E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Random E93 Hardtop won't Open/Close? Any E93 Owners Experienced this?

03-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #1
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: E93

Random E93 Hardtop won't Open/Close? Any E93 Owners Experienced this?

Finally the beautiful weather is around! So I went out with my E93 for a ride (couple of days ago), opened up the roof (haven't done it since last year I would say) and all is fine. Get back home, tried to close the roof, boot lid opened but the hardtop wouldn't come up (no errors on CIC screen).

Found that strange, closed the boot using the hardtop switch, turned off the car, turn back on, tried to close ir, boot came up, hard top closed just fine. So I thought it was just some weird glitch.

Anyways, today I tried to open the roof, turned on the car, boot lid came up but hard top wouldn't open!! I could see it did unlock itself but the hard top wouldn't move an inch. Again, i thought it was just something random, I tried again and the boot wouldn't open. Pressed the switch and hard top locks itself in place. Turn off the car, go back to the boot compartment and messed around the the cables on the battery compartment (if you guys read my last thread, I had an issue with the battery connector). Closed to boot, turned on car, tried the process again and then roof just opened!!! Came back home, tried to close it, it closed just fine.

So Im thinking, could it be that the roof has been closed for so long or maybe something to do with the hydraulics? Or perhaps some connection back on the boot? I was thinking about taking to the stealers, but I think they would say something and rob me a few hundred quid for something that could be simple?

Thanks again
      03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
D_Boi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 LCI M Sport

I had the same issue today funny enough, but I took a close look when it was trying to open it. It seems it either needs greasing or the hydraulic system needs to be sorted. After a few getting stuck issues, rest of the day has been fine (open and closed it at least 5 times since.)

Modz: Bmw Black grills//Bmw Performance Exhaust//M3 style boot lip//window trim wrap...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
Alfamale
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Ditto re greasing, had this on a friends E93 the roof wouldn't rise out of the boot when down. Transpired to be one of the guides rubbing.

Healthy dose of copper grease on all moving parts and it's worked faultlessly since.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Mine was in at the dealers on Thursday due to not closing, needed a gentle lift on the drivers side to get it started, looks like they greased everything up and it's fine now, hope it's nothing more than that for yours OP
      03-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Boi View Post
I had the same issue today funny enough, but I took a close look when it was trying to open it. It seems it either needs greasing or the hydraulic system needs to be sorted. After a few getting stuck issues, rest of the day has been fine (open and closed it at least 5 times since.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_cab View Post
Ditto re greasing, had this on a friends E93 the roof wouldn't rise out of the boot when down. Transpired to be one of the guides rubbing.

Healthy dose of copper grease on all moving parts and it's worked faultlessly since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
Mine was in at the dealers on Thursday due to not closing, needed a gentle lift on the drivers side to get it started, looks like they greased everything up and it's fine now, hope it's nothing more than that for yours OP
Wow, hopefully this is it! I will give it a good grease I guess, last time I did it was back in June (maybe it needs a bit more?)
      03-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #6
Maxwell1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i Convertible

Defo cleaning an greasing required on the latches. Mine went back to dealer for the same issue, front latches which attach to roof we're sticking. Been fine since.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
How odd. My wife's car experienced this only yesterday.
      03-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell1 View Post
Defo cleaning an greasing required on the latches. Mine went back to dealer for the same issue, front latches which attach to roof we're sticking. Been fine since.
how much at the stealers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
How odd. My wife's car experienced this only yesterday.

Hopefully its only once!
      03-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #9
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Does it say roof movement impaired on the screen? I had this problem regularly. It turned out to be a small plastic type tube sensor where the boot/roof pins lock into, when the boot opens up for the roof the pins come out of the tube and a metal clip should pop out inside the tube telling the car the boot has opened. When that clip didn't pop out the car things the boot is still closed. The clue for me was the roof wouldn't go up until I heard a click noise. This was the point when the clip finally popped back out, BMW replaced this sensor (finally after many visits and me actually ending up finding the fault), never did it again after that
      03-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
Does it say roof movement impaired on the screen? I had this problem regularly. It turned out to be a small plastic type tube sensor where the boot/roof pins lock into, when the boot opens up for the roof the pins come out of the tube and a metal clip should pop out inside the tube telling the car the boot has opened. When that clip didn't pop out the car things the boot is still closed. The clue for me was the roof wouldn't go up until I heard a click noise. This was the point when the clip finally popped back out, BMW replaced this sensor (finally after many visits and me actually ending up finding the fault), never did it again after that

Don't get that on the screen. Iam waiting for another good sunny day to open a few times and grease it up as recommended.
Thanks for your input!
      03-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Just to update this. Haven't had any issues with the roof since, but I did open it in stages and gave each moving joint a squirt of white grease.....
      03-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
hmpmarketing
BMW Fan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Just to update this. Haven't had any issues with the roof since, but I did open it in stages and gave each moving joint a squirt of white grease.....

Update: I did as suggested here, lubbed all moving joints and problem is gone! Thanks guys
      11-12-2020, 04:11 PM   #13
tou98
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Quote:
Hi do you remember what sensor this was I have a similar problem with my E93, it says roof movement impaired.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tou98 View Post
Quote:
Hi do you remember what sensor this was I have a similar problem with my E93, it says roof movement impaired.
It was just behind the headrest (highlighted below with a yellow arrow). There's a black plastic hole where a roof pin goes into, as the roof comes up and the pin comes out of the hole a silver disk should pop up inside the hole (assume this tells a sensor the roof is out). This disk inside was sticking, thus it wasn't popping up immediately and the car was reporting an impairment issue.
I have a video of it happening that clearly shows the disk popping up eventually if that would be of help, it's on an iPhone if you know of away to get it over to you? Drop me a pm if so and I should get an email notification as I’m very rarely on here these days

Che

Last edited by chedixon; 12-14-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0