E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Instrument cluster swap - possible?

05-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
flipper325
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328xiT

Instrument cluster swap - possible?

I want to replace the instrument cluster in my '08 328xiT with one from an '09 335xi, and would like to know if it's possible, and what's involved.

The reason -- I hate the instantaneous MPG gauge at the bottom of the tach, while the 335 has an oil temp. gauge (I know it's not super accurate, but still much more useful).

The 335 cluster comes from a lower mileage car, so whatever odometer mileage is stored in it (if at all), should revert to my actual higher mileage -- as I understand, this data is stored in several locations, to prevent easy tampering.

I suspect there is no fit issue, but am not sure if any coding is required, or erasure of the 335i cluster EPROMs, etc. to bring it to the new/virgin condition. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

There are companies in Europe who can do all of this but on a premium rate. 500-700 euros.
      05-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
BMW..
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper325es View Post
I want to replace the instrument cluster in my '08 328xiT with one from an '09 335xi, and would like to know if it's possible, and what's involved.

The reason -- I hate the instantaneous MPG gauge at the bottom of the tach, while the 335 has an oil temp. gauge (I know it's not super accurate, but still much more useful).

The 335 cluster comes from a lower mileage car, so whatever odometer mileage is stored in it (if at all), should revert to my actual higher mileage -- as I understand, this data is stored in several locations, to prevent easy tampering.

I suspect there is no fit issue, but am not sure if any coding is required, or erasure of the 335i cluster EPROMs, etc. to bring it to the new/virgin condition. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
You have to reprogram a computer chip and replace it on the board
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:10 AM   #4
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: M57 330D

Replace EEPROM in CAS and new INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.
These both must match.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Replace EEPROM in CAS and new INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.
These both must match.
I have been told that using a blank eprom and programming it on the used Odomter with your car's vin and current mileage should do the job.
Never heard of changing anything on CAS.
      05-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I have been told that using a blank eprom and programming it on the used Odomter with your car's vin and current mileage should do the job.
Ok, right, I'm sorry, I was thinking about different situation .
In e90 only in IHK and CAS mileage is saved.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
flipper325
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328xiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Got it. Assuming I install a new EEPROM in the instrument cluster, it will still need to be programmed, right? I.e., not a DIY job? A friend of mine is a wiz at soldering, but programming is a different matter.

Just curious, if a BMW dealership needs to replace a cluster to repair the car, they must have a way to program at least a brand new cluster, right? Will soldering a blank chip make the used cluster appear 'brand new'? Or is the EEPROM pre-programmed before it's installed in the cluster?

Alex
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper325es View Post
Got it. Assuming I install a new EEPROM in the instrument cluster, it will still need to be programmed, right? I.e., not a DIY job? A friend of mine is a wiz at soldering, but programming is a different matter.

Just curious, if a BMW dealership needs to replace a cluster to repair the car, they must have a way to program at least a brand new cluster, right? Will soldering a blank chip make the used cluster appear 'brand new'? Or is the EEPROM pre-programmed before it's installed in the cluster?

Alex
Yes, new EEPROM has to be programmed, not in car, it has to be done using programmer.

I think the EEPROM is pre-programmed, they just write in VIN there and code.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

You can do what ****** said or
You can solder a blank chip onto odometer and replace it in ista p.
Remember to check what part numbers it ask you to buy before soldering the chip onto any odometer. As it allows only certain part numbers.
      05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Quote:
Its kombi and cas as far as I know.
      05-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Its kombi and cas as far as I know.
Exactly, kombi (Instrument cluster).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Exactly, kombi (Instrument cluster).
You made me confused by writing IHK above. Its a different module and I was like WTF....
      05-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
pweber
Banned
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You made me confused by writing IHK above. Its a different module and I was like WTF....
Yes, IHK is the air conditioning
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #14
OldIrishE90
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320d

Automatic vs Manual cluster swap

Quote:
Quote:
I bought a 2nd hand cluster for my 320d. Although it has transpired that it came from and automatic and mine is manual so it's showing a transmission fault even though it's not an automatic. When I get this codes with my vin will the cluster know that my car is manual and stop with the warning light? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
LMB335IS
Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldIrishE90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I bought a 2nd hand cluster for my 320d. Although it has transpired that it came from and automatic and mine is manual so it's showing a transmission fault even though it's not an automatic. When I get this codes with my vin will the cluster know that my car is manual and stop with the warning light? Thanks in advance
It will show the error(s) until you have the old VIN erased and default code the cluster to write your VIN and code it according to your VO
      10-21-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
OldIrishE90
Rep
Drives: Bmw e90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It will show the error(s) until you have the old VIN erased and default code the cluster to write your VIN and code it according to your VO
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB335IS View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for the info!
Appreciate 0