E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Help with front coilover spring rate (E91)

10-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #1
relentlessone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i xDrive

Help with front coilover spring rate (E91)

I have BC BR coilovers on my 2007 328i RWD wagon, and the front end hits pretty hard over larger dips in the road. The set I have (I-17) comes with 8k front springs. I don't have any experience with custom spring rates, but I was considering swapping the fronts out for a set of Swift springs, I'm just not sure which rate to go with. Initially I was thinking a lower rate (7k) for more comfort, but while checking the suspension out yesterday, I noticed that the passenger side bump stop is broken which makes me think it's been bottoming out. Should I go up to 9/10k instead?

FWIW I've had BC's on my E60 for a few years and before that on my E39 and they were/are great, so I don't think it's an issue with the quality of the coilovers. The BCs on my E60 soak up the impacts on the same dips mentioned above with no issue.
      10-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #2
relentlessone
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i xDrive

I ordered 10k BC springs and new bump stops so I'll report back once installed. Maybe it will help someone in the future with a similar issue!

UPDATE: I installed the 10k springs and have the front shocks set to 20 clicks from soft. Result: No more bottoming out and it handles like a dream!

Last edited by relentlessone; 10-28-2019 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 1