E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Stop/Start not working

12-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #1
LazLon
Rep
Drives: E90

Stop/Start not working

Recently when my wife was driving my E90 (318), there was a message on the iDrive screen saying Stop/Start has been disabled for some reason. Since then it hasn't been working. I tried checking vehicle status and says no faults. Does anyone know how to enable it ?. The stop/start button has not been pushed (i.e. indicator light is off).

Thanks for any info.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

im thinking if it has anything to do with amount of fuel you have in the car?

regars
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

1st port of call is diagnosis to check power management, then chances are you'll be replacing the battery AGM spec and you'll need to get the battery coded then check via diagnostic clear codes accordingly.

Stop starts been disabled if the battery is partially exhausted as the car deems this isn't vital and will disable the function accordingly, if you are code wise unlucky you could have an IBS functionality issue too but first thing first check replace battery as required.
      12-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
E92Dan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330d

IBS.......what, Irritable bowel syndrome?!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
LazLon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz780 View Post
im thinking if it has anything to do with amount of fuel you have in the car?

regars
Tank is about 75% full.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
LazLon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
1st port of call is diagnosis to check power management, then chances are you'll be replacing the battery AGM spec and you'll need to get the battery coded then check via diagnostic clear codes accordingly.

Stop starts been disabled if the battery is partially exhausted as the car deems this isn't vital and will disable the function accordingly, if you are code wise unlucky you could have an IBS functionality issue too but first thing first check replace battery as required.
Thanks for that. Is there a way to check battery voltage via the iDrive menus or do I need a diagnostics cable/software ?.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazLon View Post
Thanks for that. Is there a way to check battery voltage via the iDrive menus or do I need a diagnostics cable/software ?.
No needs to be correctly and properly via a diagnostic no drop tests like you'd do in the old days as these prove too inconclusive, I've just done a 118d with various clock resetting issues and other electrical problems AA drop tested battery said it was OK yet every 2-3 days battery light would come on.

We do a power management test and driver profile test and this proved that the car wasn't being "exercised "enough and as a result battery had started to lose efficiency.

So replace battery/IBS set up code battery clear faults test drive re scan and this car is now spot on power mirrors work stop/start works so short answer needs to be done and done this way.
      12-18-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:

We do a power management test and driver profile test and this proved that the car wasn't being "exercised "enough and as a result battery had started to lose efficiency.
What information do you get with the "driver profile test"??
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
What information do you get with the "driver profile test"??
How the cars been driven, average speed, electrical load power consumption & power distribution, fuel used, low fuel tank ventilation info, duration of journey's and more. Its in depth and does help us a lot of the time
      12-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #10
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
How the cars been driven, average speed, electrical load power consumption & power distribution, fuel used, low fuel tank ventilation info, duration of journey's and more. Its in depth and does help us a lot of the time
You must see some interesting stuff. Would have loved to see that info on my old 330D when I was doing 112 miles a day up and down the M40 .
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
You must see some interesting stuff. Would have loved to see that info on my old 330D when I was doing 112 miles a day up and down the M40 .
Oh god we do.

Best ones we see are where we actually through the process know the cars been run low on fuel (tank ventilation activated) or poor quality fuel could of been used(around here usually supermarket stuff) through to short duration journeys being undertaken yet when we ask questions (to help people) and we are usually in most cases told the opposite, therefore the car records all the info (in terms of power management primary request is 30 days) then we can request further info and it records everything while the cars been operational including dates, times, time fault occurred, fuel in the tank the lot.

Once shown this usually gets their attention as the info's recorded
      12-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Leah1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Quote:
Oh god we do.

Best ones we see are where we actually through the process know the cars been run low on fuel (tank ventilation activated) or poor quality fuel could of been used(around here usually supermarket stuff) through to short duration journeys being undertaken yet when we ask questions (to help people) and we are usually in most cases told the opposite, therefore the car records all the info (in terms of power management primary request is 30 days) then we can request further info and it records everything while the cars been operational including dates, times, time fault occurred, fuel in the tank the lot.

How do you do this test ?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah1 View Post
How do you do this test ?
Via our AutoLogic unit or BMW ISTA 3 unit
      12-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
LazLon
Rep

Quote:
Oh god we do.

Thanks for the useful info. Just out of interest, which fuel would you recommend for a petrol E90 ?. I usually use Esso since they tend to be the cheapest around here for non supermarket fuel.
Appreciate 0