E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 - Ocassionally cutting out when cranking?

10-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

E90 - Ocassionally cutting out when cranking?

Hi All,

So this doesn't happen often, but once or twice now I've turned the ignition on and then pressed the start button once more and it cranks once and then all the lights dim, like imagine the battery is almost flat out dead or you disconnect the battery while cranking, it does that..

Second time it started absolutely fine and it did the same thing today. Initially I was wondering whether it may have been a ground strap or something but then I was thinking I'd have to be very lucky for it only to ever happen on crank and not have the car cutout when driving.

It could be completely unrelated but recently I have had the airbag light come on which ISTA states is the Battery Safety Terminal resistance being too low/high. Its not surprising because the amount of times I've got the battery cables caught while trying to nicely place that humongous battery back in haha.

But yeah, what we thinking on this one? Battery was brand spanking new maybe 6 months ago, alternator is brand new (lucas) battery voltage is fine as I constantly see it due to the dash cam app I use connects to the Carly OBD adapter so I always see voltage, temps etc

And to be clear, when it does happen it completely loses power, I know this because I have to turn the Carly Adapter back on, the only time I ever have to physically turn that on is when I've removed the battery before.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Appreciate 0