E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > RDC Module coding

10-08-2019, 11:58 PM   #45
sirphillip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i

Garage List
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem I had arise. Ive been having the TPMS malfunction for a month now but hadn't been able to get around to it. Now It turns out after running a diagnostic on the car at BMW for a separate issue that got fixed, that my RDC control unit failed. Bmw wants to charge me about 700$ for what I believe is programming labor and the part (diagnostic just programming req). But 700$ to program??? So my question is I've seen some videos and forums where people take out the RDC, get it cleaned of any corrosion and sometimes it works and malfunction is gone. Im going to try that first. But if unsuccessful and if I need to buy a new one and install it myself will it need to be coded/programmed?
Btw if it matters I have a BMW 2011 xDrive, which according to some sources just has the 4 sensors for the tires and the RDC unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #46
Tomjrau
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, 2011335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuCrew View Post
I was able to REPAIR my RDC and this was much more straightforward and easier for me than coding since I've only coded my BMW twice in the last 7 years. Perhaps this video will help you attempt a repair especially if you've already decided to buy a new part and code or have a new part installed and coded. You've got nothing to lose by attempting a repair and if you're successful, you avoid coding and $$$.

Thank you so much for linking this video. I successfully repaired my RDC control module in my 2011 335i xdrive after having a disabling electrical malfunction stemming from this module.

Attached Images

Last edited by Tomjrau; 11-25-2019 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #47
borderm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 M Sport

Hi All,

I replaced what I believed was a faulty RDC on my 2011 E70 LCI X5 xdrive50i. The sg_reset step allowed me to communicate with it in INPA and ISTA although it does not recognize any wheel transmitters and when I choose reset on the CIC it literally never finishes resetting. It did at one point throw 4 codes respectively for each wheel sensor communication failure. I also tried resetting in INPA and ISTAD, as well as reprogramming in WINKFP Comfort Mode RDCLC1 I think it was, there was 3 available.

I am just shotgunning this thing as I'm sure any knowledgeable person can tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate to take it to the dealer an hour away just to program/code/burn\hammer\whatever you want to call it; The Module

*ALSO It maybe worth mentioning, I tore apart my old module to look for signs of oxidation and didn't find any*
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:13 AM   #48
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderm3 View Post
Hi All,

I replaced what I believed was a faulty RDC on my 2011 E70 LCI X5 xdrive50i. The sg_reset step allowed me to communicate with it in INPA and ISTA although it does not recognize any wheel transmitters and when I choose reset on the CIC it literally never finishes resetting. It did at one point throw 4 codes respectively for each wheel sensor communication failure. I also tried resetting in INPA and ISTAD, as well as reprogramming in WINKFP Comfort Mode RDCLC1 I think it was, there was 3 available.

I am just shotgunning this thing as I'm sure any knowledgeable person can tell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hate to take it to the dealer an hour away just to program/code/burn\hammer\whatever you want to call it; The Module

*ALSO It maybe worth mentioning, I tore apart my old module to look for signs of oxidation and didn't find any*
It was probably never a faulty module, rather faulty sensors or transmitters. Can you post the ISTA codes?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #49
borderm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi, thanks for your post.

It's been months, I don't remember what the code was in the RDC but it wasn't related to the wheel transmitters. It did say TPM Malfunction on the CIC.

It took about twenty minutes of driving and the TPM Reset finally stopped and gave the 'TPM Malfunction' on the CIC at which point it threw these wheel speed codes.

The kcan problem I am tackling right now as well. I am about to hook up my oscilloscope to it, it's just a pita since I have an old CRT benchtop one.

I believe my problem is coding related since I can communicate with the replacement module and its very unlikely all 4 transmitters went at once in the mean time. This vehicle only has one RDC module and 4 transmitters in the wheels. I don't feel the problem would be related to the kcan communication codes since the coupling between the transmitters and rdc module should be a lower layer than the kcan, but.....fact is I don't know, that's why I am here

It's worth noting; The car has no noticeable problems other than the RDC malfunction, everything seems to work fine.

Thanks again, Chris
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #50
borderm3
Enlisted Member
Rep

Name:  IstaCodes001.png
Views: 2386
Size:  56.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #51
stamonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335ilci View Post
I am also having trouble trying to reset the RDC
This the error I am getting
I have the same errors on mine as well, were you able to figure it out? I replaced the original part with this one from ECS Tuning. Their website claims it'll work in my e90, but I wonder if that's the issue. My original part number is 6793 122-01.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #52
subito4u
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robself705 View Post
Hey David, thanks for the info! I am having an issue coding my new module as I was having a TPM light as well.

I checked RDC module in INPA and was getting error messages indicating all four corners were unreadable as well as a general RDC module error. I was also getting many "failure to connect to module" errors. I was thinking the RDC module was probably dead (172,000 miles) and I purchased a junkyard RDC module on eBay to replace mine and swapped it in.

