes reduced. This results in any abnormal energy, which is beyond the capability of the tyre, being transmitted to the alloy wheel. To prevent this type of incident occurring, all vehicle manufacturers recommend that drivers exercise caution when driving over uneven road surfaces and moderate their speed accordingly.

I hope that this information allays your concerns regarding the wheels used on BMW vehicles, however, if you would like any further reassurance or information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Zoe Shambrook
Customer Service Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0870 5050160
Fax: 0870 5050205
Mail: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #240
pjs
Colonel
pjs's Avatar
207
Rep
2,765
Posts

Drives: i8
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORTH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I will be asking my stealer the same thing. I've got a new M Sport Highline on order for December delivery. I'm waiting for the stealer principle to ring me back about my "concerns following the Watchdog programme" & the fact that BMW are "passing the buck"

I had this response from BMW Customer Services when I contacted them:

Thank you for your recent enquiry. I am sorry that the recent BBC Watchdog programme has caused you to question whether you should have purchased 19" alloy wheels on your new BMW 3 Series. As it's a Highline model I didn't get a F****N choice you stupid bint!!

BMW continually monitors part orders and failure reports through our network of approved dealerships, which enables us to pinpoint and identify any common faults. Should a persistent issue be identified, we will release a quality enhancement campaign to ensure that this is remedied. Please be assured that there has not been a common fault identified with the wheels on any of our vehicles.

In addition to this, alloy wheels must conform to strict official guidelines and the wheels used on our entire vehicle range exceed the standards required for use in the EU. Damage can occur to the wheels of a vehicle through a number of external influences. Poor road surfaces, pot holes, speed bumps, incorrect tyre pressures and kerbs can all have an impact on the wheels of a vehicle which, if the impact is sufficient enough, can damage the wheel itself. If wheels have been subject to force of sufficient magnitude that exceeds the elasticity rating set by the manufacturer, this is deemed an external influence.

BMW are aware of a few cases where a customer has sustained damage to their vehicle's wheels and we take a very responsible approach to product related defects. Full investigations were carried out and, in every instance, signs of impact have been found, which confirms that this is not a manufacturing related defect.

The report on the BBC Watchdog programme related to a few isolated cases where the 192 M double spoke wheels had sustained a crack. The larger the wheel rim, the lower the tyre profile. Therefore, the ability to absorb a severe impact in the way an increased profile tyre would becomes reduced. This results in any abnormal energy, which is beyond the capability of the tyre, being transmitted to the alloy wheel. To prevent this type of incident occurring, all vehicle manufacturers recommend that drivers exercise caution when driving over uneven road surfaces and moderate their speed accordingly.

I hope that this information allays your concerns regarding the wheels used on BMW vehicles, however, if you would like any further reassurance or information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Zoe Shambrook
Customer Service Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0870 5050160
Fax: 0870 5050205
Mail: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
URL: www.bmw.co.uk

Hmm, the same BMW Group UK that doesn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #241
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
700
Rep
29,334
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Really?

According to these statistics that's not the case, 230's are just as vulnerable:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315301

6 peeps with 230's
4 peeps with 225's
From what ive read it seems a MASS amount of 225's.

I only heard of a few 230's.
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 07:50 AM   #242
tomgrey
Private First Class
United Kingdom
6
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: e93, M sport, 269 alloys
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: bristol

iTrader: (0)

New e93 in december

Hi PJS,

I am getting mine in december as well, from Dick Lovetts. Which dealer are you getting yours from?

It is clear from your earlier posts that the dealer is key - as per the letter to the courts, BMW do not supply any cars, they all come from independent dealers!

The letter from BMW group is useless 'blah, blah, blah' stuff you get from tired, bored, disinterested and disheartened people whose careers have culminated in their promotion to the complaints department. That says it all, I think.

I can't see what the dealer has to loose if they supply with non run flats. They keep the run flats (someone else will want/need them) and customer is happy.

BTW, are the M sport double spoke 19" the 269 wheels or 225 wheels. They looked the same as the 269 posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks to all.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cracked, damaged

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST