E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > US Spec E91 328i in Europe, service schedule

04-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F46 B48; 2011 E91 N52

US Spec E91 328i in Europe, service schedule

Hi All,

I should take delivery of my 2011 328i Wagon (US Spec) later this June. The car will spend the first few years of its life in The Netherlands.

As the car is US-Spec, can anyone suggest a service schedule? I guess I am most concerned with fluid change intervals. I understand that the BMWNA suggested schedule is 13-17K miles between oil changes. I am planning to keep the car for a long time--am thinking that 5,000 - 7,500 mile intervals may be more appropriate.

Also, I know that this has been covered before, but anyone have any new feedback re a post-break-in service? If yes, your advice is appreciated.

One more thing: What about the fuel? Should I avoid the 100 Oct stuff that is available here?

Thanks,

R
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
bmw6953
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Shorter oil change intervals are great if you plan on keeping your car for a long time (5k-7k) is a good choice. I would even change all the fluids out coolent(every 2 year),diff every (50k), and transmission. (50k), spark plugs(50K) as preventative maintanence. As far as fuel 100 OCTANE , you cant go wrong with it. Even though i doubt your car needs to run of that much octane.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
Hi All,

I should take delivery of my 2011 328i Wagon (US Spec) later this June. The car will spend the first few years of its life in The Netherlands.

As the car is US-Spec, can anyone suggest a service schedule? I guess I am most concerned with fluid change intervals. I understand that the BMWNA suggested schedule is 13-17K miles between oil changes. I am planning to keep the car for a long time--am thinking that 5,000 - 7,500 mile intervals may be more appropriate.

Also, I know that this has been covered before, but anyone have any new feedback re a post-break-in service? If yes, your advice is appreciated.

One more thing: What about the fuel? Should I avoid the 100 Oct stuff that is available here?

Thanks,

R
Euro 100 (RON) is equivalent to USA 96 ((R+M)/2). The car will run fine, but it won't perform any better than what we have here: USA 93 / Euro 98. Even the German 335i won't run better on Euro 100 as it was optimized to Euro 98. This, anyway, according to Powertrain Project Manager, Udo Lindner: "On the other hand, if you run the car on 100 octane [RON] you won't see more than 300hp. We have 100 in Germany and there are no gains in either power or economy because the electronics are optimized." I assume the N52 is similar.
      04-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep

@BCube, BMW6953,

Many thanks for the insight.

Anything else anyone might suggest re keeping a US-Spec 328i E91 in Western Europe?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
m@rco
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i MT6; 1969 Renault 4L

The BMW dealer should give you good advice. They deal with US-spec cars because Dutch people that return from an assignment in the US often import their US bought vehicles. You may be able to activate some of the Euro-spec features at the dealer too: remote closing of windows, roof and mirrors with the key-fob, etc. What about your rear fog lights? Not that Holland is very foggy at all... Just don't put on your hazards when visibility goes down, like people do here in Houston . Installing a new light switch will do the trick and you can do it yourself. Just don't use your rear fog lights when visibility is NOT less than 50m! Pretty strickt rules overthere, and by not following them, you irritate other drivers who may think you're stepping on the brakes. Front fog lights may only be used during reduced visibility and NOT for the nice looks during a clear day.

Last edited by m@rco; 05-16-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rco View Post
The BMW dealer should give you good advice. They deal with US-spec cars because Dutch people that return from an assignment in the US often import their US bought vehicles. You may be able to activate some of the Euro-spec features at the dealer too: remote closing of windows, roof and mirrors with the key-fob, etc. What about your rear fog lights? Not that Holland is very foggy at all... Just don't put on your hazards when visibility goes down, like people do here in Houston . Installing a new light switch will do the trick and you can do it yourself. Just don't use your rear fog lights when visibility is NOT less than 50m! Pretty strickt rules overthere, and by not following them, you irritate other drivers who may think you're stepping on the brakes. Front fog lights may only be used during reduced visibility and NOT for the nice looks during a clear day.
Hey M@rco,

I did not realize that the front fogs could not be used unless the weather is crap (which, to be honest, is 75% of the time!). Good to know!

As for maint., I think I am going to do oil every 7500 miles. I may do the rear fog light switch "mod" (saw the DIY yesterday)'.

Car is comming off the line at the end of week 22 2010. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0