However, now I am having issues coding it as I am trying to do a SG_Reset as you did. However, my RDC module is NOT showing up in the ECU list in NCSExpert. So I am unable to select the module to reset it. When I check the module in INPA, I can read it and check errors, but it is still not reading tire pressure sensors and I still have a TPM light.

Can someone tell me if these are the right steps and why the RDC is not showing up in my ECU menu? I am going to try updating the Daten files tonight, but I got the BMW tools package from https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads and am under the impression that their NCSExpert package already has the v60.1 Daten files?

1. Load NCSExpert.
2. Load Profile and select Expertmode
3. F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA f .ECU)
5. Choose E60
6. Select CAS
7. F6 (BACK)
8. F4 (Process ECU)
9. Select the RDC Module to revert to stock (RDC NOT SHOWING UP)
10. F2->Choose "SG_Reset->ok

Thanks for the help!
Profile loaded is Revtor. VIN shows up automatically.

Everything ok until I hit F6 (step 7 above) but then the F4 option shows up grey, not active/available.

If I try F3 Choose ECU it brings up a list and I don't know which one to choose.
I would appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #53
subito4u
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robself705 View Post
Hey David, thanks for the info! I am having an issue coding my new module as I was having a TPM light as well.

I checked RDC module in INPA and was getting error messages indicating all four corners were unreadable as well as a general RDC module error. I was also getting many "failure to connect to module" errors. I was thinking the RDC module was probably dead (172,000 miles) and I purchased a junkyard RDC module on eBay to replace mine and swapped it in.

However, now I am having issues coding it as I am trying to do a SG_Reset as you did. However, my RDC module is NOT showing up in the ECU list in NCSExpert. So I am unable to select the module to reset it. When I check the module in INPA, I can read it and check errors, but it is still not reading tire pressure sensors and I still have a TPM light.

Can someone tell me if these are the right steps and why the RDC is not showing up in my ECU menu? I am going to try updating the Daten files tonight, but I got the BMW tools package from https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads and am under the impression that their NCSExpert package already has the v60.1 Daten files?

1. Load NCSExpert.
2. Load Profile and select Expertmode
3. F1 (VIN/ZCS/FA)
4. F3 (ZCS/FA f .ECU)
5. Choose E60
6. Select CAS
7. F6 (BACK)
8. F4 (Process ECU)
9. Select the RDC Module to revert to stock (RDC NOT SHOWING UP)
10. F2->Choose "SG_Reset->ok

Thanks for the help!
Profile loaded is Revtor. VIN shows up automatically.

Everything ok until I hit F6 (step 7 above) but then the F4 option shows up grey, not active/available.

If I try F3 Choose ECU it brings up a list and I don't know which one to choose.
I would appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #54
subito4u
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetro View Post
GOT IT FIXED!

I was able to read the RDC module, a SG-RESET on it did not work.

I ended up doing a factory reset on the module by using the manipulation profile and an empty MAN file. As soon as I did that TPMS activated and is working perfectly!
I have an INACTIVE TPMS warning, located the RDC module on the trunk, right rear, behind 2 layers of moulding and a "blanket sheet ", a white box in my case.
I decided to try a reset with the supposedly malfunctioning module to see if I could revive it, "reflash" it, since it looks like new.
I installed INPA/NCSExpert, loaded Revtor profile, it reads the VIN, but when I hit F6 (back), I get COAPI-1020 message.

Could you guys help me with this? How would I do a SG_RESET?

Last edited by subito4u; 09-07-2020 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: new info
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #55
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by subito4u View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetro View Post
GOT IT FIXED!

I was able to read the RDC module, a SG-RESET on it did not work.

I ended up doing a factory reset on the module by using the manipulation profile and an empty MAN file. As soon as I did that TPMS activated and is working perfectly!
I have an INACTIVE TPMS warning, located the RDC module on the trunk, right rear, behind 2 layers of moulding and a "blanket sheet ", a white box in my case.
I decided to try a reset with the supposedly malfunctioning module to see if I could revive it, "reflash" it, since it looks like new.
I installed INPA/NCSExpert, loaded Revtor profile, it reads the VIN, but when I hit F6 (back), I get COAPI-1020 message.

Could you guys help me with this? How would I do a SG_RESET?
9 times out of 10 the rdc module isn't what fails and causes a tpms light. Majority of the time it's a sensor. Scan with inpa and it'll tell you if a sensor is malfunctioning
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #56
dkoch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Hi there - any luck on figuring out the issue? I have the exact same error message when attempting the reset.

Thanks.

Dan
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:52 AM   #57
MrVM7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i ///\/\ Sport

Garage List
has anyone seen this TPMS warning and any ideas on how to fix
Attached Images